IGNORED

Indus GT in original case...collectible?

themrfreeze

Hi guys.

A few years ago, I picked up a complete Atari 800 system for my son to play around with. He spent a few weeks pecking away on the keyboard in Memo Pad, lost interest, and I put it up in the attic.

I've now decided that it's necessary for me to relive my high school years on a semi-regular basis, so I'm going to set up the 800 permanently. The system included a whole bunch of things....the 800 itself (in great condition), 850 interface, Epson printer, software.......and an Indus GT floppy drive.

The Indus comes in its original plastic case, with power supply and SIO cable. There are TWO mint sets of the included software & manuals, two warranty cards, and the cardboard dividers that turn the case into a disk holder (plus the instructions for assembling them). The drive itself is in really good shape...it worked just fine when I first got it. There are a few minor scratches on the metal case and the plexiglass cover, and the plexiglass is slightly warped...it doesn't quite sit flush on the right side when closed.

I was looking around on eBay for more Atari stuff, and it seems that vintage 8-bit stuff in really good condition is being seriously collected now. I'm wondering if the Indus has become a collectible item, and as such, I shouldn't use it on a regular basis. I'd have no qualms about selling it to a collector and using some 1050s or even 810s, but if the Indus really isn't a big time collectible I'll just use it.

Hi guys.

A few years ago, I picked up a complete Atari 800 system for my son to play around with. He spent a few weeks pecking away on the keyboard in Memo Pad, lost interest, and I put it up in the attic.

I've now decided that it's necessary for me to relive my high school years on a semi-regular basis, so I'm going to set up the 800 permanently. The system included a whole bunch of things....the 800 itself (in great condition), 850 interface, Epson printer, software.......and an Indus GT floppy drive.

The Indus comes in its original plastic case, with power supply and SIO cable. There are TWO mint sets of the included software & manuals, two warranty cards, and the cardboard dividers that turn the case into a disk holder (plus the instructions for assembling them). The drive itself is in really good shape...it worked just fine when I first got it. There are a few minor scratches on the metal case and the plexiglass cover, and the plexiglass is slightly warped...it doesn't quite sit flush on the right side when closed.

I was looking around on eBay for more Atari stuff, and it seems that vintage 8-bit stuff in really good condition is being seriously collected now. I'm wondering if the Indus has become a collectible item, and as such, I shouldn't use it on a regular basis. I'd have no qualms about selling it to a collector and using some 1050s or even 810s, but if the Indus really isn't a big time collectible I'll just use it.

I sure hope they are......two of mine are all original with cases and software. :lust:

Hi guys.

I have mine set up (almost) permanently too. Great for playing a quick game or two when time permits. Did your son try any games on the system? Just curious what the new genereation thinks of the old school games.

Yes, certain Atari 800 stuff is going for good $$ on eBay. Atari 800s, 130XEs, 810s, and Indus GTs all fetch decent money. I have been wanting an Indus for a LONG time now. I wish I had kept my original one. :(

~telengard

I have mine set up (almost) permanently too. Great for playing a quick game or two when time permits. Did your son try any games on the system? Just curious what the new genereation thinks of the old school games.

I pulled a 2600 out of the attic one Saturday, and despite my inability to get a good quality picture out of it, he took to it quickly. Now, he actually oscillates between the PlayStation 2 and the 2600 emulator I set up on our Mac Mini (which does home theater duty). It's odd to hear a 6 year old kid in the year 2007 tell me that he wants to play Atari.

I'm sure he'll take to some of the 8-bit games though....I described BoulderDash to him, and he's dying to try it out.

Yes, certain Atari 800 stuff is going for good $$ on eBay. Atari 800s, 130XEs, 810s, and Indus GTs all fetch decent money. I have been wanting an Indus for a LONG time now. I wish I had kept my original one. :(

Same here...the Indus was my first 8-bit drive. I got one for Christmas in '84 or '85, but sold it when I switched to the ST in '87. I can't quite decide if I want to use the Indus, or if I want to pick up an 810 and have a 100% "original" system (and yes, I know how dorky that sounds). :)

I pulled a 2600 out of the attic one Saturday, and despite my inability to get a good quality picture out of it, he took to it quickly. Now, he actually oscillates between the PlayStation 2 and the 2600 emulator I set up on our Mac Mini (which does home theater duty). It's odd to hear a 6 year old kid in the year 2007 tell me that he wants to play Atari.

I'm sure he'll take to some of the 8-bit games though....I described BoulderDash to him, and he's dying to try it out.

Same here...the Indus was my first 8-bit drive. I got one for Christmas in '84 or '85, but sold it when I switched to the ST in '87. I can't quite decide if I want to use the Indus, or if I want to pick up an 810 and have a 100% "original" system (and yes, I know how dorky that sounds). :)

Hehe, that's not dorky at all if you ask me. And I'd gladly, ahem, take that Indus GT off your hands for the sake of said "originality" ;) :cool:

I've actually got three GT's now. Two boxed complete and one loose. One box has the cardboard style divider setup and the other is a molded disk carrier on the inside. GTs are the coolest floppy drives ever made in my book :cool: As far as price, they fetch a decent amount but nothing staggering - so don't have any qualms about using them.

Too bad there was no Happy for the GTs.