IGNORED

XF551 OSes

What happens when this OS is used with Synchromesh or Super-Sync? IIRC, it is 68Kbps and 72Kbps.

It uses the same protocol. High bit set on Command frame indicates that Data frame goes high speed. UltraSpeed sends both command and data frame at the negotiated speed. USDoubler and XF/Indus are different.

Does this OS support Indus and its clones?

Edited by Kyle22
clarity

6 hours ago, Marius said:

Is there anyone here who might want to test that on their setup

As a comparison, I just formatted a fresh DSDD disk with a stock XF551 running in it's native highspeed mode / 38400bps / POKEY divisor 16 ($10 in hex) with SpartaDOS X:

Writing: 2265 B/sec

Reading: 2281 B/sec

So if you're getting 3K/sec, you're definitely faster than a stock unit, and your disk appears to have been formatted with an appropriately faster interleave. (We should stop using 'skew' as that technically refers to track-to-track layout offset)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just a crazy idea to extract the FW from the Intel 8050 chip : maybe there is a way to extract the firmware they way that @warerat extracted it from the 850 (using an Atari program). 

I also found these two interesting links (they don't cover the 8050 specifically but it might help since it cover the same family of uP)

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/intel/8048/9800270D_MCS-48_Family_Users_Manual_Jul78.pdf

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/simple-programmer-for-vintage-intel-mcs-48-microcontroller/

This last one shows that Willem programmer might be compatible:

http://www.mpu51.com/eprom/eprom3.htm

5 hours ago, manterola said:

Just a crazy idea to extract the FW from the Intel 8050 chip : maybe there is a way to extract the firmware they way that @warerat extracted it from the 850 (using an Atari program). 

I also found these two interesting links (they don't cover the 8050 specifically but it might help since it cover the same family of uP)

I was reviewing the Alitrra Hardware Reference Manual and I see it currently only describes the XF551 with an 8040 CPU and external ROM. As per your discovery, maybe @phaeron would be interested to include a note about a variant using an 8050 with internal ROM. @hunmanik's Atari 8-bit FAQ also currently notes models with an 8050, but not about it using it's internal ROM.

Unfortunately, I see nothing in the XF551's command table that could be used to read the ROM programmatically by software means...

3 hours ago, Nezgar said:

I was reviewing the Alitrra Hardware Reference Manual and I see it currently only describes the XF551 with an 8040 CPU and external ROM. As per your discovery, maybe @phaeron would be interested to include a note about a variant using an 8050 with internal ROM.

Unfortunately, I see nothing in the XF551's command table that could be used to read the ROM programmatically by software means...

8050 still uses the 8040 architecture, so it's not that pertinent at the level of the hardware manual describes, like FDC minor numbers. What it does do, unfortunately, is make the firmware harder to dump. The 8040 architecture having separate instruction and data spaces doesn't help in this regard, either, as it means that data fetches can't be redirected to program space or execution redirected to data buffers even if we did have a way to abuse the firmware.

The 8050 datasheets do imply that the ROM can be read back for verification with a suitable programmer and don't mention a security fuse, so it's potentially still possible without decapping the chip.

• Like 3

I have several versions of the XF os. One marked as 7.7  It is the pal fixed up version of the original one.

Another one marked as ABCD  ??!!?? It is the same as 7.7 except for these lines added @ 9E0

9AF        ANL     P1,#0EFH       has been replaced with      JMP    X09E0

X09E0:     IN    A,P1               ; 09e0 - 09    .
                ANL    A,#8            ; 09e1 - 53 08    S.
                JZ    X09F0             ; 09e3 - c6 f0    Fp   wrong.??????????????????????
               ANL    P2,#0CFH       ; 09e5 - 9a cf    .O
               ORL    P2,#10H          ; 09e7 - 8a 10    ..
               ANL    P1,#0E7H       ; 09e9 - 99 e7    .g
               JMP    X09B1            ; 09eb - 24 b1    $1
;
               ORL    P2,#30H         ; 09ed - 8a 30    .0
              ORL    P1,#8             ; 09ef - 89 08    ..
              ANL    P1,#0EFH       ; 09f1 - 99 ef    .o
             JMP    X09B1             ; 09f3 - 24 b1    $1

The instruction at 9e3 doesn't make any sense.

I also have the CSS single drive os. It requires the dongle as it is the copy protection. However, looking through the code , you can soon spot what bytes to NOP out to bypass that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nezgar said:

So I'll need to build something like this to read data from the chip.. this is for the Willem programmer..

http://www.mpu51.com/eprom/pdf/AD-MCS48_41_SCH.zip

Edited by manterola

11 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

I also have the CSS single drive os. It requires the dongle as it is the copy protection. However, looking through the code , you can soon spot what bytes to NOP out to bypass that.

That would be great to have a cracked/patched version that would work without anything more than a ROM replacement!

Is this "The XF Update" as described here? : http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/XFupdate.htm If so, I would like to test out the "true Ultra Speed data transfer (actually, slightly faster than the 1050 Ultra Speed)"

8 hours ago, Nezgar said:

That would be great to have a cracked/patched version that would work without anything more than a ROM replacement!

Is this "The XF Update" as described here? : http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/XFupdate.htm If so, I would like to test out the "true Ultra Speed data transfer (actually, slightly faster than the 1050 Ultra Speed)"

Yes. Same one. It has been fixed to work on PAL. The original he made didn't. Cannot remember but i think V 1.3 is the one that works everywhere.

$13f and $140.  change to 0

$1A5 and $1A6. change to 0

$1a9 and $1AA  change to 0

• 1 year later...