IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2007

Bunsen

I am trying to figure out ECKN, but even with the help file read I have no idea what to do on this game.

By the way when you 100% read the help file the game re-inits wrong, and the guy on the left is garbaged (and so is the music)

Marius

p.s. aah I find out what to do. Ok... not 100% my game, but it looks nice. But that YOOMP! That is a great game. Man I really LIKE that.

Edited by Marius1976

I am trying to figure out ECKN, but even with the help file read I have no idea what to do on this game.

By the way when you 100% read the help file the game re-inits wrong, and the guy on the left is garbaged (and so is the music)

Marius

p.s. aah I find out what to do. Ok... not 100% my game, but it looks nice. But that YOOMP! That is a great game. Man I really LIKE that.

Hi Marius,

do you know the st-game znax? This game has almost the same rules than eckn. You must find a rectangel or a square with same colors in the four corners. Than you have to mark two facing corners. Bigger rectangels means more points. If you marked right, all stones in the rectangel will change randomly.

Gunnar.

Hi Marius,

do you know the st-game znax? This game has almost the same rules than eckn. You must find a rectangel or a square with same colors in the four corners. Than you have to mark two facing corners. Bigger rectangels means more points. If you marked right, all stones in the rectangel will change randomly.

Gunnar.

Yes, Znax is great game and good for conversion for little Atari...

Hi all,

Thanks for many nice words about Yoomp!

For those that haven't seen it yet, I'm happy to announce that it will become publicly available right after ABBUC meeting, which is this weekend.

We wait with the release, as we believe that ABBUC members deserve the right to enjoy the competition entries first.

Another thing is that the current version will not work on NTSC machines. I'm curious if there is a serious interest in such a version. If so, we will try to make it.

Check http://yoomp.atari.pl/ for updates :P

(I know, I know, I'm teasing you:))

Hi all,

Thanks for many nice words about Yoomp!

And they are true. :-)

Really, it is a phantastic game considering both gameplay and technology.

I believe Yoomp! will soon get a classic like Archon, Defender, Rescue on Fractalus etc.

For those that haven't seen it yet, I'm happy to announce that it will become publicly available right after ABBUC meeting, which is this weekend.

Hopefully it won't be V1.0 of this game because the fact that you always have to start at level 1 after you switched off the ATARI really drives me MAD. :mad:

Perhaps in another version something like a password system or the ability to save? :)

Check http://yoomp.atari.pl/ for updates :P

:party: Nice.

Regards,

patjomki

Hi Folks,

This is Marius again.

I'm so happy with the new games. New software means new use with the atari 8bit. I think it is a great contest from Abbuc. Thanks to that now we have finally a few promising new titles!

I have to say ECKN is much much much more fun as I believed first. I have played it a few hours now, and I'm getting in it. I converted the game into 1 binary, so now it loads from a gameloader ;)

Yoomp and ECKN are my favorite.

One question about Crownlond. When you jump on a scanline which also has stars on it, you get some interlacing. probably no other solution than interlacing (due to limitations of the atari), but I think that interlacing is not so pretty. It annoys me a little.

For the rest. Great great games.

Marius

p.s. a little offtopic: I found also the SIDPLAYER 1.0 beta on the Abbuc Magazin #90. Runs great, but do you have to 'modify' SID files first to use it? I tried outrun.sid but that one made the atari crash. Hmmm. I would love to play SID music on my a8.

I'm not able to reproduce your problem. Maybe the distribution causes this problem?

BTW: I will also release ECKN for everyone after the contest (with some glitches removed), if 'fandal' is willing to

put it on his page... ;)

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

@irgendwer

Hmmm it is a strange 'bug' ... sometimes when I play the game the cursor goes wrong, or the picture of that guy on the left is turned BLUE!

Besides that: you did a great job. It took me a while to figure out how it works, but now I understand, and guess what: tonight I had a nightmare about myself constructing squares everywhere (I played the game the whole day... and always when I do that, this results in nightmares and other bad dreams)... but take that as a compliment.

I'm glad you wrote that game. My first reaction was: It's not my type of game, but I love it. And my wife does too. I showed her Yoomp, and she said: very original... but I get a headache of it ;)

So I put the ECKN on the 16MB partition and now she knows how to start it herself ;)

Great work!

Marius

p.s. If you like I could try to write a better song for that game. The only thing I don't like is the music... it is a little too boring, for such a nice game. Logic games really could have nice music (like mental age).

The game itself is (nearly) perfect and highly addictive, so beware :)

We know the programmers, we have Internet.

The game can become perfect!

20 years ago we were not so lucky!

And not to forget. The game is freeware. :roll:

Apart from that I didn't want to state that the game is far away from being perfect just the other way round. Haven't seen a game on the XL before that uses so many unseen effects, good sounds in stereo etc.

10 out of 10.

Regards,

patjomki

Reading this thread it like a dream! Am I going to wake up soon? :cool:

I had no idea that this quantity or quality of Atari 8-bit development was still occuring until I stumbled upon this thread. I was aware of the yearly contests, but did not realize how outstanding the work being done actually was.

Posting the thread and screenshots may have an influence on voting, but in the end it was definately a good idea for overall promotion. Maybe next year, have each entry submit the same number of screenshots and let them choose exactly which screenshots they want used.

All of them appear to be excellent entries.

Edited by Xebec's Demise

Posting the thread and screenshots may have an influence on voting, but in the end it was definately a good idea for overall promotion. Maybe next year, have each entry submit the same number of screenshots and let them choose exactly which screenshots they want used.

Perhaps. First of all, I think this thread is indeed definately a good idea. My first idea of ECKN was: hmmm don't understand, what is this for a silly game? But thanks to this thread I found out ECKN is not so bad... in fact it is a rather cool game.

In this thread the authors get a chance to promote their contribution, AND to describe/show things.

Just like in the 'real world' ... the promotion is some times the missing link (like an 'x' factor). With the promotion here, and while reading the posts here, I went curious and booted the Abbuc disks. I really doubt if I would have been so excited if I did not read this post.

I have voted for all contributions, but my favorites were Yoomp (10), Crownland (8) and Eckn (7).

Mulewars looks very good, but I really do not like that kind of games. And about that "harry" game. I've tried it, and tried it again, and again and again. I didn't get very far... that did frustrate a little. Sorry for that author. I really want to thank him for all his work.... but fair is fair the other games took my attention more.

Thanks to this contest I went searching for other new games. (I had a little atari pause from 2004-2007) and I found a few toppers. One of my favorites is FlowersMania. Does anyone else play that game? It is really fabulous. Finally a tetris clone that looks good, sounds good, plays very well and has some new features. Yes besides the new games from the Abbuc Contest, I really L O V E flowersmania.

Thanks

Marius

Reading this thread it like a dream! Am I going to wake up soon? :cool:

I had no idea that this quantity or quality of Atari 8-bit development was still occuring until I stumbled upon this thread.

All of them appear to be excellent entries.

You are absolutely right. You could see this on JHV of the ABBUC.

It was a tough competition but I think to keep the thrill I shut my mouth and you have to wait until the results are officially presented to the public by ABBUC. :)

Regards,

patjomki

Also congratulations to the winner(s).

Contest 2007 has brought us a few great games.

Greetz

Marius

p.s. My offer to the author of Eckn is still there: I want to compose new tunes for your game. I think your game really needs better music. The rest of Eckn is GREAT.