IGNORED

Atari 2600 Radial Pong

Albert

I just tried it on a real 7800 using the Cuttle Cart and brand new 2600 paddles. For me, the control is a bit sluggish in responding when I turn the paddle. It feels like I'm driving an old GM car from the late 70s, you have to turn the wheel a bit before the car responds. :) So I think the paddle needs to respond immediately to any input (if possible), and needs to ramp up to speed more quickly. Perhaps you can have a "sensitivity" setting somewhere in the game. ;)

Also, I'm all for having lots of different variations to keep the game interesting. Different game types, different arenas, maybe some single player modes, etc. I look forward to watching how this develops!

..Al

Then be excited. Cuttle Cart and (PAL) 2600 Jnr. Real paddles (bit twitchy though).

WOO HOO! :grin: And it works on PAL too? I wonder how that happened. I didn't put any PAL code in there that I know of. :ponder:

As for the ranges, they're good, but it's sometimes hard to stop in exactly the right place. I'm suggesting that when you hold down the fire button it moves at the same (low) rate regardless of what range it's in.

That's a good idea and shouldn't be hard for me to implement.

It feels like I'm driving an old GM car from the late 70s

LOL.. Are you sure that the control is lagging behind the paddle turn? Some other possibilities: is it getting to a fast speed too slowly? do you have to turn the paddle too far for it to start moving? The player positions are updated every frame, so that SHOULD be 1/60th of a second response time with no noticeable lag. Maybe I can get away with a smaller dead zone and faster initial movement after adding the button to slow down.

Thanks to you both for your testing! :love:

calamari

And it works on PAL too? I wonder how that happened. I didn't put any PAL code in there that I know of.

It's probably generating a PAL 60 signal. That's PAL colours (generated by the PAL 2600) and NTSC timing (generated by your code). My TV copes happily with anything from 50 to 60 Hz with either NTSC or PAL colour encoding.

Hmm... After writing that I'm not sure that's exactly how it works.

I plan on having a label contest sometime in the future (with Albert/Alex's permission), but I'm terrible at finishing these kinds of projects on any kind of a schedule, so I'd like to hold off on it for now. I'd hate for you to go thru all that work until I am mostly done with the cart.

If you are interested in jotting down ideas, that's cool! I would like to mention one design detail: Stay away from using "Atari" graphics, fonts, or metallic colors.

Thanks!

calamari

Without any knowledge of the Core game (which is nonexistant BTW), OG and I came up with round pong .. which he programmed as Rounders on the Vectrex. BTW: Rounders is the first game ever to use the Atari Driving Controllers (not including Stell-a-Sketch which is not a game).

Here's an idea for a variation: Gameplay is a round "pie" border in which the ball bounces. At 12 o'clock there is a section of pie missing over which the paddle moves to contain the bouncing, ricocheting ball. As gameplay progresses, sections of the pie disappear from the top making a greater arc over which the paddle travels to contain the ball. Over time the pie border (bottom arc) is smaller and smaller and arc of paddle travel gameplay is greater and greater to contain the ball. Score is how many hits with the paddle ... until a miss.

another variation: Pie rotates slowly as pieces of pie disappear and the paddle has to contain the ball within the gap arc.

speed up version ...

What do you think?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Gameplay is a round "pie" border in which the ball bounces. At 12 o'clock there is a section of pie missing over which the paddle moves to contain the bouncing, ricocheting ball. As gameplay progresses, sections of the pie disappear

Sounds cool.. I dunno if I will be able to pull it off or not, unless I do it in playfield resolution.

Small progress report.. the ball starts in the middle now and travels toward player 1 (to stick to the paddle), however in certain positions, the ball misses the paddle :!: so I need to fine tune it a little. After I can get it to hit reliably then I will work on the code to have the ball travel with the paddle. After I get that, then I will add the ability to serve the ball then add some sounds too :D

Has anyone had the chance to try the new version of the controls on the 2600? I'm wondering if it handles any better.

Thanks,

calamari

• 12 years later...
  • 5 years later...

We'll be checking out Radial Pong on tomorrow's (Fri Jul 10) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1778153109_20200710-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.c9375800ec5b2fe337413d05af38ebbe.jpg

• Like 1