IGNORED

130XE (64X4) DRAMS?

Larry

I need to finish other things first. The current 4 bit Dram 130XE upgrade has peculiarities I am running out of ideas on. Though they spark old memory bits.

Rick.

Well, looking at ram specs has shown me a possible cause, and a solution. If that doesn't work, I have 2 other ideas.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I've developed a ram upgrade, to put 256K chips in the second bank of 2 sockets..its a plug in daughter board with only three wires to solder. Can't just drop in chips, the pinouts are different.

But, I don't have this type of xe to test the prototype on.

Rick D.

AUG 27, 2007.....

The 256K memory upgrade prototype I tested with a borrowed 130XE(Thx Larry W), using 2 drams for the upper bank has passed all of the tests. I am having PCBs made which will arrive on Aug 29. So I'll have pcb, kit, and assembled available. Advert on my site.

I am also updating the standard 130XE upgrade, 256K using 8 drams.

Rick D.

In the past I made a 320XE out of an 65XE with 2x 4bit DRAMS

First I used 2 44256 RAMS, but for some reason I had random data failures with these. I still don't know why. Perhaps someone can explain. I remade this upgrade 3 times (all the time with new 44256 rams), but still problems.

Then I replaced the 44256's rams with a SIMM and then everything works fine.

I don't know what problem that was...

Perhaps something with the refresh. I stabalised the Atari with the stabalising mod of Bob Puff... so there were no PH0/PH2 problems on this XE.

Perhaps someone has tips?

Marius

First I used 2 44256 RAMS, but for some reason I had random data failures with these. I still don't know why. Perhaps someone can explain. I remade this upgrade 3 times (all the time with new 44256 rams), but still problems.

Perhaps something with the refresh. I stabalised the Atari with the stabalising mod of Bob Puff... so there were no PH0/PH2 problems on this XE.

Marius

Do you have any details of your upgrades (44256 and SIMM)? Wiring diagram or such?

-Larry

This is the same upgrade as already described in this topic, but when I have some time this week, I'll draw it. It is really a SIMPLE upgrade.

But the 130XE bankswitching PAL is needed for this one. I still think that is the best solution.

I'll let you know later this week (i hope)

Marius

Marius

The 1 bit 64K and 256K, and 4 bit 64K dram all have 256 cycle refresh. The 4 bit 256K dram has 512 cycle refresh, so the refresh mod has to be applied. This is what fixed my upgrade so I can get pcbs made.

Rick D.

(EDIT: I have posted info/links on my 130XE 256K memory upgrades on Sep 04 new topic.)

Edited by a8maestro

• 4 years later...

That's the original 8 chip 320k mod, but I'm talking about what MG describes here on page 1 of this thread:

you shouldve got 41256s.. Theyd work just as good. and then when you decide you want more ram, you just add 1 memory adress line, 2 lines to the pia portb outputs, a multiplexer IC and a resistor (basically 50 cents worth of parts), and youve got a scott petersen 320k XE.