IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe

PacManPlus

• 6 years later...

I know this is a major necro bump, but there's a question I've been wondering about regarding this game that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online. The question being: Is there a vectorized version of the original Asteroids game (no satellites and hyperspace instead of shields) hidden in Asteroids Deluxe? Bob seemed to hint that there was, but I haven't been able to find any reports of anyone figuring out how to access it so I thought I'd ask.

I know this is a major necro bump, but there's a question I've been wondering about regarding this game that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online. The question being: Is there a vectorized version of the original Asteroids game (no satellites and hyperspace instead of shields) hidden in Asteroids Deluxe? Bob seemed to hint that there was, but I haven't been able to find any reports of anyone figuring out how to access it so I thought I'd ask.

Yes, hold Pause while booting the system. Continue holding while you wait for the Atari logo to disappear - voila!

• Like 1

Thanks much save2600! That's exactly what I wanted to know and I'll be sure to remember it for when I'm able to pick up a copy from the AtariAge store. :D

Your going to like the Vector edition. I think it looks pretty close to the arcade version, especially when playing with the lights off.

I've had Asteroids Deluxe for a couple of years and only found out about the hidden VE earlier this year.

• 3 years later...
On 4/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, SoundGammon said:

How does one do that? I'd like to get it put on a chip!

On 4/1/2020 at 8:26 PM, Trebor said:

Someone would need to modify the assembly source code for the color value and compile.

Out of my skill set unfortunately.

Evidently, I was short changing myself; had some extra hobby time on my hands and performed the requested color hack.  Nothing fancy here, all I did was change the green (and pink) to blue.

Two versions.  One all blue, including Player 2.  The other version leaves Player 2 pink, since some may want that for the modes which have the players ship's on the screen simultaneously.  

Attached are plain vanilla binaries and header ROMs:

Asteroids Deluxe (Blue Hack) (P2 Pink) (20200405).a78Asteroids Deluxe (Blue Hack) (20200405).binAsteroids Deluxe (Blue Hack) (20200405).a78Asteroids Deluxe (Blue Hack) (P2 Pink) (20200405).bin

• Like 7

• 2 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Asteroids Deluxe on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1512653680_20221025-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.17305105ce29f70a7495b75f3fde2e86.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Asteroids Deluxe on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1512653680_20221025-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.17305105ce29f70a7495b75f3fde2e86.jpg

I hope to play along with you guys.

Asteroids Deluxe.jpg

• Like 2