IGNORED

Dead 130XE works with cart

tjlazer

Well I had a dead 130XE, that showed a dark red screen, more like a rusty color screen on boot. No basic.

Well just Tried a Cart and it works. Now when I try to boot to Basic it works! Hmmm I am running a RAM test now...

OK the machine seems to be working fine now!! Weird... All tests passed. I had tried the universal 4" drop before and it did not help, so I put it back in the closet. Tried it again today and she is alive!!

Edited by tjlazer

The drop only works on ST (and some Amigas). On 130XEs, almost every chip is soldered to the board... if anything, it would break open poorly done solder joints.

Glad to hear another 8bit lives on.

Ok. My friend, Darron, Who worked for over 8 years at an atari authorized service center said that 130xe xes would come in dead all the time, and you could literally hold them a foot above the table and drop them, and theyd start working fine.

some 130xes are better than others.. but personally, Ive seen them where over half of the solderjoints were almost "dry"..

and by that I mean there was not enough solder to wick through the thru holes when they were assembled. some of the holes you could actually "see daylight" through.

130xes are notorious for flakines due to poor build..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

In this particular case, I would reccommend to solder all MMU pins again.

The MMU is the only 20-pin IC in the computer.

It determines if there's a cartridge inserted and switches basic accordingly.

In my experience, this chip rarely fails. (On many boards it may be replaced with a Gal 16V8 and an aditional 74LS95 on the empty spot on the board)

BR/

Guus

• 2 weeks later...