IGNORED

EA game One on One help

Dropcheck

I have come into possession of this game through a ebay auction. Naturally no docs. I have tried to load this on two different 1050s and two different 8bits (800XL/130XE) I have tried with and w/o basic enabled. All I get is the EA logo and then the loading stops or depending on it's mood stutters indefinitely every couple of minutes. Does anyone know if this game requires the XL/XE translator disk? Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,

I have come into possession of this game through a ebay auction. Naturally no docs. I have tried to load this on two different 1050s and two different 8bits (800XL/130XE) I have tried with and w/o basic enabled. All I get is the EA logo and then the loading stops or depending on it's mood stutters indefinitely every couple of minutes. Does anyone know if this game requires the XL/XE translator disk? Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

It should boot with BASIC disabled on an XL/XE, without the translator (unless my memory has failed me).

Most likely, the disk is bad, and/or the drives need cleaning (assuming you already know the drives work though).

It's possible the disk could be fixed by cleaning it, but I'm not really sure the best way to do that. Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip might be OK... it's worth knowing that the data on a single-sided disk actually lives on the bottom side of the disk (the side without the label), if you're going to try this. Basically, swab the part of the disk surface that you can see through the hole in the disk, wait for it to dry, rotate the disk slightly, repeat... and repeat many more times.

Well,

it might be that the disk is bad and faulty. But it might also be the copy-protection. Try to slow down your upgraded drives (make them unhappy, etc.). If the disk still does not load - well, download a copy from the internet then. Or buy One on One on a cartridge... -Andreas Koch.

Hi,

I appreciate the suggestions. But it looks like the disk may be bad. I've tried on stock 130XE/1050 with no success. Oh well....what can you expect after twenty some odd years. :ponder:

Most of my acquired disks seem to be still okay. So I can't complain. Just have to see if I can find a copy off the net and transfer it to a 5 1/2 floppy.

Hi,

I appreciate the suggestions. But it looks like the disk may be bad. I've tried on stock 130XE/1050 with no success. Oh well....what can you expect after twenty some odd years. :ponder:

Most of my acquired disks seem to be still okay. So I can't complain. Just have to see if I can find a copy off the net and transfer it to a 5 1/2 floppy.

As far as I remember One On One needs a translator disk. You should give it a try. I don't think your disk is corrupted.

Apart from that One On One was heavily protected so I don't think that you can find an original on the net just cracked versions.

Regards,

patjomki

Fairly sure practically every EA game had the heavy copy protection, plus would dummy-spit at the scent of a modded OS (and possibly disk drive).

Best to keep the original as is for prosterity sake, even if it is corrupted.

You might luck out and find a .PRO image around somewhere.

With such an image, you could in theory write back all of the non "bad" or duplicate sectors to see if you could fix your disk.

BTW, what was the name of the eBay auctioner? We had a dodgy guy here a while back defending himself selling off dozens of probably forged Atari disk games.

Edited by Rybags

one on one is a great game -- real joystick buster if you play it right ;)

I agree with the others that the disk is probable defective -- it's tough to keep all those 1s and 0s in line for 20 years. If you are not a collector, I'd encourage you to investigate sio2pc+flashcart as a more convenient and reliable storage solution. Most games will run off a cart and people have posted images to the flashcart message board.

Fairly sure practically every EA game had the heavy copy protection, plus would dummy-spit at the scent of a modded OS (and possibly disk drive).

Best to keep the original as is for prosterity sake, even if it is corrupted.

You might luck out and find a .PRO image around somewhere.

With such an image, you could in theory write back all of the non "bad" or duplicate sectors to see if you could fix your disk.

BTW, what was the name of the eBay auctioner? We had a dodgy guy here a while back defending himself selling off dozens of probably forged Atari disk games.

Hi,

This game appears to be legit. Has the big cardboard disk container and the label on the disk appears geniune. It came as part of 130XE/1050/Misc programs/disks auction. I don't see any evidence of foul play here. :)