IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC round 7 *Dig-Dug*

Atari5200

Yeah - never thought that deeper would equal more points since its not really a disadvantage to go to the bottom of the screen vs the top :)

Always know about the horizontal on the Fygar. Ive played this to death and never paid attention - I came to the conclusion that it was random and possibly tied to the speed (ie, when the music starts playing faster :) ) I need to take another run at the Atari 8bit high score on Twin Galaxies again :)

Can I play the 5200 version ported to the Atari 800? :)

I would love to play this, have a 5200, but don't have Dig Dug.. at least I don't think I do.

What's the unspoken rule? You can play the game on a 5200 or emulated, but not a similar version on another system, like Atari 800 Dig Dug, which is basically the same except for the controller codes, which when it comes to the 5200 the controller seems to be most of the challenge. :)

Edited by doctorclu

Can I play the 5200 version ported to the Atari 800? :)

I would love to play this, have a 5200, but don't have Dig Dug.. at least I don't think I do.

What's the unspoken rule? You can play the game on a 5200 or emulated, but not a similar version on another system, like Atari 800 Dig Dug, which is basically the same except for the controller codes, which when it comes to the 5200 the controller seems to be most of the challenge. :)

Come on, doctorclu, get a clu. I'm sure you could snag a cart of DigDug for a buck or something. We're not talkin' a rare commodity here! ;)

As for the "rules," I have no idea. I use a Wico on my 5200.

Got my 5200 running and learned I did in fact have a Dig Dug cartridge. (I don't actively collect the 5200...)

So the score is...

(once my hands get a rest I might try it again).

post-4709-1184376295_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Last night I made it really far in Dig Dug :) Started from Level 1 too...

:D

That's pretty good. I'm certain we'll be playing Dig Dug in the HSC some time in the future. The 5200 HSC can always use more competition so it would be great if you'd decide to join in. Especially since this Monday will mark a brand new season and everyone starts off at on a level playing field.

Yes I really like to join ;) Dig Dug for 5200 I'm really into lately....love the hidden veggies and a game that's really got me into video games ...

my goal is to score at least 999,999 lol...

Welcome aboard Lushgirl! What other 5200 games do you have?

If you don't have many yet, I would suggest the 128-in-1 USB cart, a bit pricey, but you can try out all the roms that Atariage so generously provides here on Atariage for the 5200:

http://www.atarimax.com/usb5200/documentation/

And then pick more of the actual games at your leisure.

I have about 20 actual cartridges. As for the 128 in 1 cartridge, I've TRIED to find enough rom images to fill it up, but haven't been able to yet.

"Welcome aboard Lushgirl! What other 5200 games do you have?"

I have nine games now(with 5 more showing up in the mail soon)...I got:

Gremlins

Joust

Dig Dug

Moon Patrol

Star Raiders

Pacman

Jungle Hunt

Star Wars:The Arcade Game

Pengo

coming soon in the mail:

Centipede

Berzerk

Mr.Do's Castle

Super Breakout

Popeye

dang i can't wait!! :D

edit- yea I saw some of those multicarts (just looked at the link,sweet)......they look really neat.....the one's for the 8bit comps makes me want to buy an Atari 800 now lol..

Edited by lushgirl_80

"Welcome aboard Lushgirl! What other 5200 games do you have?"

I have nine games now(with 5 more showing up in the mail soon)...I got:

Gremlins

Joust

Dig Dug

Moon Patrol

Star Raiders

Pacman

Jungle Hunt

Star Wars:The Arcade Game

Pengo

coming soon in the mail:

Centipede

Berzerk

Mr.Do's Castle

Super Breakout

Popeye

dang i can't wait!! :D

edit- yea I saw some of those multicarts (just looked at the link,sweet)......they look really neat.....the one's for the 8bit comps makes me want to buy an Atari 800 now lol..

Your going to love Berzerk! it's Cool game.

Oh gawd I heard it even talks!!!! :P lol Sweeet! Never had that game.... I finally figured out how to play Star Raiders last night, wow after 20 years of hearing about that game I finally figure it out lol. The complexity of it is just so cool, wayyy better than most NES games I have.... my rank last night was Galactic Cook lol.

I finally fixed my controller last night too, tried Dig Dug right after and my fire buttons work so much faster now. Makes me think I got a score of 142,910 even tho I used a broken controller.... :ponder:

Oh gawd I heard it even talks!!!! :P lol Sweeet! Never had that game.... I finally figured out how to play Star Raiders last night, wow after 20 years of hearing about that game I finally figure it out lol. The complexity of it is just so cool, wayyy better than most NES games I have.... my rank last night was Galactic Cook lol.

I finally fixed my controller last night too, tried Dig Dug right after and my fire buttons work so much faster now. Makes me think I got a score of 142,910 even tho I used a broken controller.... :ponder:

Yep, it talks though Otto is more a pain then what the 2600 version is. Drats for the controllers i find myself take them apart and clean them every year. Dig Dug is great for the 5200 thas pretty darn good for a broken controller. Hope to see you in this season High Score Club.

It was such a novelty that Otto talks, I used to wonder why the option was present to turn off the voice. Then in the recent HSC for Berzerk, as I played and re-played, I found that I no longer wanted to wait until the voice was done before moving to the next screen. So its nice to have both options sometimes. Also, thankfully in Berkerk your man stops moving as soon as you press the button - hence a simple way to prevent sliding into an electrified wall with the 5200 non-centering sticks!