IGNORED

3 Saved Atari Collections

Guitarman

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Guitarman,

Have you found the floor of your garage again? :)

Yes, I have found a part of the garage floor but part of the floor in one of my bedrooms is missing!!!

Hey Guitarman,

Just wanted to keep up with the continuing saga of the saved Atari collections. :) Have you been able to clear a permanent space?

Any surprises?

Yes, still going through the last collection. Had to put it on hold for a bit. Had to get a new car and have been working my a** off to cover that down payment check going through in a few days!! Actually started taking pics of the final collection again last night and hope to have them all posted by the end of the weekend.

Definitely plan on making images of all the known missing software. After I get all the stuff gone through, I will be sending Atarimania pictures of all the software labels so we can coordinate filling in the holes.

On the ATR8000 disks, I still need to get at least 1 PC drive to connect to mine so I can copy the C/PM portion of the set. If anyone knows if I can copy all the disks with a XF551 and APE, let me know, but I think the C/PM disks will only work in a PC drive attached to the ATR8000. I have a friend who has a box of old computer stuff he is going to give me, and also has a few old 5.25 disk drives. Also, can the drive mech from a XF551 be used on the ATR8000 if removed from the case??

Edited by Guitarman

Yes, still going through the last collection. Had to put it on hold for a bit. Had to get a new car and have been working my a** off to cover that down payment check going through in a few days!! Actually started taking pics of the final collection again last night and hope to have them all posted by the end of the weekend.

Definitely plan on making images of all the known missing software. After I get all the stuff gone through, I will be sending Atarimania pictures of all the software labels so we can coordinate filling in the holes.

On the ATR8000 disks, I still need to get at least 1 PC drive to connect to mine so I can copy the C/PM portion of the set. If anyone knows if I can copy all the disks with a XF551 and APE, let me know, but I think the C/PM disks will only work in a PC drive attached to the ATR8000. I have a friend who has a box of old computer stuff he is going to give me, and also has a few old 5.25 disk drives. Also, can the drive mech from a XF551 be used on the ATR8000 if removed from the case??

Hope you can get the disks copied soon. I believe you are correct about copying the CPM disks on an IBM compatable drive.

I think the original disks are only SSSD. I don't think you have to copy them while running CPM, just find someone with and old IBM compatable, copyII PC, and a Teac 5.25 DSDD drive and you should be able to copy them. Teacs seem to work the best for copying different formated disk. I used to have an ISA card that you could even copy Atari disks using them.

Years ago I used my ATR800 with 5.25": quad drives, SSSD, SSDD, DSDD, & 1.2M(DSHD) The XF551 mech is just a DSDD

and should work fine, but I wouldn't take one apart just to do that.

Years ago I used my ATR800 with 5.25": quad drives, SSSD, SSDD, DSDD, & 1.2M(DSHD) The XF551 mech is just a DSDD

If my friend doesn't have something I can use, I do have a XF551 that is non-functional at this point, but I thing the mech is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK everyone. The last collection is posted, at least most of it. Go to the head post for the link. There are still 3-4 boxes left to sort, mostly software archives, book, manuals, binders and misc. hardware. I will add those pictures to the site shortly but wanted to get the main part of the collection posted. Enjoy!!

Edited by Guitarman

If my friend doesn't have something I can use, I do have a XF551 that is non-functional at this point, but I thing the mech is fine.

I've got an XF551 that I think has a bad mech. How much would you take for yours?

Hope you list those ATR8000 disks soon.

I am going to use this thread to catalog the 3 collections I recently acquired. Since there will be a lot of pictures, I am going to house the images on my AtariPort site and create links to each collection so you can check them out. As I refurbish (and repair as needed) the hardware, I will also use this thread to make available the extras I will not be keeping. There is a lot of hardware between the 3 collections. I will use this first posting to supply the links to the pictures as I add them and just post a message that this first post has been changed, when it does. Here we go....

Atari Reno Collection

Atari Long Beach Collection (aka Going To The Dump)

Atari Long Beach/Vacaville Collection (aka formyDad's Father's Collection)

very nice !!

if you have an Bookkeeper in more :D ....

Wow. That is an insane amount of Atari you got there. :-o You can't POSSIBLY be married... :D

I'll bet the most enjoyable part about getting that much stuff is the surprises, like the BBSB cart or the MIO or that data recorder. Things that are either really valuable or super rare. A Hyundai modem? a GE data recorder? Never heard of such things.

How many disk drives ya think you got, between what you already had and what you added here? At least 20 would be my guess. 5 Ranas? Man, how cool.

Have all sorts of fun with that stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Smeg

Hey Guitarman, you wouldn't happen to have any 600xl boards in all that stuff would you? I'd love to find an old motherboard from which to harvest chips in an effort to fix my dead 600xl. I know I can buy an entire 600xl for less than $30 from ebay but if I use that for a donor, I'll still have a dead 600xl sitting around to bug me.

So Guitarman....

What do you have planned for these collections? :D I'm sure you'll take what you need for your collection and you are entitled, but what about the rest? Are you going to post on ebay? Are you going to sell here? Take requests?

There's some mighty nice items that would round out my collection nicely. That is if you don't need/want them. Let us know. We all are dying of curiousity. :lust:

Later Dude!

Edited by Dropcheck

So Guitarman....

What do you have planned for these collections? :D I'm sure you'll take what you need for your collection and you are entitled, but what about the rest? Are you going to post on ebay? Are you going to sell here? Take requests?

There's some mighty nice items that would round out my collection nicely. That is if you don't need/want them. Let us know. We all are dying of curiousity. :lust:

Later Dude!

The plan is to keep items that I do not have yet for my collection. I have been getting PM's and posts in this thread (Dropzone ;) ) for various items if they don't make it into my collection so I have been making a list of requests and those will be honored first and probably at a price that is much less than going rate for something on ebay, since it benefits people in our Atari community and not an ebay reseller. The rest will be made available here at Atariage first. I will probably make a webpage of the remaining available items with a negotiable price, again priced for the Atari community and not profit. Anything left after a certain point I will probably bundle into groups and sell off as mini collections.

Like I said before, I was extremely lucky to be in the right place 3 times over (actually 4, there was a collection I got from someone in San Jose about 2 months before these with a lot of fine stuff that will also be made available. He used to be personal friends with Scott Peterson, famed Atari memory wizard, which netted me a 800 with a 288K upgrade hand built by Scott). My intention is to make sure as much of these collections as possible make it back into the Atari community so they will continue to have long lives. That's why it will be made available here before anywhere. If it were to go on ebay, the only people benefiting will be the person who turns and sells it for more money. This stuff needs to be place where it will be appreciated and used, not just a piece of electronics to make a buck. Geezzzzzz, I better stop!! I starting to sound like I'm running for President or something!!!

Hey Guitarman, you wouldn't happen to have any 600xl boards in all that stuff would you? I'd love to find an old motherboard from which to harvest chips in an effort to fix my dead 600xl. I know I can buy an entire 600xl for less than $30 from ebay but if I use that for a donor, I'll still have a dead 600xl sitting around to bug me.

I'll have to look. I do have a 600XL I have been using for parts but I think I have pulled all the socketed stuff off already.

The Longbeach collection, 400/800 processor card. It has the atari 6502C version of the processor, the one atari made with an added HALT signal.

Earlier versions had a 6502B that had extra chips to isolate the 6502 when ANTIC wanted the buss.

On the card pictured on the right hand side is extra space for crystal and components for the PAL version.

James

• 1 month later...
I'm surprised to see so much Atari stuff come out of Reno. Just recently I asked my co-worker up there to keep an eye out for old Atari 8-bit stuff.

I know!! It's been crazy. Only 1 of the collections was from Reno but picked up most from between here and SanFran. There was the one collection I had to drive to LA for.

To add to it all, I am picking up a small collection in Sacramento this weekend. I'll post what I get.

Bad thing.... I am moving into a new house at the beginning of the month. Guess what I have to move???? LOL

Edited by Guitarman

I'm surprised to see so much Atari stuff come out of Reno. Just recently I asked my co-worker up there to keep an eye out for old Atari 8-bit stuff.

I know!! It's been crazy. Only 1 of the collections was from Reno but picked up most from between here and SanFran. There was the one collection I had to drive to LA for.

To add to it all, I am picking up a small collection in Sacramento this weekend. I'll post what I get.

Bad thing.... I am moving into a new house at the beginning of the month. Guess what I have to move???? LOL

You need to sell some of it to us before you move <wink>