IGNORED

5200 Tempest Update

Dutchman2000

Another update:

Keithen found some time over the Labor Day weekend to get some more things done. The only things left to get done are the Pulsars, Enemy shots and Zooming. The new graphics by Michael Kosaka are a lot better then the ones in the existing prototype. The flippers are no longer as blocky and they flip a lot cleaner. Once Keithen sends me his latest build I will try and get some screenshots up.

It's getting closer!!

What? Not even a picture or two? C'mon!

Ron-

Keithen wants to fix a few vexing bugs before he sends me a playable version to evaluate. When that happens, I will post some new screenshots showing the new enemy graphics. I haven't even seen them yet, but I am really looking forward to it!!

• 3 weeks later...
Michael... Kosaka? Wasn't he a developer at Electronic Arts before they went all Darth Vader on us? That's pretty impressive that you were able to get him involved in this project!

Started at Epyx working on the Games series before moving to EA, a large part of Skate or Die and working on a bundle of other titles. I think he was at EA until the end of the 90s. Not sure what he's doing now... care to inform me? :)

Edited by Mayhem

• 2 weeks later...
That would so be awesome, especially because it is Tempest!

Thank you. Thank you very much...

Actually you probably could do that somehow. All you would need to do is get power to the LED's somehow. Isn't there a power line in the cartridge port?

Tempest

Actually you probably could do that somehow. All you would need to do is get power to the LED's somehow. Isn't there a power line in the cartridge port?

Tempest

It has been done with a 2600 cart before (Tronman)

Tempest

It has been done with a 2600 cart before (Tronman)

Yes, but someone would have to create molds for 5200 cartridge shells (which to my knowledge has never been done) and then produce a run of translucent carts. Would be very cool, but also crazy expensive, especially for the 5200 where you'd never recoup your investment in the molds. I sure would have liked to have new cartridge shells for Adventure II, as I spent a great deal of time removing labels, removing glue residue, disassembling the carts, and finally scrubbing the cart halves under running water (mainly to get rid of all the crap that gets stuck in the grooves along the sides). If I was to make a new 5200 shell, it would be a much simpler design!!

..Al