IGNORED

5200 Tempest Update

Dutchman2000

UPDATE:

Keithen has added the spinners and the spikes so things are progressing. He just needs a few more programming days before he can send me a playable version to test. I will try to post any screenshots that I can once that happens.

Fantastic. I think it really is going to happen!!!

Allan

The picture I saw had literally removed the stick from a 5200 controller and replaced it with a spinner. Not sure if I'll find it again... or maybe it was posted in response to my original Q. Have to go look...

Interesting. Most of those are quadrature encoders (like the 2600's driving controller) and they return a sequence like 00 01 11 10 as they're turned. This means they need 2 extra digital lines which the 5200 doesn't have. I guess you could tie them into the pot lines and do fast pot scanning and read them.

-Bry

Would it be possible to repurpose some of the keypad I/O lines to be used by a quadrature encoder? I know they're pulsed and polled and whatnot so they might not be able to be read fast enough. But, given that a quadrature encoder can be read by a 2600 without the POKEY chip, the 5200 might be able to read those lines fast enough to catch the state changes. I know that one of the fire buttons connects directly to the GTIA, but the other is read by the POKEY through the 4052 multiplexer.

If one were extremely desirous of supporting a true spinner and the POKEY couldn't read its I/O lines fast enough, you could maybe use the GTIA connected fire button inputs from two ports and have players alternate using one controller in a two player game (assuming a 2 port 5200).

All academic, since it's highly unlikely that anyone would write a game to support a non-existent controller or adapter.

Edited by BigO

That would so be awesome, especially because it is Tempest!

Thank you. Thank you very much...

Actually you probably could do that somehow. All you would need to do is get power to the LED's somehow. Isn't there a power line in the cartridge port?

Tempest

It has been done with a 2600 cart before (Tronman)

Yes, but someone would have to create molds for 5200 cartridge shells (which to my knowledge has never been done) and then produce a run of translucent carts. Would be very cool, but also crazy expensive, especially for the 5200 where you'd never recoup your investment in the molds. I sure would have liked to have new cartridge shells for Adventure II, as I spent a great deal of time removing labels, removing glue residue, disassembling the carts, and finally scrubbing the cart halves under running water (mainly to get rid of all the crap that gets stuck in the grooves along the sides). If I was to make a new 5200 shell, it would be a much simpler design!!

..Al

A simpler design would be cool. I'd model it after the 2600 shell...complete with a spot for the end label :)

i dunno. i think at least one version should be released with a standard atari 5200 cart case, like it would have had it made it to production...

I don't think there's any danger of new 5200 shells being produced, so no need to really worry about that. And I do agree that a 5200 Tempest should be released in genuine Atari shells. :)

..Al

I don't think there's any danger of new 5200 shells being produced, so no need to really worry about that. And I do agree that a 5200 Tempest should be released in genuine Atari shells. :)

..Al

I have a few commons that I can donate for the cause once it's ready to be produced...

Al, is there anything that would help you from a production standpoint before common carts are traded in? (i.e., would you prefer that labels are removed, carts scrubbed, etc.?)

..Al

I have a few commons that I can donate for the cause once it's ready to be produced...

Al, is there anything that would help you from a production standpoint before common carts are traded in? (i.e., would you prefer that labels are removed, carts scrubbed, etc.?)

The most time consuming aspect now of producing 5200 games is getting the carts ready. This involves:

1) Removing labels. Less than half of 5200 labels can be removed just via heat gun, as the glue on the others is just too damn strong. For the others, I have to let them soak in a fun chemical for a bit and then scrape them off with a plastic scraper. Using the chemical is not the preferred way of doing it, as it's more time consuming as the top half of the cart has to soak, then I can usually get most of the label off, then soak again, get the rest of the label off, then rinse the carts thoroughly, and then let them air dry.

2) Disassemble the carts, separating all the pieces (two cart shell halves, two plastic dust cover pieces, metal spring, screw, PCB).

3) Scrubbing the two cart shell halves under warm water. In particular the sides with the notches are scrubbed with a nylon scrub brush to get any dirt buildup out of them (those notches are dirt magnets!)

4) The carts must then dry before disassembly.

Overall it's a pain in the neck, so yes, receiving carts with the labels removed would be a big help. If you do remove labels from the carts, please do not scrape them off with anything that will dig into the label surface, as I am unable to use carts damaged in this way.

Thanks!

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI Al, as per our last conversation, I have 24 Atari 5200 carts (commons) I'll be happy to part with for the TEMPEST cause, that's a guarantee. I'm gonna try removing labels off of them for you. I've done it in the past, it is a pain, though I know I can do this without damageing the carts... Anyways, I'll keep ya posted!

I experienced the exact same !@#$ problems. WHAT A PAIN. Another question for Al - is it problematic to find enough 5200 shells, or are they still plentiful?

Not problematic, per se, but I have to be more vigilant about it than I do with 2600 shells (which are vastly more plentiful). This is complicated by the fact that 5200 labels are often notoriously difficult to remove.

I had guesssed that 5200 fans would have moved to RAM Carts/online distr. of ROMs by now.

This is great for playing the many prototypes and homebrews for which the ROMs have been released, but nothing beats having a purpose-built, physical cart of a game in your hand. As it was true for Adventure II, I'm sure people will also want a nice looking Tempest cart they can pop into their system and play. :)

..Al

Just an FYI Al, as per our last conversation, I have 24 Atari 5200 carts (commons) I'll be happy to part with for the TEMPEST cause, that's a guarantee. I'm gonna try removing labels off of them for you. I've done it in the past, it is a pain, though I know I can do this without damageing the carts... Anyways, I'll keep ya posted!

That's great, thanks! :)

..Al

• 1 month later...
So where does Tempest5200 stand at this point? Are we getting closer?

Current status is:

Pulsars, zooming and enemy shots need to be added. Then general code cleanup and debugging. Spinners and spikes were implemented and I will be posting screen shots of those soon. Keithen is making great progress in his spare time.