IGNORED

Quick

Pengwin

Not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience of using the Quick programming language?

I have recently started a project and I am amazed at the power of this, what appears to be simple, language.

Oh yes I did programming with QUICK.

But as I have to rewrite my game now completely into assembler, cause Quick ran out of memory, I surely won´t programme any bigger project with this cool language anymore.

I really don´t understand (now), why they sayed, that Quick was programmed as game coding base. IMHO there is not enough room for any greater game project :(

For smaller projects it´s surely one of the most powerful and modern languages for ATARI 8-Bits.

If you need some sources, I can take a look at my old ones... be aware: there aren´t much comments to understand, what I did!

The project I am working on, which I am keeping under wraps for now, is quite large, but that is mainly the data area, so I am using the memory otherwise used by the compiler for that.

One thing I am finding is that I get some odd effects with the .TEXT function, which displays text in graphics mode 8, sometimes. Did you find any problems with this?

Edited by Pengwin

The project I am working on, which I am keeping under wraps for now, is quite large, but that is mainly the data area, so I am using the memory otherwise used by the compiler for that.

One thing I am finding is that I get some odd effects with the .TEXT function, which displays text in graphics mode 8, sometimes. Did you find any problems with this?

Oops, I didn´t ever used this function.

But I remember a cool Fontplot routine given onto one Quickmag. I´ll search for it next days, and post the atr(s). It might be useful for you, although most (or all???) texts where written in German. But on the disks are some examples how to use the functions.

stay tuned...

I'm starting to see what you mean by "IMHO there is not enough room for any greater game project".

I have just had to relocate a lot of data to get it to fit in the available memory. I still think I will manage to get a substantial project complete, but it looks to be more work than I first envisioned.

Ok, it took a while, but I found time to search for the Quick magazines. The routine for texts in Gr.8 is on magazine 10 if I remember right.

The texts all are in German, but the routines should work with other languages too ;)

Wow! thanks. I shall enjoy looking over these, whilst improving my german ;)