IGNORED

Finally figured out why 'superdos 5.1' doesnt work on PC Atari Emu's

Going back to the day's when i actually had proper A8 kit/gear at hand, i remember then... in the first few sectors that superdos 5.1 loads, it is trying to determine what type of drive hardware you are using

i.e. Stock or modified 1050 or 810 or XF 551

if using a stock 1050/810 superdos 5.1 loads using the standard sio routine

if using a modded 1050/810 or XF 551, superdos loads in a custom high speed sio routine (similar to what spartados sometimes does if the disk was formatted and dos written using USD sector skew)

Now although Atari800win (and plus version) and Atari ++ does support 'certain' custom sio programming (i.e custom high speed sio)..in fact atari ++ purports to emulating certain features of happy and the 815...It would appear that Atari800win and Atari ++ doesn't like superdos 5.1, as it stops loading after the first few sectors, as superdos is trying to determine what type and kind of drive your'e using and Atari++ and A800win don't quite work like that

Perhaps someone has a hacked version of superdos 5.1 that does work on Atari++ or a800win (and + versions)...perhaps by moddy'g the custom high speed sio routine in superdos, so as to loading on these emulators

Going back to the day's when i actually had proper A8 kit/gear at hand, i remember then... in the first few sectors that superdos 5.1 loads, it is trying to determine what type of drive hardware you are using

if using a modded 1050/810 or XF 551, superdos loads in a custom high speed sio routine (similar to what spartados sometimes does if the disk was formatted and dos written using USD sector skew)

Now although Atari800win (and plus version) and Atari ++ does support 'certain' custom sio programming (i.e custom high speed sio)..in fact atari ++ purports to emulating certain features of happy and the 815...It would appear that Atari800win and Atari ++ doesn't like superdos 5.1, as it stops loading after the first few sectors, as superdos is trying to determine what type and kind of drive your'e using and Atari++ and A800win don't quite work like that

Perhaps someone has a hacked version of superdos 5.1 that does work on Atari++ or a800win (and + versions)...perhaps by moddy'g the custom high speed sio routine in superdos, so as to loading on these emulators

There's no love for SuperDos, but it does need some updates for XF551 running Hyper-XF SO SuperDos only see the XF551 as 1050 just with US doubler. :roll: Hard Drive support would be nice and support for XF551 with 5.25/3.5 drives upgrades.

• 2 months later...

There's no love for SuperDos, but it does need some updates for XF551 running Hyper-XF SO SuperDos only see the XF551 as 1050 just with US doubler. :roll: Hard Drive support would be nice and support for XF551 with 5.25/3.5 drives upgrades.

Superdos was originally written to be a dos 2 replacement and as such has a very close memory footprint to dos2 while keeping some hidden dos 2 vectors. While the writers where at it, they added Highspeed routines to support the local 1050 upgrade plus added extra stuff in the DUP.sys menu, thus 4.3 was born. when the XF551 came out, the writers added support for it and for USD drives as well. thus 5.1 while keeping it fully compatible with dos2.0. Adding support for Hdd will require moving away from the dos 2 spec with regards to the sector link structure (AKA mydos) SuperDos was written at a time before Hdd were available for the 8-bit (if any were, they were very costly to get to australia at the time) Superdos uses it's own SIO routine for all speeds ie doesn't enable pokey interrupts but monitors them closely.so if an emulator doesn't do a proper job, the dos won't work. Every High speed dos uses a very similar type of high speed routine so it is nothing new. best way around the high speed part is to find the sio routine which is near the start of dos and put a jump to the os sio instead.

james