IGNORED

(Obsolete) Do you plan to buy a Flashback 2 Portable?

FB2 Portable Interest Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to buy a Flashback 2 Portable?

• Definitely will buy one, maybe more
    • Definitely will buy one
    • Maybe will buy one
    • Don't know
    • May not buy one
    • Will definitely not buy one

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's a shame they didn't provide an SD card slot to augment the internal storage.

Yes, that's a bummer for me as well. Like I mentioned in the other thread, since the internal memory isn't going to be big enough for the whole library that's going to ruin a large part of portable spontaneous game choice for me. :(

Yeah, lots of RAM would be nice, but let's face it -- a massive list of hundreds of ROM files is pretty daunting. Sometimes less is more.

Yeah, lots of RAM would be nice, but let's face it -- a massive list of hundreds of ROM files is pretty daunting. Sometimes less is more.

You don't have to put every game made in there, just the ones you like. It would suck getting stuck with nothing but a small list of Atari only games or the same old Activision games (like on the GBA). We should be able to load in our favorites.

You don't have to put every game made in there, just the ones you like. It would suck getting stuck with nothing but a small list of Atari only games or the same old Activision games (like on the GBA). We should be able to load in our favorites.

According to everything that's been said so far, we will be able to do exactly that -- the question has been one of how many the device will hold at once.

According to everything that's been said so far, we will be able to do exactly that -- the question has been one of how many the device will hold at once.

That's good. I hope it will be able to hold all of my favorites which would be around 30 games. Being able to play something like E.T. or Lock 'N' Chase or Demon Attack in a waiting room or while sitting in the car is something I have been waiting to do for over 20 years.

I call shenanigans on any solution more complex than simply plugging the FB2p into my computer and using Explorer to drag 2600 binaries into a "Games" folder.

How's the file going to tell the FBP the type of bankswitching and weither or not there's extra RAM in the cartridge?

That's good. I hope it will be able to hold all of my favorites which would be around 30 games. Being able to play something like E.T. or Lock 'N' Chase or Demon Attack in a waiting room or while sitting in the car is something I have been waiting to do for over 20 years.

http://www.gp2x.com/ can do it now, but not with the same flair as the "real" hardware.

http://www.gp2x.com/ can do it now, but not with the same flair as the "real" hardware.

I haven't seen one of those:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Battery life varies depending on the type of activity being performed and can last anywhere from 10 minutes (using alkaline batteries) to over 6 hours (using high-capacity NiMH batteries).

Seems like the Flashback 2 Portable is going to be a better deal if you don't care about playing the emulated games from other systems.

Edited by Random Terrain

I call shenanigans on any solution more complex than simply plugging the FB2p into my computer and using Explorer to drag 2600 binaries into a "Games" folder.

How's the file going to tell the FBP the type of bankswitching and weither or not there's extra RAM in the cartridge?

Curt said there would be a resource file associated with each game.

Thats a good point. I'm sure thats why they are including the syncing software.

Thats a good point. I'm sure thats why they are including the syncing software.

Since I know how they want to support homebrewers as much as possible, I hope that whatever solution there will be to create resource files should be very straightforward and easy to do on any platform via some utility, or even by hand, but I would opt for a utility if it helped make the resource files take up less space.

I hope it will be able to hold all of my favorites which would be around 30 games.

I'm pretty sure 1 meg will easily hold 30 Atari ROMs ;)

Or BINs, or games, or whatever official term Atari will be using to refer to them.

There's no doubt that I'll be buying one or two of these then.

I'm pretty sure 1 meg will easily hold 30 Atari ROMs ;)

Or BINs, or games, or whatever official term Atari will be using to refer to them.

From my estimation, I think spacewise if the resource files just contain the cartridge type, maybe a category type, and a name, you could fit somewhere between 140-180 of the smallest games on it. However, that is not from Curt and have no idea if that is a real world guess.