IGNORED

Odd problem with Stelladaptor

manic23

Hi, im having an add problem with my Stelladaptor, im using Vista, with Stella 2.3.5 and a brand new Stelladaptor. When i use the paddles in any game, they do not work as they should, i do not get analogue control, instead what happens is that in Circus Atari for example, the man is either all the way to the right or the left i have no in-between control, the paddles simply do not work as expected.

This happens in ALL games that use the paddles. I should also point out that the device is recognised in Vista and appears to work correctly in the Game device control panel test application in Vista.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so what do i need to do?

Thank you in advance...

Edited by manic23

Well, since i posted this, i have removed Vista and re-installed XP and all is now fine, paddles behaving themselves, seems there we have yet another reason to hate Vista!!

hmm I thought these devices worked with any OS that supported USB? I guess I better ask now, does anyone know if these things work on Linux?

Well, since i posted this, i have removed Vista and re-installed XP and all is now fine, paddles behaving themselves, seems there we have yet another reason to hate Vista!!

hmm I thought these devices worked with any OS that supported USB? I guess I better ask now, does anyone know if these things work on Linux?

They do, but support is usually more dependent on individual emulators than the host operating system.

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

They do. I use one with Stella, z26, and xmame. Standard joysticks and paddles work great, and I can unplug the joystick and plug in paddles or vice versa while the Stelladaptor is plugged in (though I've never tried it while an emulator is actually running).

2 things that aren't supported by the Stelladaptor on any OS: The second button on a 7800 stick isn't seen as a separate input (both buttons act as the single 2600 fire button), and the keypad controller doesn't work (not surprising: reading the keypad requires setting some of the joystick port lines as outputs, which the Stelladaptor doesn't do).

I haven't yet tried it, but supposedly the driving controller does work with the Stelladaptor... at least with a 2600 emulator. No idea whether mame/xmame can use it as a knob controller though.

To the guy having Vista problems: it sounds like the OS thinks the Stelladaptor is strictly a digital controller. Look for a checkbox to tell it to treat it as analog, possibly under "Advanced"... can't be more specific, I've never used Vista, but I bet it can be fixed.

Hi, im having an add problem with my Stelladaptor, im using Vista, with Stella 2.3.5 and a brand new Stelladaptor. When i use the paddles in any game, they do not work as they should, i do not get analogue control, instead what happens is that in Circus Atari for example, the man is either all the way to the right or the left i have no in-between control, the paddles simply do not work as expected.

This happens in ALL games that use the paddles. I should also point out that the device is recognised in Vista and appears to work correctly in the Game device control panel test application in Vista.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so what do i need to do?

Thank you in advance...

OK, I'm looking into this right now. There are two things that Stella does when accessing a Stelladaptor:

1) It checks for a game controller with 'Stelladaptor' in the device name. If it finds it, it treats the controller as an actual Stelladaptor. For me, at least, this part is working fine. The name detected by Windows can be viewed in 'Control Panel -> Game Controllers'. I assume there's a similar program in OSX.

2) If a game's property is set to 'Paddles' in Stella, it will read analog values from the Stelladaptor. If it's set to 'Joystick, it will read digital values. This part seems to be what's causing problems. I'll research this immediately and report what I find.

EDITED

OK, I looked into this, and it seems to be a calibration issue. Make sure to run the calibration option in 'Control Panel -> Game Controllers' for the Stelladaptor device. Also, when calibrating, you should use a joystick, not the paddles. Once that's done, the calibration will be set up correctly for paddles as well.

Edited by stephena