IGNORED

7800 Space Duel

PacManPlus

I gotta ask this, how many kinds of rocks are there in the game?

There are seven:

Spinnerspost-1787-1185712626_thumb.png

Octahedronpost-1787-1185712637_thumb.png

Cubepost-1787-1185712644_thumb.png

Pentagonpost-1787-1185712659_thumb.png

Bookpost-1787-1185712665_thumb.png

8 Pointed Starpost-1787-1185712669_thumb.png

Hexagonpost-1787-1185712675_thumb.png

@wgungfu: Cool :) Maybe if it's ok while I'm working on this, if I have questions about the timing of certain things, may I ask you?

Bob

Thanks. I've noticed in the arcade game every rock has four colors but they all don't use the same colors. The spinners use blue, red, green, and turquoise. The octahedrons use red, green, yellow, and blue. I do it's impossible to have more than three visible colors on a sprite.

Some actually use white as well.

Some of the shapes in the arcade (like the book) are set at their colors; (i.e. the book is only red with a yellow binder). Those I will be fixing as I go on.

You are correct; I am limited to three colors, and four pallettes. I will do my best to optimize them :)

Edited by PacManPlus

Okay it looks like my last post got lost.

Anyway, I said that there's ways giving the objects the appearance of more than three colors. One is using programming tricks. Look at the latest build of b*nk, there are objects that appear to more than three colors.

Another way is knowing a little color theory. For example, using green and red pixels together in a some sort of pattern might give an appearance of yellow color.

The only problem is that I'm *very* limited in the number of pixels I can use; It was hard enough getting the object to even remotely look like their arcade counterparts using (with the largest objects) 10x16 pixels. :( I actually have already tried mixing two colors to get a third - it looked terrible. :(

I will do the best I can with the palettes and colors I have. :)

So far, So good.

The little yellow/green circle in the lower left is one of the UFOs. I will be changing the color to red or green like the arcade, but the little turret that moves will have to be a different color; it looks to much like a glob if I try to do it in the same color. :(

post-1787-1185972140_thumb.png

Title Screen:

post-1787-1185978983_thumb.png

Edited by PacManPlus

Okay it looks like my last post got lost.

Anyway, I said that there's ways giving the objects the appearance of more than three colors. One is using programming tricks. Look at the latest build of b*nk, there are objects that appear to more than three colors.

Another way is knowing a little color theory. For example, using green and red pixels together in a some sort of pattern might give an appearance of yellow color.

That is because I put (hacked) in the capabilities for some of my "sprites" to use the 12 color mode and specify the width. I am a little bit worried about the possibility of overrunning what Maria can display but in play testing I haven't seemed to have done that yet. Worst case would be b*nQ, Coily, and a bunch of ughs or wrongways on one scanline (balls are not as likely to have several on a line).

--Ken

Thanks guys

Here is a WIP of what I have so far. There are too many things to list that need to be completed, but I just wanted to give to guys what I have so far mostly to see the rocks in action.

Your best bet is to try the game in the 'Advanced' mode.

My girlfriend just went into the hospital again, so progress on this game will again be slow.

SPACDUEL.ZIP

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks guys! (and I have'nt even added the bonus levels yet!)

It's fun to alter the trajectories of the rocks and UFO(!) by bouncing into them with the shield on (BTW, I am happy I was able to get the 'fading out' effect with the shield, because I was able to use different colors/hues this time).

One thing I have to figure out is to not allow a 'zero' velocity for the rocks / UFO. You can actually stop a rock / UFO from moving by bouncing into them at the right angle / velocity... which can lead to a couple of bad situations where you can't finish the game.

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks guys

Here is a WIP of what I have so far. There are too many things to list that need to be completed, but I just wanted to give to guys what I have so far mostly to see the rocks in action.

Your best bet is to try the game in the 'Advanced' mode.

My girlfriend just went into the hospital again, so progress on this game will again be slow.

Hi Bob

Do not worry,we can wait.Hope your girlfriend :( will feel better soon :) .

greetings Walter

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

She is looking better today.

They are thinking about changing the 'port' used for her dialysis, because that is the reason for her infections. (Her fever was 104 when we brought her to the hospital on Tuesday and Wednesday).

I wanted to post this before I went back to the hospital.

Late at night, Ive been working on this program to keep my mind off of things.

Here is what I have so far:

1) Implemented the 'mines', and figured out a way to change their color individually as they are shot. I will be refining their shape some more.

2) Changed the ship and UFO explosions to be moving, like the arcade version does.

3) Changed the sounds to match the arcade more.

What I have left:

1) Implement bonus screens, along with text, Stars, and Fuzzballs.

2) Implement dual UFOs, including the part where they toss shots between each other. :|

3) Implement tethered (connected) ship gameplay (Replacing Cooperative Mode). This one is going to be a nightmare so I'm leaving it for last. There will not be a single player tethered ship option. Did anyone actually play that version and like it?

As you can see the 'What I have left' section is in increasingly difficult order.

In the meantime, I have a question about scoring. In the Space Duel Arcade manual, is says the 'rocks' are the normal 20, 50 and 100 points, but when actually playing the game in MAME, I get weird point values - 110, 230, etc. Does anyone know how the point system works?

Thanks,

Bob

SPACDUEL.ZIP

3) Implement tethered (connected) ship gameplay (Replacing Cooperative Mode). This one is going to be a nightmare so I'm leaving it for last. There will not be a single player tethered ship option. Did anyone actually play that version and like it?

I rather liked that option, it made single player games easier since you had two ships for double the firepower.