IGNORED

7800 Space Duel

PacManPlus

Thanks, guys :)

Although I may have some bad news; I don't think I'm going to be able to pull off the tethered ships. I've been trying to apply it to this version for a week now, and I guess I'm just not at the point where I can do something like this. :( There are a lot of little 'nuances' that go with this - even the advancement of the point values are different when you are using tethered ships.

Bob

Well, I can talk you through some of the tethered ship mechanics if you want. Its going to involve having pre-calculated angles and sin/cos values. PM me if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone:

After looking at the code and play-testing the last few versions on the 'real thing', I have come to the decision that I cannot add the tethered ships to Space Duel.

The major reason being that in the later rounds where the screen is full, there is *so* much computing going on that there are some pretty noticable slow-downs until some of the rocks disappear. If I were to add the table look-ups and computations that the tethered ships would require, it would make the game much worse than it is now.

I do apologize to everyone, and I believe I pretty much have everything else from the game in there (aside from the box outline of the bonus levels; but, you do still bounce off the edges).

I did add the following elements:

1) UFOs cannot be made to have a zero 'X' velocity (by bouncing into them). They will regain their momentum (like the arcade does).

2) When there are less rocks on the screen than the level number, a 'Star' will be thrown onthe screen (if shot, it will be replaced, like the arcade).

3) I slowed down the rocks - they are slower in Space Duel than they are in Asteroids / Deluxe.

Again, I apologize, and I will be posting the Final Release Candidate tonight.

Bob

...I do apologize to everyone, and I believe I pretty much have everything else from the game in there (aside from the box outline of the bonus levels; but, you do still bounce off the edges)...Again, I apologize, and I will be posting the Final Release Candidate tonight.

Bob

Bob, you crack me up. Apologize? And you state it twice. PLEASE...the only courtesy that needs to be extended here is a *HUGE* *THANK YOU* for all your hard work on this and all your other "hacks" (Still doesn't sound right describing them as such). Your generosity and talent is amazing. And thank you again for sharing all your hard work with the community.

As always, you know you have my purchase for this and any other titles you release. As I said in previous post, you're really a class act and extremely professional...

...Now don't make me read one more "apology" message from ya, or else! ;)

-Trebor

Trebor - you are too funny :) Thanks.

As promised, here is the release candidate with the added above three enhancements.

*NOTE* - I was already alerted of an issue where the player was left with no rocks on the screen but didn't advance to the next level (probably because of something with the added 'star'). - Attachment removed temporarily.

Edited by PacManPlus

...I do apologize to everyone, and I believe I pretty much have everything else from the game in there (aside from the box outline of the bonus levels; but, you do still bounce off the edges)...Again, I apologize, and I will be posting the Final Release Candidate tonight.

Bob

Bob, you crack me up. Apologize? And you state it twice. PLEASE...the only courtesy that needs to be extended here is a *HUGE* *THANK YOU* for all your hard work on this and all your other "hacks" (Still doesn't sound right describing them as such). Your generosity and talent is amazing. And thank you again for sharing all your hard work with the community.

As always, you know you have my purchase for this and any other titles you release. As I said in previous post, you're really a class act and extremely professional...

...Now don't make me read one more "apology" message from ya, or else! ;)

-Trebor

I was going to give him an extra 10% from the payment I've already sent but forget it now. ;)

Hi - Here is the Release Candidate. It looks like I fixed the afore mentioned bug.

Oh- and please be aware that when there are *many* rocks on the screen there is a noticable slowdown on the real hardware; although it is still very playable (IMHO).

Let me know what you think! :)

Bob

SPACDUEL.ZIP

Thanks guys! :)

The reason why I was apologizing is becuase I know a few people were looking forward to the tethered ship option (I know Bakasama was, for example), and I hate letting people down.

Walter - I actually tried to make a PAL version of this game by doing the same thing I did to Pac-Man Collection, but this game crashed. :(

Bob

Thanks guys! :)

The reason why I was apologizing is becuase I know a few people were looking forward to the tethered ship option (I know Bakasama was, for example), and I hate letting people down.

Walter - I actually tried to make a PAL version of this game by doing the same thing I did to Pac-Man Collection, but this game crashed. :(

Bob

Hi Bob

no problem.I also own an NTSC system.

greetings Walter

Possible PAL version,

Walter (gambler172) already told me of some garbage at the bottom of the screen in Space Duel, although that will be difficult to fix as I don't get that on my ProSystem elumator here in PAL mode. :(

I think the games play slightly slower in PAL... let me know what you find please :)

Thanks!

Bob

SPACDUEL.ZIP

Edited by PacManPlus

Yep the garbage is still there... in fact during the game I'd actually say there was LESS garbage running the NTSC version on the PAL system than there was running the PAL version! It's hard to see in the pics below on the title screen, so I drew a little line to represent where the garbage started...

post-986-1192056752_thumb.jpg

post-986-1192056759_thumb.jpg

Hi:

Thanks everyone for testing this.

I believe I have found the issue (I hope) - although I was leaving space for the extra lines, they weren't being copied to RAM :(

Let me know if this one is ok on the real thing - thanks again! :)

Bob

SPACDUEL.ZIP

Edited by PacManPlus