IGNORED

Jaguar vs. CD32?

Captain Spyro

Are there any diferences between CD32 Zool 2 and the Jagaur version?. Im thinking about getting the Jag game, but if its the same, ill pass.

I don't have the CD32 version, but I'm pretty sure it has some FMV and CD audio tracks that aren't in the Jaguar version. Being on CD, there are probably some load times in there too. I don't see any reason the gameplay would be any different though.

--Zero

Are there any diferences between CD32 Zool 2 and the Jagaur version?. Im thinking about getting the Jag game, but if its the same, ill pass.

I don't have the CD32 version, but I'm pretty sure it has some FMV and CD audio tracks that aren't in the Jaguar version. Being on CD, there are probably some load times in there too. I don't see any reason the gameplay would be any different though.

--Zero

Im sure it was just a port like most of the games seemed to be, unfortunately.

Judging from screenshots, it seems like the Jag game has some prerendered objects on some levels, like a sphynx head and some soda cans, that i havent seen on the CD32. I think will still get the Jag game just because its on Jaguar, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, i am trying to go from the PAL output of the Amiga to

an NTSC monitor?

I have asked around on some CD32 forums, they have told me to get a Pal Commodore monitor, wich are very expensive to ship from Europe to Mexico, or to buy a Pal to NTSC converter, i bought 2 converters and they were crap.

Is your CD32 a NTSC system or a PAL system?

Do you know about using an Amiga Mouse into port 2 to bring up the hidden boot menu that allows you pick NTSC or PAL?

Well, i am trying to go from the PAL output of the Amiga to

an NTSC monitor?

I have asked around on some CD32 forums, they have told me to get a Pal Commodore monitor, wich are very expensive to ship from Europe to Mexico, or to buy a Pal to NTSC converter, i bought 2 converters and they were crap.

Is your CD32 a NTSC system or a PAL system?

Do you know about using an Amiga Mouse into port 2 to bring up the hidden boot menu that allows you pick NTSC or PAL?

Now that sounds like the best solution yet. Good to know someone knows these things. :)

Is there other items of interest on that menu?

Now that sounds like the best solution yet. Good to know someone knows these things. :)

Yeah, but they're only interesting for an Amiga, not the CD32 - from the wiki entry

Like all later Amiga computers, the CD32 has a hidden boot menu that can be accessed by plugging an Amiga mouse into port 2 and holding both buttons down while turning the system on. Most of the options in this menu aren't useful on a CD32, but from this menu you can choose to boot in either NTSC or PAL mode. This is important, as there are some games that will refuse to work if the system is in the wrong mode, also since most games don't advertise what video mode they were developed for. It should also be pointed out that despite the naming, the menu really only allows a choice of 60Hz or 50Hz video output; a PAL system booted in NTSC mode will still output a video signal using PAL color encoding, which will usually result in a black and white picture when connected to an NTSC television.

Thanks for the advice SpiceWare, i already knew about the hidden menu, but according to some CD32 forums, most Pal games dont work if you turn the console to NTSC mode, and the NTSC games library is really small. Still, have to get an Amiga mouse to try it myself.

Thanks for the advice SpiceWare, i already knew about the hidden menu, but according to some CD32 forums, most Pal games dont work if you turn the console to NTSC mode, and the NTSC games library is really small. Still, have to get an Amiga mouse to try it myself. By the way, my console is PAL.

Yeah, but they're only interesting for an Amiga, not the CD32 - from the wiki entry

Nice to see that the stuff I post on Wikipedia actually does get read from time to time ;)

The menu also allows you to change boot device (though the list is empty, not even the built-in CD-ROM shows up in it), disable CPU caches, choose between ECS and AGA (not sure what effect this might have, it would likely just cause some games to crash), and view installed expansion boards (another empty list). This stuff might be useful if you have an SX-1 or SX32 installed, but even then it's not stuff you'd need to use very often. Even on my Amiga 3000, I don't think I've ever used this boot menu except out of curiosity.

Sadly, the bootmenu only helps so much. As others have said, some games won't work correctly (or at all) if you switch modes on them, and a few others will override the scan rate back to PAL/50 on their own anyway.

Actually, in my experience, a lot of games will work properly in NTSC. With many games, you'll just lose an inch or so of the bottom of the screen (Fire & Ice and Beneath a Steel Sky are still fully playable). There are a few game that will also show graphical glitches when you try to play them in NTSC (Super Skidmarks and Disposable Hero both do this, making them somewhat unplayable).

There are a few games which will just mysteriously crash without any indication of why (Alfred Chicken, for example, will crash just before the level starts), but from what I've seen in my collection, they're a minority.

My eyes are pretty bad, so I have a tough time telling whether I'm looking at a PAL screen or an NTSC screen, but I sure that Seek & Destroy automatically set the screen to 50Hz even though I was in NTSC mode. There are probably some other games that do this that I haven't noticed yet.

--Zero

Nice to see that the stuff I post on Wikipedia actually does get read from time to time ;)

It's even nicer to know that someone with a clue actually does post stuff on Wiki from time to time. :D

I've really been tempted to go and edit the Jaguar lies myself.

Edited by Gorf

• 15 years later...
On 8/6/2007 at 12:20 AM, sd32 said:

This is a far more interesting question than you would think. Zool 2 on the CD32 has some bargain bucket music made on some cheap FM synths BUT the floppy disk version has some far superior MOD tunes. On the Jaguar you get the superior tunes.

One the Jaguar you get sfx and the superior MOD music of the Amiga disk version so it's the best of both worlds. Unlike Cannon Fodder recruitment screen where the music has different and inferior Windows 95 .midi type instruments and half the tune is missing, Zool 2 on Jaguar is the exact same tunes as on the Amiga MOD tunes thankfully.

This is not an isolated incident on CD32 vs Amiga 1200 game, Super Stardust has some 99pence/99cents store CD type dance music on the CD32/PC-CD release but on the PC/Amiga floppy disk version again you get far superior tunes (unless you have no taste in synthesizers and have a hobby collecting wedding band demo CDs). 

CD32 is the worst console of all time, at least with the CDTV you could load up Shadow of the Beast 1, Lionheart, Sword of Sodan, Turrican III and many other 16bit console quality games from disk, the CD32 is stuck with the naff bargain bucket developments on CD-ROM only. It also has a 50% crippled 7mhz 020 due to some idiot not realising the AGA chipset was never designed to be used with zero Fast RAM (CPU exclusive RAM) ooops.

• Like 1