IGNORED

Version control Software

Heaven/TQA

i am not familiar with professional revision controlling software and tried stuff like csv etc but maybe now i found an intersting one which is quite simple and does not need any additional knowledge... maybe usefull for someone as i am using it now for Beyond Evil with more than 6000 lines of assembler code...

http://www.componentsoftware.com/

Thanks, I've come to the conclusion that one of the big reasons I use version control software on a single person home project (Perforce in my case - also free for one or two users) is that it gives another level of undo. I also enjoy looking over my progress in version control and it gives you great context to pick up a project when you haven't worked on it in a couple of weeks, months or years.

I took a brief look at CS-RCS Pro from your link and it seems to have a number of good features. How did you hear about that product? Are there any reviews?

i have searched the net... all pro guys talked about CSV and the winports and similar but they go over the edge what imho a homebrewer needs. i spend hours to get CSV and WinCSV running (you have to do a server bla bla bla) but it doesnt worked...i just wanted to have a kind of system or tool which simply keeps track of my source code changes as you have pointed out...when working only part time on a project or over the years you have to use such things as you really get messed up sometime... even a small change here and boom...blow up...but you havent got the time to fix it right now (as real life got you... ;)) and one week later you can not remember exactly what would changed...

and the simple "save as new version" does not work either... so i searched the net and luckily i found that tool... was simple google search...

we always talk about editors, crossassemblers and emulators but i guess such a tool should be in your toolset as well... esp. for beginners...

I find it simpler to just have a system where the build script or makefile knows your version number and automatically makes a zip archive of all your source with the version number in the file name. So all I have to do is "make zip", then I can scp the result to three computers I have in another room. For a couple of projects (like my multi-CPU assembler) I have a "make it" which also does a "make test" to make sure that I didn't break anything obvious.

After all, version control systems don't keep track of every little edit you make, just the ones you tell them to sync back to the database. It's when you have more than one person working on the code that they become important.

Amongst other features of Perforce that I use regularly is it's capacity as a server. This means I can work at home, or work on the road with my laptop.

I submit changes when I'm happy that a micro feature is working. Especially when working on a 2600 project, it is so handy to be able to go back and compare to last 'working' version and check what I did that broke the game ;) Many times, I will just revert my changes and start working forward, instead of painstakingly trying to spot the problem. I've become accustomed to submitting very frequently as it is integrated into my editor. I also have the habit of commenting every change that I submit, and this gives me a nice history of my work in the database.

My knowledge and expertise with Perforce comes because of the fact that all the game companies I've worked for or with use it. Otherwise, I may not have had the impetus to try it. But having used I can say that I would never go back to just using zip archives.

If you want to do version control with CVS on Windows, you need to use TortoiseCVS. It's insanely easy to use, and setting up your own personal "server" on your local machine is very straightforward.

Personally, I'm partial to Subversion, which is CVS's heir apparent. It's got a lot of small advantages over CVS, like the ability to delete directories and do atomic commits. The only real advantage that CVS has over Subversion is that CVS stores the repository information as plain-text files, so you can search your CVS history using regular file search tools. Again, Windows users should look at TortoiseSVN to get started.

I'm not really sure how I got along before version control software. The only downside of using VCS is that there's so many of them with different strengths and weaknesses, which can make it hard to choose the right one. Just off the top of my head, I know of RCS, CVS, Subversion, Perforce, Mercurial, Visual Source Safe, Darcs, Arch, and git. And I'm sure there's plenty more.

Amongst other features of Perforce that I use regularly is it's capacity as a server. This means I can work at home, or work on the road with my laptop.

I submit changes when I'm happy that a micro feature is working. Especially when working on a 2600 project, it is so handy to be able to go back and compare to last 'working' version and check what I did that broke the game ;) Many times, I will just revert my changes and start working forward, instead of painstakingly trying to spot the problem. I've become accustomed to submitting very frequently as it is integrated into my editor. I also have the habit of commenting every change that I submit, and this gives me a nice history of my work in the database.

My knowledge and expertise with Perforce comes because of the fact that all the game companies I've worked for or with use it. Otherwise, I may not have had the impetus to try it. But having used I can say that I would never go back to just using zip archives.

Ditto for everything djmips says here.. Perforce is the dogs danglies when it comes to source control, and with it being free for 2 users it's quite simply a bargain..

• 8 months later...
I'm not really sure how I got along before version control software.

I use Subversion for all my projects. Things reached a breaking point when I spent a couple hours trying to figure out which directory (named project/, project-old/, project-new/, project-real/, project-latest-and-greatest/ etc) on which of my two PCs had the latest source code. Installed SVN on my Linux webserver, checked in all my projects, and never looked back. Besides simple organization and versioning, it's a great system for synchronizing my work using either home PC or my work laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Subversion for several years on many projects, and have been quite happy. However, recently I have been playing with the (rather unfortunately named) source control program called git. This works fantastically well if you are running a Linux box, but I don't think there is a very functional port for windows, yet. Git is the source control program written by Linus used by the Linux kernel crew. It has the advantage of retaining your history on your local machine, even when you are not connected to your main server.

I have been using git recently, along with git-svn which allows me to synchronize with a subversion server (so I can still work with my less enlightened colleagues).

Linus talks about the advantages of git at a talk at google, which can be viewed on youtube at:

The git homepage can be found here: http://git.or.cz/