IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 9 *River Raid*

Atari5200

Probably my favorite retro game of all time and my favorite as a kid. River Raid is probably one of the most liked games there is on any system.

So lets get them systems fired up and hit the river. Emu ok, any controller fine, default difficulty are the rules and the compo will end on 8-11-2007 and I will try to keep up a little better with this round than round 9.

Leader Board: Final Update

Cafeman: 97410

jetset:58170

eegt97: 50250

Brian R.: 37670

Noahsmybro: 29640

Mike5200: 24480

doctorclu:24430

eegt97: 18240

Edited by Atari5200

Meh. Last 3 times I played, there wasn't much going on. I was gonna wait this time to see if anyone else is participating.

I plan on firing it up. My problem with River Raid is if I really concentrate, the game will go on forever. At least, that's how it was with the 2600 version, which I have played far more often than the 5200 version.

My half hearted first attempt is 18320 on the Atari800 for the Dreamcast (5200 version of the game!)

I plan to try again later!

Wait... you're playing 5200 River Raid using an 800 emulator on a Dreamcast??? That can't possibly count! :)

I think 5200 emulation on the PC is sketchy enough, but this has got to snap the rules completely! :)

My half hearted first attempt is 18320 on the Atari800 for the Dreamcast (5200 version of the game!)

Wait... you're playing 5200 River Raid using an 800 emulator on a Dreamcast??? That can't possibly count! :)

I think 5200 emulation on the PC is sketchy enough, but this has got to snap the rules completely! :)

Not at all. To matter the fact this should actually be applauded since people play this on the "PC" and Mac all the time, and those are much more powerful machines with a wider variety of controllers than the Dreamcast could ever hope for. :) I just simply used a ported version of "Atari800" (running the 5200 OS rom and playing the 5200 game images) that is the brother to the same (but more developed) "Atari800" emulator that exists on the Mac and "PC".

Our moderator defined this a few weeks ago by saying "the game must either be played on an actual 5200 or 5200 emu. Any controller is fine."

I appreciate being able to emulate since it allows me to get familiar with the games during this contest, and maybe help me know which games to pick up in the future. :)

Well, here's 22,400 ...

post-4709-1186454107_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Not at all. To matter the fact this should actually be applauded since people play this on the "PC" and Mac all the time, and those are much more powerful machines with a wider variety of controllers than the Dreamcast could ever hope for. :) I just simply used a ported version of Atari800 that is the brother to the same (but more developed) program that exists on the Mac and "PC".

Our moderator defined this a few weeks ago by saying "the game must either be played on an actual 5200 or 5200 emu. Any controller is fine."

I appreciate being able to emulate since it allows me to get familiar with the games during this contest, and maybe help me know which games to pick up in the future. :)

Well, I think 22,400 will probably be my last score for this contest.

If I could figure out how to do an Atari emulator on my Dreamcast, I probably would too. I get the feeling River Raid would be easier to play with a DC pad than even my Wico.

... despite having a 2600 and 7800 emulator working on my PC, I can't figure out how to get a 5200 one working on my PC, so I doubt I could do it for the DC, unless it's click and burn easy.

River Raid is one of those Activision games that's best played on the 2600.

Edited by Brian R.

If I could figure out how to do an Atari emulator on my Dreamcast, I probably would too. I get the feeling River Raid would be easier to play with a DC pad than even my Wico.

After five unsuccessful CD-R's of getting together a 5200 collection, roms, and other things, I would be happy to instruct how to assemble the 40 meg disc image that could be built with free software and Disc Juggler (also free). :) If it gets more Dreamcast players in here enjoying Atari games, I'd be glad to help. :)

After five unsuccessful CD-R's of getting together a 5200 collection, roms, and other things, I would be happy to instruct how to assemble the 40 meg disc image that could be built with free software and Disc Juggler (also free). :) If it gets more Dreamcast players in here enjoying Atari games, I'd be glad to help. :)

Could you drop a disc in the mail? Otherwise it might take a while... or a long while.

As I edited my post, I can't even get a 5200 emulator working on my PC.

Could you drop a disc in the mail? Otherwise it might take a while... or a long while.

As I edited my post, I can't even get a 5200 emulator working on my PC.

PM sent to walk walk you through it. In the meantime, would love to see other scores on this. :)

26,060, Bridge 16

Can provide cell phone pic if proof is required.

I can do better. ;)

And I did... next try: 32,330, bridge 20. :)

I'd love to reach 40K. That's the "River Raider" patch threshold.

Edited by Brian R.

Before I got my Atarimax flash cart I used my DC for 5200 emulation all the time. It works really well emulating the 8bit line of Atari consoles. It does a really nice job with the NES and Colecovision as well.

I need to post a HS for this week...I'll try and get to that tonight.

Bridge 20

that's rediculous! nice score... im workin on it... at 20k + change....

gotta switch to the wico.. forgot how much the stocks hurt.

I'd like to reach 40K. Not sure if I'll be able. Probably could on the 2600. Once you get to the high teens in the bridges, you start getting some narrow passageways that can be tricky to maneuver on the 5200 game.