IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 9 *River Raid*

Atari5200

Hey! I call shenannigans! 5200 programmers shouldn't be allowed in the contest...he proablly hacked the rom and gave himself 20 lives. :P

Damn man that's hardcore. I had scored 66,820 and was squirreling that just in case. :D 89,000 though, that's one awesome score!

Time to fire River Raid up again.

You're going down. :x

River Raid has always been one of my favorite Atari-era games.

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/riverraid.html

At first I only scored 38,000 using the stock 5200 controllers, so I switched to Genesis 6-pad with my Masterplay Interface. I think the stock 5200 controllers work well usually though, but mine all lean to the right a bit (not calibrated 100% in center), making it too hard to recenter during the narrow parts. I started at bridge one and played thru to bridge 38.

Right after bridge 30, there are a few places with only like 1 fuel (or none?) in the whole section! I was feeling quite nostalgic when I destroyed my precious lone fuel tank a couple times as the low-fuel siren was going off.

I'm leaving the ole 5200 hooked up in case *somebody* posts a higher score.

Believe it or not, until today I'd never played River Raid on the 5200. When it was current I played it once or twice on the VCS, and thought it was a little boring. I think I was turned off by the inability to fly over the land and hit the land-based enemies.

This afternoon I figured I'd finally give the HSC a shot (I don't think I've entered any of these previously), so I just hooked up the 5200 and played some River Raid for about 30 minutes.

The game's more fun than I remember it being, and I thought the collision detection was surprisingly perfect! I love it when I can slide a missile exactly one pixel to the side of something on the screen. (imilar to letting a shot go through my neck on Berzerk.)

My fire-button-thumb's joint where the thumb meets the hand is very sore now, but it was worthwhile. I can't touch Cafeman 's score, but he probably just spent a few minutes this morning reprogramming the game so he could add an invincibility code or something! ;)

My best score was 25,900, Bridge 14.

(EDIT: NOW: 29,640 Bridge 16)

Edited by NoahsMyBro