IGNORED

Hey, Vectrex fans, speak up!

godslabrat

41 members have voted

1. 1. If you could buy a newly-made Vectrex system, of a build quality as good or better than the Yobo NES clones, and it would retain all the functionality of the original, plus add more, how much would you pay?

• Nada. ROMs are enough for me.
    • $50 max.
    • More than $50, but I'd never pay more than $125.
    • $125 is doable, but I'm maxed out at $200.
    • $200 - $300 is fine, if it does everything you say it will.
    • $300 or more! Screw the PS3!!!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I might be willing to pay quite a lot... IF it was more than just a standard Vectrex. Specifically, if it could play arcade-perfect versions of other classic vector game like Asteroids, Battlezone, Tempest, etc.

Seems unlikely that such a product could be brought to market, as no one is making vector monitors anymore.

There is this interesting product, however, that allows you to use a Vectrex monitor and a computer to play the arcade classics...

Zektor Vector Generator

Am I right in remembering that a B&W raster monitor can be hacked into a B&W vector monitor? If so, and somebody out there is still making 9" B&W CRT's, it just might be feasible.

It should be possible to find surplus B&W monitors somehow.

ZVG is kind of a joke because it's DOS-based. I refuse to use DOS in 2007, even for a dedicated PC.

Am I right in remembering that a B&W raster monitor can be hacked into a B&W vector monitor? If so, and somebody out there is still making 9" B&W CRT's, it just might be feasible.

Disclaimer: IANAHardwareEngineer

Look at this: http://www.jrok.com/xfer/xystuff/

Any new version of the Vectrex needs a much faster CPU. The one it has was inadequate, even back then.

ZVG is kind of a joke because it's DOS-based. I refuse to use DOS in 2007, even for a dedicated PC.

You certainly wouldn't want a Windows-based OS running on a Vector monitor, would you? Besides the fact that there's no way a vector monitor could show the GUI, all the extra bloat of a newer OS would really be utterly unnecessary for a PC whose only purpose is to run Vector games. To me, DOS seems like it would be an acceptable choice. But to each his own...

It's tempting to put together a mini ZVG-powered arcade box to just run Asteroids and similar games on a Vectrex monitor. But it wouldn't be cheap:

200 - ZVG

200 - cheap PC

100 - Vectrex

100 - cabinet and controls

The cost would be much higher yet if you wanted to use a higher quality vector monitor! If you really love that authentic vector look that much, you may as well just get a real authentic vector machine - so long as your favorite vector game is reasonably common. ZVG would be a good solution for those who really want an authentic vector look for some of the rarer games, like Quantum and Zektor.

Disclaimer: IANAHardwareEngineer

Look at this: http://www.jrok.com/xfer/xystuff/

Now that is cool.