IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 10 *Bounty Bob Strikes Back*

Atari5200

I suppose the majority of us will have to fire up our emulators for this one as we compete at one of the rarest games for the 5200.

Rules are as follows. default difficulty, any controller is fine, emulation is fine(obviously). no cheat codes, i think i remember someone saying there was a code or something to skip levels and therefore gain higher score right off the bat. Anyways have fun.

Competition will end 8-25-2007

Final update:

lintwarp: 70870

eegt97: 34740

doctorclu: 31560

JetSet: 25530

ymike673: 16650

BydoEmpire:11390

Edited by Atari5200

I won't be in this one. Don't have the cart, and I can't get a 5200 emulator working - I've tried several, with no luck. I got emus for the 2600 and 7800, but can't figure this one out.
Jum52 had problems for me with River Raid, and now BBSB. I'll try a few different roms but so far no luck. Any Mac users out there recommend another 5200 emulator?

I won't be in this one. Don't have the cart, and I can't get a 5200 emulator working - I've tried several, with no luck. I got emus for the 2600 and 7800, but can't figure this one out.
Jum52 had problems for me with River Raid, and now BBSB. I'll try a few different roms but so far no luck. Any Mac users out there recommend another 5200 emulator?

Let me clarify - I can't get a 5200 emulator running at all. It's not just a game or two.

i know i can't get anything work on my pocket PC emulator and the emulator on my GP32 is pretty hit or miss for 5200, but i can get some games to work, i've never tried 5200 emu for PC, so can't really help you trouble shoot any more than seeing if you had the system files.

12,480 here. First attempt and first time to get past the first level. Yeh it's hard. :)

For you Dreamcast gamers out there, the way to select 2 to teleport is to push the thumb joystick up. Took me a while to figure that out. ;)

(and if I had just watched the intro/demo I would have figured out how to play the first level.) :D

Edited by doctorclu

Let me clarify - I can't get a 5200 emulator running at all. It's not just a game or two.

Just wanted to say I helped him get AN emulator for the Dreamcast working. :) So hopefully you'll see a score from both him and myself on this. :)

Hey Mac users!!!

I've tinkered with the 5200 emulation on the Mac and I managed to get it running

First I downloaded from here:

http://www.atarimac.com/downloads.php#atari800macx

I used the 5200 rom image I used on the Dreamcast Atari800, and here's the most important thing I think... I had to rename the 5200 to "a5200.rom" and make sure the preferences saw the rom, and naturally I had to select the 5200 system in the Atari800MacX toolbar.

After that, insert the Bounty Bob Strikes Back image that you can get at Atariage, start her up, and the rest works. You have full screen support so I guess after that you have at least the options to play with a keyboard, maybe with a USB joystick. Didn't actually play the game on the Mac myself.

So you Mac users give this a try and jump into this game!

post-4709-1187536985_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Very cool, thanks! It worked like a charm. Man, this game *is* tough. At least I have an excuse in playing with a keyboard. ;P

5150 so far... hehe... I really suck - it's been a long time since I played Miner 2049'er, never played BBSB.

Edited by BydoEmpire

You don't have to rename the 5200 system ROM, you could always browse to it in preferences/ROM. Aside from that, yeah Atari800MacX works just fine with BBSB. ;)

Of course if I wanted to punish myself with this game, I could just stick it in the 5200. :D

I can't remember if there was a website out there that let's you d/l the game? I thought it was bigfivesoftware.com but its down.

No it's there....

http://www.bigfivesoftware.com/Emulator/emulator.htm

Heres my 1st attempt (on the real thing :cool: )

post-997-1187215614_thumb.jpg

25,530. This is one damn tough game.

Thanks man, it's to bad it doesn't support joystick or change the keyboard keys.

Up to level 5, so time to share the wealth...

Hints:

(If you are playing on a Dreamcast you can teleport by pushing the stick upward, and later, downward.)

Level 1:

A- Ignore the mutants at the bottom of the screen, grab the "prize" as I'll call it which helps makes the mutants temporarily friendly and immediately teleport.

B- EASTER EGG ... I got a screen after the 4th level, it instructed on the first level to go to the flower pot and immediately punch in "1" and then start which takes you to the 4th level. (On the Dreamcast once you get to the flower select the numberical pad screen, select 1, then hit "A" again to jump, and then "B" to start. Just works) What's funny is, even if you go flying through the flower pot and are falling to your death, you can select the keys and still have this work!!)(Not sure if you loose the life, but you still go to Level 4)

[use of easter eggs/warps/and cheats is forbidden in this contest, but something fun to try when you need to take a break from regular gameplay. And I found these too...

http://www.purecheats.com/index.php/cheats...0Strikes%20Back ]

Level 2:

A- To activate the lift, jump on it, which activates it. You cannot (at least on the DC) get it to operate again until you jump off and then back on it.

B-I found it best to leave the platforms in the upper right hand corner till the very last.

Level 3:

A- The initial vacuum is a three position vacuum. You go to the "1" and hit it. You can change between suck left, suck right, and neutral/off. (Indicated by arrows and dashes.)

Level 4:

This is easiest level of them all so far. The upper platform moves really quick and I've only timed a moving jump on it once or twice. But if you can get to the edge to the side platform where your feet are sticking out just a LITTLE bit without falling off, when the moving platform swings by it will take Bob will it!

So have fun, and if you find any tricks, please, share the wealth... at least after the contest is over. I just like to share hints while contests are going on to make it more fun and get more people involved. :D

BTW... I thought Atari800MacX had USB joystick support. No?

Edited by doctorclu

BTW... I thought Atari800MacX had USB joystick support. No?
There are quite a few joystick options, and I believe it does. I don't have a usb joystick, though. ;) And thanks for your hints - I haven't had *too* much time to play it, but hopefully I can squeeze in a bit more before the end of the competition.