IGNORED

Super Burnout : Hidden Jaglink mode ?

Fredifredo

Hello everybody

I was reading old issues of a french dead mag named "CD Consoles" and

I found 3 times the info of Super Burnout can be played with 8 players mode. The strange thing was : One of the active members of this mag was Elisée Ade ( SB manager ), so the info can't be false... but Everybody here know the final release of the game hasn't jaglink mode !

- CD Consoles Issue 1 ( November 1994 ) page 11

- CD Consoles Issue 2 ( December 1994 ) page 96

- CD Consoles Issue 4 ( February 1995 ) Test of the game about 3 month before the final version ( 25 may 1995 ) !?!?

Any infos on Atari archives ?

ps : Actually the programmer of the game ( Olivier Nallet ) is working in Florida for EA.

Hello everybody

I found 3 times the info of Super Burnout can be played with 8 players mode. The strange thing was : One of the active members of this mag was Elisée Ade ( SB manager ), so the info can't be false... but Everybody here know the final release of the game hasn't jaglink mode !

- CD Consoles Issue 4 ( February 1995 ) Test of the game about 3 month before the final version ( 25 may 1995 ) !?!?

ps : Actually the programmer of the game ( Olivier Nallet ) is working in Florida for EA.

I think what happened was that Super Burnout was to get the jaglink code from ID software who were developing it for Jaguar Doom, but since ID didn't get it 100% right and/or in time, it was cancelled for Super Burnout and other titles of the time (Iron Soldier, Checkered Flag) that were to share the same network code. This was before 4Play had their GOOD network code which is found in both of the Battlesphere's and Aircars. But, if the code is still in Super Burnout and can be activated, that's something, though it would suck a lot worse to have a network crash in the middle of a race, than just whil shooting it out. It was most likely never even implemented in the game code though. It would be interesting to see source code. Now that some have fixed the ID Doom Jaglink code.

Edited by Gunstar

Wow that wouldve been sweet at the time - did the PS or Saturn have any linked racing games like that? It wouldve been an inexpensive connection also with the JagLink vs other networking solutions - damn, wish Atari didnt get the UART f'd up.

Yep, if the UART had worked to start with, we would have a lot more jag-linkable games. Many of our Jag games were initially planned to include it. As it stands, we were lucky to even get Doom Jaglinked. 4play finally got it right, but that was all too late except for Aircars and Battlesphere. Thunderbird of 4Play even fixed the Doom code so it works right, now, possibly others like Matthias Domin or Carl Forhan too, who had the source first. But getting a corrected version out to us is another story. It would be cool, with Super Burnout and others, if source can be found/had for use, if some of the homebrewer's starting making game hacks enabling such stuff. It could create new life in many Jaguar games, and possibly be less involved than writing a big, 3D/psuedo 3D, networkable game from scratch.

In recent years, most, if not all of the Jaguar's "rush job" bugs have "fixes" or "bypasses" to get around now, or have finally been properly learned. Like the main memory JUMP command that was said to be a useless option years ago becuase it didn't work right, when in fact they just didn't know how to use it right. And new and better ways of programming and tools have been learned or are being developed. If only it was all known/fixed 12-13 years ago. It may be a whole different story on the games released and success of the Jaguar. So the Jaguar can finally work to it's fullest potential, or will in time, once the new tools are finished and into potential developer hands, but now we have small hobby teams or solo developers and non-existant budgets...though maybe that's not SO different from working for Atari!

Edited by Gunstar

Hello everybody

thanks alot for sharing buddy!!very interesting to say the least... :cool:

Wow that wouldve been sweet at the time - did the PS or Saturn have any linked racing games like that? It wouldve been an inexpensive connection also with the JagLink vs other networking solutions - damn, wish Atari didnt get the UART f'd up.

Yep, if the UART had worked to start with, we would have a lot more jag-linkable games. Many of our Jag games were initially planned to include it. As it stands, we were lucky to even get Doom Jaglinked. 4play finally got it right, but that was all too late except for Aircars and Battlesphere. Thunderbird of 4Play even fixed the Doom code so it works right, now, possibly others like Matthias Domin or Carl Forhan too, who had the source first. But getting a corrected version out to us is another story. It would be cool, with Super Burnout and others, if source can be found/had for use, if some of the homebrewer's starting making game hacks enabling such stuff. It could create new life in many Jaguar games, and possibly be less involved than writing a big, 3D/psuedo 3D, networkable game from scratch.

In recent years, most, if not all of the Jaguar's "rush job" bugs have "fixes" or "bypasses" to get around now, or have finally been properly learned. Like the main memory JUMP command that was said to be a useless option years ago becuase it didn't work right, when in fact they just didn't know how to use it right. And new and better ways of programming and tools have been learned or are being developed. If only it was all known/fixed 12-13 years ago. It may be a whole different story on the games released and success of the Jaguar. So the Jaguar can finally work to it's fullest potential, or will in time, once the new tools are finished and into potential developer hands, but now we have small hobby teams or solo developers and non-existant budgets...though maybe that's not SO different from working for Atari!

These are very interesting points which you are bringing up.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, if the UART had worked to start with, we would have a lot more jag-linkable games. Many of our Jag games were initially planned to include it. As it stands, we were lucky to even get Doom Jaglinked. 4play finally got it right, but that was all too late except for Aircars and Battlesphere. Thunderbird of 4Play even fixed the Doom code so it works right, now,

it's just to bad that such modded doom will never be released...

I would pay $$$ for a multiplyer doom that works 100%

TXG/MNX

• 4 weeks later...
Super Burnout, at least in my opinion, is probably one of if not the best racing game for the Jag and could only benefit from the JagLink, not like Checkerd Flag where as adding Jaglink would do nothing for the replayability of the game.

Actually, I disagree. Checkered Flag would benefit from the Jaglink. Becuase there are three major problems with Checkered Flag; Frame rate, control and A.I. and Jaglink capability would eliminate the bad A.I. This would improve the game considerably in many people's opinion, I know, becuase it's been discussed many times over the years, becuase like myself, some people can control the game, after an extensive learning curve, but getting past that hurdle one suddenly becomes aware of how bad the A.I. is and the game actually becomes too easy to win. With the Jaglink option, those of us who know how to control the game would enjoy playing against human opponents. The frame-rate issue is there still, but I've learned to accept it and have learned to control the game but the A.I. sucks, so I rarely play it. If I could play it linked, I'd play it a LOT if I had people to challenge. Replayability would drastically increase for many people. If you've never learned or wanted to learn to control CF, then I can understand your perspective/opinion; it wouldn't do anything for you. but I don't agree with that perspective/opinion.

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I discovered this forum while browsing the web!

Funny that people are still talking about a game I wrote more than 13 years ago ;)

So actually the JagLink version was only one vs. one, somebody on the publishing side may have dreamed the 8 players version (possibly because that's what Atari was advertising).

We did not ship with it as the version was too unstable. IIRC The game was randomly crashing.

That was my first game, at that time I did not know how to write more stable network connection to recover from bad hardware.

Also IIRC, I just had few weeks to implement it before we shipped, it was just a nice to have features, so we could not afford to post-pone the ship date.

Oh well, old memories ;)

Hey guys,

Funny that people are still talking about a game I wrote more than 13 years ago ;)

So actually the JagLink version was only one vs. one, somebody on the publishing side may have dreamed the 8 players version (possibly because that's what Atari was advertising).

We did not ship with it as the version was too unstable. IIRC The game was randomly crashing.

That was my first game, at that time I did not know how to write more stable network connection to recover from bad hardware.

Also IIRC, I just had few weeks to implement it before we shipped, it was just a nice to have features, so we could not afford to post-pone the ship date.

Oh well, old memories ;)

Interesting. It would have been really cool to have a network mode but Super Burnout is still a great game without it. Thanks for the post and welcome to Atari Age.

Hey guys,

Oh well, old memories ;)

WECOME TO ATARIAGE!! :cool: you should develope another game for the Jaguar buddy!!! :D

Thanks guys!

Let's say that I'm quite busy with X360 and PS3 these days ;)

I'm sure you appreciate the similarity between the Jaguar and the PS3 Cell, they are not that very different in the way they are designed (not talking vector unit of course).

The Jaguar DSps had the advantage to be able to access the whole memory so it was easier to use them. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

I'm sure you appreciate the similarity between the Jaguar and the PS3 Cell, they are not that very different in the way they are designed (not talking vector unit of course).

The Jaguar DSps had the advantage to be able to access the whole memory so it was easier to use them. ;)

Jaguar games are still being released! you should make another!!! :cool: would be cool!!! do you have the source code to Super Burn Out?? :cool:

Buddy, he's gotta pay the bills. Working on the Jag doesn't pay the bills, or pay much at all.

Only the hardcore fans develop for the Jag.

Very nice of Mr Nallet to drop by though.

Maybe he would be nice enough sometime to tell us some Atari stories. :)

cant blame a buddy for asking though buddy! :cool: Jaguar Rules!!!! the source code would be great to have though... :)

Thanks! :) for sharing that info Olivier, everyone that plays Super Burnout at my house really likes the game it's fast, exciting and challenging. That's great that you found AtariAge.com - It would be great to hear some more about Atari or programming Super Burnout or anything interesting while working with Atari, that you can share with us.

Thanks guys!

Not knowing a thing about the actual inner workings of those two consoles (the jag and the ps3) I could immediately tell the similarities.

I wonder if that will be a bad thing for Sony and its PS3...

We have the history of the jag -- very difficult to program for if you really want to take advantage of the hardware.

It seems the PS3 has been designed the same way. I'm sure it's no walk in the park to code for it, either.

Anyway, thanks for taking a little time out of your busy day to pop in and say "hi." We are the hardcore jag fans and yes, we still talk about (AND PLAY) these games we grew up with. As others have said, Super Burnout is easily one of the best jag games out there. There are some real stinkers, but burnout does not fall into that category :)

Thanks for a great game and the nostalgia that comes from all these years of playing it. It's quite the feat especially when we take into account that it was your first game :D