IGNORED

Found two Atari 2600 Prototypes

apexsensation

While at the thrift store today looking for games, I found two bags of Atari 2600 games containing three games each. (I also found one with The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask)

In any case, one bag had three Activision games: Boxing, Laser Blast and Keystone Kapers. The other however, had a few games I'm curious about. In it, I found Checkers, and two Activision promo carts. The carts are for Beamrider and Pitfall II Lost Caverns.

Both games are in cases with a red/maroon sticker and feature a white typed label. I was able to find info on the Beamrider game at the AtariProtos site, however couldn't turn up anything on the Pitfall II game. Does anyone have any further info that they could share to help me determine any further info on these games?

While at the thrift store today looking for games, I found two bags of Atari 2600 games containing three games each. (I also found one with The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask)

In any case, one bag had three Activision games: Boxing, Laser Blast and Keystone Kapers. The other however, had a few games I'm curious about. In it, I found Checkers, and two Activision promo carts. The carts are for Beamrider and Pitfall II Lost Caverns.

Both games are in cases with a red/maroon sticker and feature a white typed label. I was able to find info on the Beamrider game at the AtariProtos site, however couldn't turn up anything on the Pitfall II game. Does anyone have any further info that they could share to help me determine any further info on these games?

Take pics, that will help greatly.

Besides, we want to see these beauties!

Yep, those are genuine Activision protos. There's a 99.99% chance that they're the same as the final version, but you never know.

Tempest

That's what I was looking to clear up. Is the general rule that when these games feature the solid colored label with a typed title that these games are the finished version?

In any case, to get these two fairly difficult to find games in the wild (by me at least) plus the Activision Checkers for $1.75 with tax isn't too bad. And when you add in the Zelda cart and the other three Activision games for a grand total of $5, I can't complain.

And at the very least, they're fun games, from what I've read on the board thus far.

Edited by apexsensation

Is the general rule that when these games feature the solid colored label with a typed title that these games are the finished version?

Pretty much. I've examined about 40 different Activision prototypes like this and they've almost always been the final versions (unreleased games have been the only exceptions). The only time I've seen a work in progress version of an Activision prototype, it didn't have a label on it, just a sticker with the name.

Tempest

Yep, those are genuine Activision protos. There's a 99.99% chance that they're the same as the final version, but you never know.

Tempest

And a 99.99% chance that they are mask ROM's and hence I wouldn't consider them prototypes, but review copies.

Tempest

And a 99.99% chance that they are mask ROM's and hence I wouldn't consider them prototypes, but review copies.

Yeah this is sort of a gray area.

Tempest

Nice acquisitions...what do you plan to do with the protos???? what city did you find these? just curious... ;)

These were both found at a Savers thrift store in Salt Lake. In general, I'm more of a Nintendo collector and rarely come across any Atari items even slightly uncommon at thrift stores, but that particular store yielded me that great collection of Activision games. The interesting thing is that they had been sitting there for ten days.

I've also found a few other great things there this summer, like a Colecovision power plug and a complete premiere issue of their Experience magazine.

As for what I'll do with the carts, I'll probably sell them, but if I think the games are fun, I may buy them both in their original form.

Let us know if you are interested in selling the protos. Remember one thing though, you cannot sell protos on E-Bay, it is against their selling policy. Your best bet would be to sell them here. If you want to sell them, PM me.

Nice acquisitions...what do you plan to do with the protos???? what city did you find these? just curious... ;)

These were both found at a Savers thrift store in Salt Lake. In general, I'm more of a Nintendo collector and rarely come across any Atari items even slightly uncommon at thrift stores, but that particular store yielded me that great collection of Activision games. The interesting thing is that they had been sitting there for ten days.

I've also found a few other great things there this summer, like a Colecovision power plug and a complete premiere issue of their Experience magazine.

As for what I'll do with the carts, I'll probably sell them, but if I think the games are fun, I may buy them both in their original form.

Wonder007 will give you a fair price and a prompt payment. I recommend you contact him if you are going to sell. You will also help contribute to an awesome collection of proto's by a person who truely apprieciates Atari. I and many others have sold to him before and have had a great transaction :)

BTW - Pitfall 2 is a blast, I highly recommend picking that one up in original form :)

Did Activision send out review copies thast looked like these? The review copies that Activision sent me had white labels with the Activision logo printed on them and the game titles typed on.

Did Activision send out review copies thast looked like these? The review copies that Activision sent me had white labels with the Activision logo printed on them and the game titles typed on.

Do you have pics? Those sound cool to look at :)

I've seen those, I wondered what they were for.

My theory is that the pink/purple labeled ones were for internal review/use and the white labeled ones were for external use. Just a hunch.

Tempest