IGNORED

If people can promote auctions here, at least ban L @ @ K

Room 34

One thing that absolutely drives me nuts on eBay (almost as much as someone selling an "EXTREMELY RARE" E.T. cartridge) is seeing a subject with "LOOK!!!!" or "L @ @ K!!!!!" or "L Q Q K!!!!!!!!!" in the subject. (Why on Earth you'd use the Q's, I have no idea, but I've seen it.)

This kind of tactic is obnoxious and annoying on eBay. But at least when people are hawking their wares, I expect to see such lowbrow tactics.

I do not, however, want to see this kind of annoying crap on these message boards, where I am just coming for enjoyment and information.

I would like to loudly applaud AtariAge for not subjecting us users to banner ads. The aesthetically pleasing design of the site, and its generally non-commercial, information-rich content, is very satisfying to me, and it is really discouraging to see the creepier element of eBay oozing onto these message boards.

So here's what I propose to the Al's: Allow people to announce their eBay auctions here, fine. But if they use any of the eBay lowbrow promotion tactics, like "LOOK!!!" in the post subject, or an ALL CAPS SUBJECT LINE, etc., please consider deleting those posts.

I'd even go so far as to suggest suspending the user, if they consistently only post eBay promotions. It's one thing if forum regulars occasionally offer a friendly notice that they're selling something on eBay, but if a person's only purpose for being on the forums is to lure us into their auctions, then they don't really belong here.

Whew. OK, I'm done.

Heheh, I am not a fan of such tactics either. I have just censored "L Q Q K" and "L @ @ K" so that they will appear as "Look". We will continue to monitor the eBay forum and perhaps send friendly emails to people with a few guidelines for more pleasant promotion if they are using such tactics.

:)

I have just censored "L Q Q K" and "L @ @ K" so that they will appear as "Look".

Did you actually read my message before you did that, or were we just on the same wavelength? By the time I went back to the forum index, I noticed my "L @ @ K" in the subject was coming out as "look"!

I guess I better watch out or you'll have to ban it with spaces too.

Then again, why do I keep using it? I feel like the Knights Who Say "Ni" when they start saying "it." Oh! I said it! OH! I said it again, right there!

Etc.

Enough. Maybe we should just cut to the chase and lock me out of the message boards... :D

I have just censored "L Q Q K" and "L @ @ K" so that they will appear as "Look".

Did you actually read my message before you did that, or were we just on the same wavelength? By the time I went back to the forum index, I noticed my "L @ @ K" in the subject was coming out as "look"!

I guess I better watch out or you'll have to ban it with spaces too.

Then again, why do I keep using it? I feel like the Knights Who Say "Ni" when they start saying "it." Oh! I said it! OH! I said it again, right there!

Etc.

Enough. Maybe we should just cut to the chase and lock me out of the message boards... :D

Heheh, I read your message first. Although that is a pet peeve of mine also - when I see it on AtariAge I get that nasty Usenet spam feeling. So I was happy to agree.

Why fight it? Instead make 'em PAY.. charge $2 per "LQQK" or any other ascii-based point-of-sale. Maybe we have to suffer some "cool dudes" type thing every so often, but we'll know each and every time it's helping keep Atariage banner-free. KaCHING! :)

-RPM-

Room34, I second, or third the motion. I've seen those silly "L@@K!"'s so many, many times. It's gotten to the point that it doesn't irritate me, I just think the person auctioning the item is a moron, or never made it through "Marketing 000001". If browsing Atari items, I will almost always, without exception, NOT look at an item with a "L@@K"; sometimes the item is so unique or unusual that I'll take a look, but not very often.

Good point to bring up, even if it is so common that a great many people take it for granted as some type of "grabber". Nay, I say...

If browsing Atari items, I will almost always, without exception, NOT look at an item with a "look"; sometimes the item is so unique or unusual that I'll take a look, but not very often.

Yes, I do the same thing. I go out of my way to avoid such auctions, and I imagine many other people do also. However, the idea of charging $2 every time the word "L @ @ K" is used does intrigue me. :D

..Al

Why fight it?  Instead make 'em PAY.. charge $2 per "look" or any other ascii-based point-of-sale.

I like this idea. Make posting to the eBay forum only available to subscribers, then block any post with "ebay.com" anywhere in the body from the other forums. Subscriptions to AA could be $25/year. The site should pay for itself in no time.

(Personally, I don't buy from eBay anymore. I find much more enjoyment trying to find stuff locally at swap meets, garage sales, charity shops, pawnbrokers...)

RARE BOXXED L.@.@.K!!!11!!!

>>>MY WIFE DIVORCED me WHEN SHE saw THIS!!11!!!!<<<

OMG EVER WANTED TO DIG UP THE DIRT ON YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY WELL NOW U CAN WITH this BOXED AS NEW L.@.@.K

PERFECT FOR CLUBBERS AND CAMPERS!

blinkingeye.gif

tHIS IS VERY REALISTIC - IT LOOKS JUST LIKE THE REAL THING! (IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE A FAKE) - IT COULD ALMOST BE REAL!!!1!!!!11!!

newzoom2.gif

sum people sell thses for $10000000.00 BUT NOT ME!!! BUY IT TODAY FOR only $1.00!111!!!11!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!