IGNORED

My students' Atari VCS games

ibogost

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The Minotaur game mentioned as one of your favorites in the article above the games doesn't seem to be in the list of games. Where is it? What's it like?

Yeah, I somehow left it out :(. It's a multi-screen maze game with a minotaur enemy. I'll put it up when I post this year's games, which will be sometime between Xmas and the end of January (29 more new games coming...)

man this is awesome :) Whens the last time 40 NEW 2600 games appeared :) 2600 4eva :)

It looks like that'll be 69 soon, and it is awesome.

A multicart probably wouldn't be able to hold very many of these games, because of the way graphics are stored and accessed with bB.

I'm wondering if any of the new batch of games will take advantage of the superchip and bankswitching.

• 2 weeks later...
man this is awesome :) Whens the last time 40 NEW 2600 games appeared :) 2600 4eva :)

It looks like that'll be 69 soon, and it is awesome.

A multicart probably wouldn't be able to hold very many of these games, because of the way graphics are stored and accessed with bB.

I'm wondering if any of the new batch of games will take advantage of the superchip and bankswitching.

SIXTY NINE DUDE! PARTY TIME! EXCELLENT! WYLD STALLIONS RULE!

just many degrees beyond awesome. for sure. totally. gag me with a tooth protector.

Just a quick note to let everyone know that my students turned in their Atari games yesterday. There are 29 new games. I'll be posting all of them sometime between now and New Year's, depending on how my schedule goes.

bloody hell ;) your effort is really appreciated and a big thanks to you and your students for relasing this stuff. i was hunting after some homebrew gba games from a programmers school recently, but they were blocking and didn't release anything to the public, tho they illustrated things on their page... anyway *thumb up*! i will post about every single game 100% ;) atari 2600 can need lots of attention in these days where the majority homebrew is psp and nds only.

-koj

ps: you may put them on a seperate page or mark them as "new", which will prevent confusion to last years releases - just don't mix it up with the old page ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Ok folks, finally all the games from Fall 2007 are up! There are 29 new games, including a pretty slick Dance Dance Revolution game and, perhaps my favorite so far, a dead simple action game called Falldown.

http://www.bogost.com/games/student_atari_games.shtml

Between Batari and Assembly, there are now something like 80 games on that page, so I've started to split them up by term. You can find the newest Batari games at the top of that list (the ones from Fall 2007 :P)

Final Fight has Falldown's description.

Watch out for that Laserblast download, it's over 8 meg. The zip file includes a pdf design document that's most of the 8 Meg. Unzipped, the file is 14+ Meg. They probably need to tweak some settings and recreate the PDF. As it's only 6 pages, I imagine it could easily be a more download friendly size. I suspect the resolution of the graphics is way high.

The title "snake2" appears twice on the web page. Spacetroids is titled incorrectly.

(Don't mean to be annoying. Stop me if I am. Just figured the editing would be helpful.)

Edited by BigO

Final Fight has Falldown's description.

Watch out for that Laserblast download, it's over 8 meg. The zip file includes a pdf design document that's most of the 8 Meg. Unzipped, the file is 14+ Meg. They probably need to tweak some settings and recreate the PDF. As its only 6 pages, I imagine it could easily be a more download friendly size. I suspect the resolution of the graphics is way high.

The title "snake2" appears twice on the web page. Spacetroids is titled incorrectly.

(Don't mean to be annoying. Stop me if I am. Just figured the editing would be helpful.)

Thanks, I want it to be correct! I've fixed these and compressed the Laserblast file so it's a bit less oppressive.

Dance Dance Revolution game...

That game's too fast for me, but I've been wondering how well a "joy joy revolution" game would go over if it used my BTP2 (Better than Pitfall II) music (or maybe even a successor version BTP! (Better Than Pokey!) music).

yea, i was the only one of our team actually able to complete the game. i suppose you get a feeling for it after testing the synchronization ad infinitum. Kind of hits that super-niche market of stepmania-playing atari2600 owners.

As for your song, the ddr source code is in there and is pretty modular. the sound processing is pretty much the same as an example posted on one bB documentation page, "change note reg after x cycles", with a windowing function. Since the game draws arrows every 4 cycles, if you used the same method for sound playback, just make sure your durations are all multiples of 4 and start experimenting with step patterns. the only catch is that it the sound may break down or get weird volume control if you have a note duration less than 8 cycles (but id stick to 12).

• 2 weeks later...