IGNORED

AtariAge Wiki?

Fort Apocalypse

"might tend to develop a (new?) structure as it grows with each new article"

That has happened for us twice! It comes down to scope and who is contributing. Whatever structure makes sense for active contributions will just happen with few hassles. When the scope of contributions changes significantly, then new structure is needed sometimes to frame things properly.

IMHO, that's not a significant worry, so long as initial contributions have a reasonable structure. That will be seen and built upon with little conflict.

I already have Mediawiki installed in my own box. I find volunteers for adding content and suggestions.

If you want to help, please send me a private message and I will give you the instructions about how to access.

Of course not technical knowledge is required, just knowing this system enough and wanting to put information. People with technical skills will be welcome ;)

I did a forum post on atariki here. I would like to have translated content from atariki on this English wiki.

Albert, do you agree with my idea? ;)

EDIT:

If someone want to access the forums and collabore, give me an username and I will send you by private message the address and a temporary password.

Here I posted about this on atari-forum.com, a forum and wiki about 16/32 bit machines.

Edited by timofonic

• 4 weeks later...

Albert,

Just curious if you've had a chance to think about a wiki some more, and possibly hosting one via AtariAge. Unfortunately, wikispaces is fairly limited. For example, you can't repost a file with the same filename it will ignore the second file iirc. And I tried to copy and paste the entire bB reference page, but it corrupted it in the process of pasting it and also wouldn't hold the entire page of data in one wiki page (granted it is a long page, but that is kind of limiting). Also, it seems like it is in AtariAge's best interest to keep all of the info centralized and on your site as it would attract more folks to Atari homebrewing.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I've taken a look and found that there is a nice Wikimedia component already available for this forum software (IP.Board). Should be easy to integrate into the current site--mostly I'll just have to spend some time properly skinning it. Here's a link to the module:

http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.p...p;showfile=1039

There's a demo here:

http://www.ipbwiki.com/Ipb_Wiki:Integratio..._with_MediaWiki

..Al

Holy crap, this is awesome! :lust:

I can totally imagine each homebrew game getting its own page (which could itself have more pages, game manual, etc.!) and you can even show related topics in the wiki page and has single sign-on!

http://www.ipbwiki.com/IpbWiki_Features

Yes, the integration is pretty impressive. :)

..Al

:thumbsup: I assume editing is limited to members only. If so, that's exactly what bB needs, as it will place some of the burden of documentation on other people :D

Holy crap, this is awesome! :lust:

I can totally imagine each homebrew game getting its own page (which could itself have more pages, game manual, etc.!) and you can even show related topics in the wiki page and has single sign-on!

http://www.ipbwiki.com/IpbWiki_Features

Yes, the integration is pretty impressive. :)

..Al

:thumbsup: I assume editing is limited to members only. If so, that's exactly what bB needs, as it will place some of the burden of documentation on other people :D

Yes, I would only allow editing by AA members, otherwise I know it would be vandalized, to say nothing about normal spammers.

..Al

I need a break from this cart assembly, so after I do a forum upgrade I am going to install this module. Once I get it installed people can start writing articles and as articles are written, perhaps some structure will emerge. I am open to ideas as for broad categories that things should be broken down into. For instance, "Programming" is an obvious one, with batari Basic underneath that..

..Al

I need a break from this cart assembly, so after I do a forum upgrade I am going to install this module. Once I get it installed people can start writing articles and as articles are written, perhaps some structure will emerge. I am open to ideas as for broad categories that things should be broken down into. For instance, "Programming" is an obvious one, with batari Basic underneath that..

Not going to get to this tonight. Did the forum upgrade (which fortunately went smoothly), but it's already past midnight so I'm not going to attempt this now. I have to first install Wikimedia on the server before I can even install the IpbWiki. I should be able to get to it in the next few days.

..Al

• 1 month later...

I've been working on http://stella.wikidot.com/ for the last couple of days on-and-off -- I hadn't announced it yet. However, I'd be perfectly glad to port all of my work over to an official AtariAge wiki if that's still going to happen. I like WikiDot's system, but I'm also a little frustrated with its lack of ability to take raw HTML, and the linking syntax bugs me a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Albert,

Is a wiki still being planned? Sorry to bother about it.

It also be killer to be able to host homebrews developed in the forum somewhere other than the forum (just to make them easier to find). Maybe even alongside the other 2600 cart images (or in similar manner)? Better yet would be the ability for people to request carts for those games easily (so anyone on forum could put a bB game up on the site along with cart label image, and they/someone else could request AA to burn to cart for $30 or similar). I know some stuff in the forums that is homebrew have names that might have more licensing issues if they were easier to find (using cartoon character names, etc.), but it still would be nice.

I know it probably isn't possible (that last thing). Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Is a wiki still being planned? Sorry to bother about it.

I did install a Wiki on the site and played with it a bit, but it seems to be relatively complex to skin and make it fit in easily with the rest of the site. Not something I have time to work on now. And since a new version of the forum software is coming along soon, I'd prefer to wait until that's available and installed here. Then perhaps I can get someone more knowledgeable with Wikis to help properly set one up here. :)

It also be killer to be able to host homebrews developed in the forum somewhere other than the forum (just to make them easier to find). Maybe even alongside the other 2600 cart images (or in similar manner)?

I plan on purchasing the "Downloads" module from Invision (creators of this forum software), to make it easier for homebrew/hack authors to maintain binaries (and other files). This would also make it easier for people to look at all the hacks/homebrews for which binaries have been publicly posted.

Better yet would be the ability for people to request carts for those games easily (so anyone on forum could put a bB game up on the site along with cart label image, and they/someone else could request AA to burn to cart for $30 or similar). I know some stuff in the forums that is homebrew have names that might have more licensing issues if they were easier to find (using cartoon character names, etc.), but it still would be nice.

I would be open to doing this. I make plenty of one-off carts as it is--making the process easier for people to purchase carts of this nature would be nice..

..Al