IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 12 Keystone Kapers

MIKE5200

Hi and welcome to another round, this time is Keystone Kapers

Rules are the same as always, emulation is allowed, any controller is fine, default difficulty or higher.

So get going competition will end 9-22-2007.

Edited for Final Leaderboard (Atari5200)

Cafeman: 128800

BydoEmpire: 91000

Lord Thag: 59200

eegt97: 57800

Artlover: 38100

Edited by Atari5200

44,000 even. I need to learn to get past the 3-in-a-row sparky generators on level 10, although I think I just figured it out last game...

[Edit]Aha - 53,000. Took a pic, but I got the score right before I left for work so I didn't upload. Triple jumps, I own you now!!!

Edited by BydoEmpire

What's the secret hidden trick? Level 5 is as high as I can reach and I can't get past it.

There just isn't enough time for me to get by everything going the long way and I find the elevators quite useless as they are always going in the wrong direction when I come across an open cab to jump in. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know about a secret hidden trick, but if you do get an elevator ready for you on the 1st floor, definitely take it to the 2nd floor. I've never been able to take it up to the 3rd floor successfully because the theif just turns around and runs back. If your timing was *just right* you might be able to do it. I believe that each round the elevator starts where it left off the previous round.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I almost always take the elevators. You either get a jump on the thief by taking it to the second floor, or you chase the bastard down (either direction) by riding it to the third floor.

So I assume you're lucky in as much as its always going in the directtion you want? I can't say the same. More often then not, if I'm on the 1st floor, it's on the 2nd or 3rd. If I'm on the second floor, it's either on the 3rd floor, or on the 2nd going down.

Should I just waste time sitting in it waiting for it to go where I want? :ponder:

So I assume you're lucky in as much as its always going in the directtion you want? I can't say the same. More often then not, if I'm on the 1st floor, it's on the 2nd or 3rd. If I'm on the second floor, it's either on the 3rd floor, or on the 2nd going down.

Should I just waste time sitting in it waiting for it to go where I want?

It's not luck. If the elevator is 'going your way' at the start, you run, grab it, and take it to the 2nd floor, and resume the chase using the escalators. If it's going up, you still wait, and then take it all the way to third. This almost always saves time, as you face FAR less obstacles (which becomes critical once you get to the later areas). In other words, I generally ALWAYS wait for the elevator when i get to it on the first floor. Make sense?

69K on A800win.

I had forgotten just how diabolical the speeds and placements of some obstacles can be.

Like shopping carts hurled at top speed , from behind you, just as you enter the stage. I imagine Rosie can't find the ice cream isle and has just about had ENOUGH, and hurls the cart. Poor Keystone Kop.

Or shopping carts you jump over, but there isn't enough time to running-jump both of them. So you stand still and jump them both, or if you are skilled, you can run-jump one and stand-jump the other (saves a second or two).

Those bouncing balls get me every time. The first incarnation you can just jump over it. The second, you must duck under. The third, you have to jump over 2 in a row but they kind of linger in the air just long enough to make it tricky.

And what are those black things with glowing pixels at top supposed to be?

post-37-1189868189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

And what are those black things with glowing pixels at top supposed to be?

Old-style 50's radios playing music, I believe.

96000! Awesome. Damn it, now I gotta go play it again. :D

I always thought they were some kind of electric generator. You got 96k!?!? Damn it, now *I* have to go play again!!! ;) Good stuff. The dual, low bouncing balls around level 15 get me every time. They took pretty much all of my lives on my last game.

Time to separate the boys from the men! 128,800!

Two slow ball tip: if you are trying to reach the elevator at the level start (still on the first floor), just run into them so you can use the elevator to quickly reach the 2nd floor, get off and watch out for speedy carts & planes & get your man quick for a high bonus.

Else, just learn their timing and the second the first ball starts to drop, make sure you are enough pixels to the side and quickly run-and-jump over it. Repeat. (The high-bouncing balls which appear earlier in the game -- duck under them).

post-37-1189986074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

59.200 for me. That'll about do it too. Got sucked into Star Raiders again :D

I can't seem to get the hang of those twin low-bouncing balls either, at least not consistently. It takes too long to get to them to practice on them either. Wish I had more time to play :x

I can't seem to get the hang of those twin low-bouncing balls either, at least not consistently. It takes too long to get to them to practice on them either.

You can start each game at any level from 1 to 16. It appears that Level 16 repeats indefinitely afterwards. Anyway, start at level 16 and the 2nd screen has those dreaded low-boucing balls for good practice. You have to press the number keys to pick yer level.

Edited by Cafeman

You can start each game at any level from 1 to 16. It appears that Level 16 repeats indefinitely afterwards. Anyway, start at level 16 and the 2nd screen has those dreaded low-boucing balls for good practice. You have to press the number keys to pick yer level.

:dunce:

And that, friends, is why you get the manuals instead of going for loose carts like me. :D

Winner goes to Cafeman with 128,800!

Guess we wait for Atari5200, Tell us the next game.

Congrats to Cafeman, that's a great score. I didn't have time to play any more this week, but I think I could break 100k given a few more tries. This was a fun week, I got a LOT better playing it a lot over the two weeks.

Winner goes to Cafeman with 128,800!

Guess we wait for Atari5200, Tell us the next game.

Nice job, man! I got a bit better, but work interfered with my play time, alas.

So, what's next? Do we just want to pick another game?