IGNORED

My Lynx Flash Card / What do you think?

Lynxman

And by the power vested in me as a Lynx FlashCard owner:

You ever thinked about Ballblazer on the Lynx? (Lynxblazer :cool: )

I would buy 1. :)

Ooo yeah, that Mode 7 demo is so very promising! I hope at some point you can create a cool game using that!

Lynxman, IIRC, Hyperdrome is basically a Ballblazer clone. It's been a while since I played it, so I can't be sure.

Cheers,

Smeg

And by the power vested in me as a Lynx FlashCard owner:

You ever thinked about Ballblazer on the Lynx? (Lynxblazer :cool: )

I would buy 1. :)

Ooo yeah, that Mode 7 demo is so very promising! I hope at some point you can create a cool game using that!

Lynxman, IIRC, Hyperdrome is basically a Ballblazer clone. It's been a while since I played it, so I can't be sure.

Cheers,

Smeg

Okay, Rescue on Fractalus clone anybody? ;)

I'm not really sure what I'll do yet, if anything. I haven't even currently got working tools, so I guess the very first thing I'm going to do is head over to the programming forum and read up. Then maybe something Mode 7y or something corridory (but not a Wolfenstein-ish ray caster, as it's been done) or maybe just a generic floaty polygon thing. Or, knowing me, probably nothing. Being from the UK, in terms of thinking big with 8bits I'm much more angled towards the likes of Elite, The Sentinel and Stunt Car Racer than Rescue on Fractalus or Ballblazer. That said, I'd never even heard of Rescue on Fractalus until about a month ago and haven't yet figured out how the code must work, so that one does at least hold curiosity value...

I'm not really sure what I'll do yet, if anything. I haven't even currently got working tools, so I guess the very first thing I'm going to do is head over to the programming forum and read up. Then maybe something Mode 7y or something corridory (but not a Wolfenstein-ish ray caster, as it's been done) or maybe just a generic floaty polygon thing. Or, knowing me, probably nothing. Being from the UK, in terms of thinking big with 8bits I'm much more angled towards the likes of Elite, The Sentinel and Stunt Car Racer than Rescue on Fractalus or Ballblazer. That said, I'd never even heard of Rescue on Fractalus until about a month ago and haven't yet figured out how the code must work, so that one does at least hold curiosity value...

Stunt Car Racer would be very cool. Should be possible to implement Comlynx support and of cause highscores with the 93C46.

I guess I was never good enough to get to the levels where the Jaggis started attacking your ship. If I can get my 800XL working again, find all of its cables and controllers AND find my floppy with that game, I'm really dying to try it again.

• 5 months later...

OK then - I got my FlashCard (made especially for Lynx 1!!!).

Everything worx perfectly and I'm delighted! :) Many thanx for Lynxman for making a special card for me (I'm a fan of L1 machine), I'm very grateful.

FlashCard_and_LYNX_1.JPG

The FlashCard in Lynx 1.

If anybody's interested in details, then I can add two important things:

1) It IS possible to fully close the L1's hatch when the FlashCard is inside but one has to be pretty carreful and watch exactly in what positions are: the hatch and the FlashCard while (slow) closing.

2) I noticed that in L1 the FlashCard should not be fully sticked in. I have to leave it about 1 milimeter higher to make the Lynx work properly. Still the full closing of the hatch is easily possible.

FlashCard_and_LYNX_1_(closer).JPG

Closer look.

Many thanx for Lynxman for his splendid job!! :) :) ;)

I've used the card in my Lynx Is as well. Just need to be careful. ;)

It is very important to be carefull cause of the resonator. It is possible to damage the resonator from the (standard) FlashCard during removing from the Lynx I.

This is the reason why i recomment a Lynx II to use.

Edited by Lynxman

• 5 months later...

Greetings, are there any Lynx Flashcart users out there who are also Mac users who program the flashcart with their Mac? if so, can you send me a message and maybe answer a few questions I have? alternatively, if anyone can point me to any discussions specifically related to mac users of the cart, I'd appreciate it.

many thanks

Greetings, are there any Lynx Flashcart users out there who are also Mac users who program the flashcart with their Mac? if so, can you send me a message and maybe answer a few questions I have? alternatively, if anyone can point me to any discussions specifically related to mac users of the cart, I'd appreciate it.

many thanks

There should be no problem as you only need a terminal software independent on what host system you want to program your card. Doesnt matter if its an OSX, Linux oder anything else.

many thanks

There should be no problem as you only need a terminal software independent on what host system you want to program your card. Doesnt matter if its an OSX, Linux oder anything else.

yes but i am not a terminal user and I need some hand holding, I have some questions. I can't get it to work. I would appreciate any osx user or terminal user to assist me with some questions I have. it is actually a problem :(

yes but i am not a terminal user and I need some hand holding, I have some questions. I can't get it to work. I would appreciate any osx user or terminal user to assist me with some questions I have. it is actually a problem :(

So? ... Ask!

What is your showstopper?

So? ... Ask!

I'd rather have someone message me privately or indicate that i can message them privately.

When I fire up Terminal under OSX with the cart attached I don't get any connectivity or see HOW to connect. I am sure I'm missing something stupidily basic, but again, I'm not a terminal user nor am I a game coder.

So? ... Ask!

I'd rather have someone message me privately or indicate that i can message them privately.

When I fire up Terminal under OSX with the cart attached I don't get any connectivity or see HOW to connect. I am sure I'm missing something stupidily basic, but again, I'm not a terminal user nor am I a game coder.

please attach a screenshot of your terminalsoftware than we can help you find the right buttons :)

I need an OSX user. the terminal window in OSX has no buttons, it is all command line and I do not want to do this publicly right now, I'd be glad to publish the results. I feel stupid enough as it is without it being drawn out painstakingly in public. An osx user will not need me to make screenshots, they'll be familiar with the layout and commands.

I need an OSX user. the terminal window in OSX has no buttons, it is all command line and I do not want to do this publicly right now, I'd be glad to publish the results. I feel stupid enough as it is without it being drawn out painstakingly in public. An osx user will not need me to make screenshots, they'll be familiar with the layout and commands.

you need a terminal for serial conection, not the system terminal

for example download zoc-terminal

http://www.zdnet.de/apple_netzwerk_zoc_terminal_screenshot-39002345-171472-1.htm

connect you flashcard with the mac with USB. Install the driver.

Start the software and start a connection with your flashcard.

be sure that you set the right speed of the port. (9600B?)

then type w to start sending the file.

if the flashcart asks you sending the file, klick on the button send file, select it and the transfer runs.

http://www.zdnet.de/...45-171472-1.htm

if the flashcart asks you sending the file, klick on the button send file, select it and the transfer runs.

I appreciate the head's up on the difference between "terminal" and 'terminal' .... when something is written that says "use any terminal program" and mentions OSX in the same breath, I don't see how a novice user can differentiate that.... but ok, I'll bite on your much appreciated suggestion... when I go to download the driver, there are three versions for osx. 32bit 64bit and PPC. my laptop is a 2008 era dual core intel so I know it is not PPC . no idea if it is 32 or 64. and I can not find any indication of that in the system profiler :(

when i open zoc after installing the 32bit driver [i just guessed which one to install], and set the type of connection to serial, I did see the usb V1270011 choice. I set the speed to 9600, but there are SO many other parameters to set, how do I know what is what? and furthermore, you say type W to write, but how do i tell zoc what file I want to write? how do I know it connects and writes? how do I know if I am doing it right? these are the niggling details that are eluding me and I would rather not show my ignorance and stupidity in public... this sucks

I appreciate the head's up on the difference between "terminal" and 'terminal' .... when something is written that says "use any terminal program" and mentions OSX in the same breath, I don't see how a novice user can differentiate that.... but ok, I'll bite on your much appreciated suggestion... when I go to download the driver, there are three versions for osx. 32bit 64bit and PPC. my laptop is a 2008 era dual core intel so I know it is not PPC . no idea if it is 32 or 64. and I can not find any indication of that in the system profiler :(

when i open zoc after installing the 32bit driver [i just guessed which one to install], and set the type of connection to serial, I did see the usb V1270011 choice. I set the speed to 9600, but there are SO many other parameters to set, how do I know what is what? and furthermore, you say type W to write, but how do i tell zoc what file I want to write? how do I know it connects and writes? how do I know if I am doing it right? these are the niggling details that are eluding me and I would rather not show my ignorance and stupidity in public... this sucks

hmm, the link from ftdi in the column 32bit and 64bit links to the same file, so its the same ;-)

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg

than make a conection, when the terminal says you are conected, you can press the "anykey" button on your flashcrad. Then you get the menu from your flashcard shown in the mainwindow of your terminal-software. - if this runs, your conection is OK, if you see garbage, the baudrate is not right

you there have a line, where you can enter any text with your keyboard. enter w and press enter, the software sends the command to your flashcard...try it

The other options are not relevant for the first run.

select the conection type, the port, the speed...cause thats the only things you need to setup.

Edited by matashen

hmm, the link from ftdi in the column 32bit and 64bit links to the same file, so its the same ;-)

http://www.ftdichip....ver_v2_2_14.dmg

than make a conection, when the terminal says you are conected, you can press the "anykey" button on your flashcrad. Then you get the menu from your flashcard shown in the mainwindow of your terminal-software. - if this runs, your conection is OK, if you see garbage, the baudrate is not right

you there have a line, where you can enter any text with your keyboard. enter w and press enter, the software sends the command to your flashcard...try it

select the conection type, the port, the speed...cause thats the only things you need to setup.

ok, I restarted the computer with the card linked. opened zoc, found the usb serial connection, connected and pressed the ANYKEY and it did show the commands

however, I can not type anything into the window... it won't let me type :( I feel like this is closer than I have gotten on previous attempts but still stuck. where/how do i type a command into zoc?

trying all sorts of things and still can not type anything into the window. when i select 'send file' I can navigate to my roms folder, select a rom and then it hangs asking me to OK the transfer but the only buttons it gives are "cancel" and "folder" there is no OK button

sheeesh

http://www.ftdichip....ver_v2_2_14.dmg

ok, I restarted the computer with the card linked. opened zoc, found the usb serial connection, connected and pressed the ANYKEY and it did show the commands

however, I can not type anything into the window... it won't let me type :( I feel like this is closer than I have gotten on previous attempts but still stuck. where/how do i type a command into zoc?

in Windows i use ALT+C to get the command line, with the mac there must be this option too.

in the command line you can enter the w command

in Windows i use ALT+C to get the command line, with the mac there must be this option too.

in the command line you can enter the w command

I tried that and variations. i looked under the help menu and most of the help is geared towards windows users, which fucking figures but I did find this and i am now even more confused:

ZOC Command Line Files

commandline.ini

The wealth of command line options can make starting ZOC a bit tedious. If you want some of the parameters to be always used, you can create a file named commandline.ini with an editor. (For backward compatibility ZOC also accepts a file named zoc.cfg for the same purpose.). Under Windows save the file in the ZOC program directory (same folder where ZOC.EXE resides).

Under Mac OS X put the commandline.ini file into the Contents folder inside the zoc6.app application bundle (right click ZOC, Show Package Contents, then select Contents). Alternately you create a file named .zoc6_commandline in your user's home folder (i.e./Users/You/.zoc6_commandline).

Then put one command line option per line into it:

Example:

commandline.ini

/RUN:mystart.zrx

/MAX

what the hell... why can't i just type into the fucking thing?