IGNORED

Any new info or rumors on these 7800 MIAs?

PressureCooker2600

The only electrocop shots found were these graphics concepts that Jetboot Jack got us a while ago.

I think that the screenshots and sprite table would be a good basis for a homebrewer to go to town though (wishful thinking) :grin:

Hopefully the product will show up itself someday, assuming that the protos weren't destroyed or sitting on the shelf of a greedy collector who has no interest in sharing with anyone else.

The only electrocop shots found were these graphics concepts that Jetboot Jack got us a while ago.

I think that the screenshots and sprite table would be a good basis for a homebrewer to go to town though (wishful thinking) :grin:

Hopefully the product will show up itself someday, assuming that the protos weren't destroyed or sitting on the shelf of a greedy collector who has no interest in sharing with anyone else.

It's people like you that make these "greedy collectors" not want to share in the first place.

If it weren't for collectors (greedy ones especially), we probably wouldn't have half of the cool shit that we do.

LOL - easy now - I didn't say "all collectors are greedy", now did I?

Most collectors I've encountered are incredibly generous folks that go out of their way to benefit the hobby, preserve the history of these works, document it and ultimately educate the interest on it. Look at Atariprotos.com. Stuff like that is fabulous.

There are a few collectors who collect for the purpose of having something no one else does and for increasing the value of the cartridge. It's their right certainly, but it does kind of suck for everyone else.

It's people like you that make these "greedy collectors" not want to share in the first place.

I do agree that some folks can be over-zealous, yes. I also think that when collectors share things, they should be supported by the community, which has been my policy.

Again, I didn't say "all collectors are greedy" and I'm sorry it was interpreted that way.

With a few exceptions, I haven't really met any "greedy" collectors in the Atari community. Most of the time when a rom is known to exist and hasn't been released it's because of legal or other reasons, not greed.

On the other hand, once you get outside the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/etc. community and into things like the NES, Neo Geo, SNES, etc. then you start running into some (but not all that many) hoarders. Then once you get into semi-recent consoles like the Saturn and PSX you start running into legal issues again so people are more afraid to share prototypes. It's really not all black and white, there are lots of shades of gray in between.

Tempest

With a few exceptions, I haven't really met any "greedy" collectors in the Atari community. Most of the time when a rom is known to exist and hasn't been released it's because of legal or other reasons, not greed.

On the other hand, once you get outside the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/etc. community and into things like the NES, Neo Geo, SNES, etc. then you start running into some (but not all that many) hoarders. Then once you get into semi-recent consoles like the Saturn and PSX you start running into legal issues again so people are more afraid to share prototypes. It's really not all black and white, there are lots of shades of gray in between.

Tempest

Yeah - I haven't met that many "greedy collectors" either. Only a few, really. Still, sadly, I have met a few hoarders as you call them. Certainly, it is their right to do so -- just kinda sucks.

Edited by DracIsBack

OK. I admit that I am wayyyy-y-y-y out of touch when it comes to this topic but I do eventually find some of it interesting.

Lets be tactful and diplomatic then... Regardless of all alleged legalities, anyone who deliberately hoards or does not share classic Atari games that are known to be a one of a kind item (i.e. unreleased prototypes like 7800 Electrocop), especially when they know that there are collectors that would appreciate owning a copy, is a ninny and a poor sport.

OK. I admit that I am wayyyy-y-y-y out of touch when it comes to this topic but I do eventually find some of it interesting.

Lets be tactful and diplomatic then... Regardless of all alleged legalities, anyone who deliberately hoards or does not share classic Atari games that are known to be a one of a kind item (i.e. unreleased prototypes like 7800 Electrocop), especially when they know that there are collectors that would appreciate owning a copy, is a ninny and a poor sport.

And what happens if they pay $3000 for this game, and it's illegal to make copies of it because they don't have a license to do so, and said "collectors" that want to play won't donate money to compensate for the loss of value to the cart after it being dumped?

Is that person still a "ninny" and "poor sport?"

Well.. Yes. If you spend $3,000 on an Atari game (HA!!), you are a ninny. I can however see your point about the returns on the investment. My apologies. I take back the "poor sport" portion of my post. The license part of the argument really does seem a bit over the top though. Does one really need a license to do this sort of thing? What's the worst that could happen? Seems a wee bit paranoid.

And what happens if they pay $3000 for this game, and it's illegal to make copies of it because they don't have a license to do so, and said "collectors" that want to play won't donate money to compensate for the loss of value to the cart after it being dumped?

Interesting question. Understand the legal dilemma. Sometimes find it odd that people won't even share screen shots or descriptions of video captures (even annonymously) so that info can be shared about the game. Certainly, people are curious about what 7800 Electrocop looks like. What would cause the value to sink by sharing a screen shot or video through one of the annonymous channels?

As for the cost issue, can certainly appreciate it, though saddened by the fact that the value is very occasionally kept artificially high by people deliberately hoarding it. Agree though, that if a game is released, people should try to support by purchasing, even when a ROM is available.

Speaking of which, can wait for my 8-bit Xenophobe cart to arrive in the mail.

Edited by DracIsBack

Birdie: $5000 to get Missing in Action for 7800 out to everyone. That was just this past year.

What can happen? It's copyright infringement. If these companies knew what was going on, they would probably file ceast and decists, but a lot of times people keep the person(s) who made this hidden, but it's not like this is legal by any means. If you think it is, please contact Chuck Norris, the movie studios, Warner Bros, and Disney and see what they would have to say about this. I'm sure they would scare you a little bit more.

I'm not trying to out a damper here on everything, and I completely support the whole buying repros deal, but don't be hypocritical and be upset at someone not wanting to share a ROM to the public. Ask Steve Woita why he hasn't released Police Academy for the NES to anyone. I've been dying to play that game, and he has an actual prototype of it, but he won't sell or release it. Why? It's not his to do so and he does not have the rights to do this. I want to see someone call HIM out for hoarding.

We all take this for granted because these are "dead systems", but copyrights are copyrights.

Drac" The only way protos hold value in collectors hands is IF it is undumped. Ask any collector what unreleased proto already released for 2600 would fetch 1K on the open market. I know what you are saying about "artificial" increases, but to me it's the one-of-a-kind deal that many collectors want to have. It's cool to have something no one has, simple as that. Take this from someone who's shared more than half of his unreleased game collection and still gets flack. Most of the ROM guys aren't collectors like I am, and that's what I've always had an issue with. The interest is gone, and the game is worthless once its dumped to most of them.

Edited by DreamTR

Birdie: $5000 to get Missing in Action for 7800 out to everyone. That was just this past year.

What can happen? It's copyright infringement. If these companies knew what was going on, they would probably file ceast and decists, but a lot of times people keep the person(s) who made this hidden, but it's not like this is legal by any means. If you think it is, please contact Chuck Norris, the movie studios, Warner Bros, and Disney and see what they would have to say about this. I'm sure they would scare you a little bit more.

I'm not trying to out a damper here on everything, and I completely support the whole buying repros deal, but don't be hypocritical and be upset at someone not wanting to share a ROM to the public. Ask Steve Woita why he hasn't released Police Academy for the NES to anyone. I've been dying to play that game, and he has an actual prototype of it, but he won't sell or release it. Why? It's not his to do so and he does not have the rights to do this. I want to see someone call HIM out for hoarding.

We all take this for granted because these are "dead systems", but copyrights are copyrights.

Drac" The only way protos hold value in collectors hands is IF it is undumped. Ask any collector what unreleased proto already released for 2600 would fetch 1K on the open market. I know what you are saying about "artificial" increases, but to me it's the one-of-a-kind deal that many collectors want to have. It's cool to have something no one has, simple as that. Take this from someone who's shared more than half of his unreleased game collection and still gets flack. Most of the ROM guys aren't collectors like I am, and that's what I've always had an issue with. The interest is gone, and the game is worthless once its dumped to most of them.

You see thats the thing, All these kids want to be able to get a "copy" of a proto for $20 bucks and thats fine and dandy if the rom is out there but bitching and complaining that it isn't out there when the only reason they even think the game might actually exist in proto format is cause someone else who is a million times more dedicated to the game took the time to find it in the first place and also shelled out the big bucks to aquire it. God forbid an online group finds out someone specific has the proto if they don't want to dump or sell it cause they will get hounded to the floor and here is the real problem with that. All the ones that moan and groan about not being able to get something that is worth $3000 for $20 are just foolish. They say they want a copy of a game that is a one of a kind but want to get it for $20 bucks when it's worth $3000 but say anyone that does pay the $3000 and then lets you be able to get your copy for $20 is a ninny? RIGHT!!! :roll: Anyone else see a bit of a catch there?? :ponder:

Hey. Not everybody buys these. To be honest, I personally can't even afford $20 for a repro let alone $3,000. The only proto repro I own is A8 Blaster and I think I may have paid $15 for it like 5 years ago. Cool game.

This is great to hear all of the explanations about why many of these games have yet to be released to the public. Folks like myself may not necessarily have nearly as much insight into this subject in comparison to the people who make Atari a major part of their lives. Unfortunately this issue seemed to require saying something controversial to make it happen but this really does make for a great conversation. I suppose I could have just asked "why?". If I had some heavy coin and I knew where to buy one of these old sought after unreleased games, I probably would.. And I would probably sell them for $20 a piece to make up for the initial costs too. I guess I am not as much if a devout Atarian and needed to acquire a greater understanding of the depth of this issue for interest sake. Thanks for filling me in.

Has anyone encountered any legal issues with the recent release of MIA?

Speaking of which, can wait for my 8-bit Xenophobe cart to arrive in the mail.

Your going to love it. It's a great game. Hopefully more people will get a copy.

Allan

I'm looking forward to it. Given how much I enjoyed COMMANDO and MIDI MAZE when they got released, I'm looking forward to this as well. Atari had some good things in the oven when they scrapped the line and I'm impressed with the quality. Next up, Deflektor.

Has anyone encountered any legal issues with the recent release of MIA?

Nope, I personally find it more of a $$$ thing that a worry about being sued. If you do what you do and follow along when they send you a C&D (if that was to ever even happen) your normally fine what I gather. I know where to get the unreleased proto's but I sure as hell don't have the cash to buy them. There has not been a single case yet where a company has taken full legal action agenst a hobbist for dumping out a unreleased proto but I wouldn't even bat an eye if some juggernaut did do such a thing to protect there IP.