IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 13 *Space Dungeon*

Atari5200

It's time for another round of 5200 HSC. Get the 5200 out of the closet, which I've hope all of you have done by now, and get ready for this rounds game, SPACE DUNGEON.

Rules are the same as always, emulation is allowed, any controller scheme you want will be fine, and high score wins the round. Competition will end on 10-06-2007.

Let's get playing.

Final Leaderboard:

1. Noahsmybro:339885

2. phuzaxeman: 19232

3. Cafeman: 18825

4. Mike5200: 6715

Edited by Atari5200

It's time for another round of 5200 HSC. Get the 5200 out of the closet, which I've hope all of you have done by now, and get ready for this rounds game, SPACE DUNGEON.

Rules are the same as always, emulation is allowed, any controller scheme you want will be fine, and high score wins the round. Competition will end on 10-06-2007.

Let's get playing.

cool....

Unplayable for me.

Don't have the cart (or 2 decently working 5200 sticks if I did).

PC emulation is horrible via keyboard alone. Using keyboard to move and mouse to fire would have worked ok, but I can't seem to map the mouse as a joystick in Atari800win 4.0 beta 7.

The xbox emu doesn't read both controller ports at the same time. I tried mapping controller 1 to left thumbstick and controller 2 to right thumb stick, but no go. Bummer because this would have been ideal.

Shame because this looks like fun. :_(

Unplayable for me.

Don't have the cart (or 2 decently working 5200 sticks if I did).

PC emulation is horrible via keyboard alone. Using keyboard to move and mouse to fire would have worked ok, but I can't seem to map the mouse as a joystick in Atari800win 4.0 beta 7.

The xbox emu doesn't read both controller ports at the same time. I tried mapping controller 1 to left thumbstick and controller 2 to right thumb stick, but no go. Bummer because this would have been ideal.

Shame because this looks like fun. :_(

shame you're missing probably what's the best 5200 game....maybe u can play it in the future.

Let's get playing.

i'm in i have the 5200 system but i don't have the space dungeon game so i'll do it through my 5200enu but i am in so let the game begin

18,825. I was on level four to get this piddly score. I forgot how easy it is to die.

I'm playing on Atari800win emulation, which seems pretty spot-on to how it feels on the real system. I use my logitech PSX-style pad for movement (Joystick1) and my right hand presses the arrow keys for firing (Joystick2 assignment in options). It works as well as your brain & hand/eye coordination allows. :) I dont' have the 5200 hooked up right now.

All fans of the Red Green show know that Duct Tape solves all the world's problems. I made a joystick coupler years ago out of cardboard and duct tape. It works fairly well; I never found one of the official plastic ones. Sometimes one of the 5200 sticks pops out of the non-ridgid cardboard slots though. I need to craft one out of solid wood one of these days.

Edited by Cafeman

I haven't played this game in a very long ttime - probably years. On the other hand, I do have the dual-stick holder, and it used to be my favorite 5200 game, so I logged untold hours practicing back in the early 80's.

Tonight, I played the game ONCE. Only once. My score? 339,885. And I was ONE ROOM away from the Collect Bonus, had covered every room in the level, and had every single treasure on board! And I died, 115 points from an extra life!! The AGONY!

I took 9 pictures, trying to get a good shot of the screen. None of the pictures came out very well, but I've attached the one that shows the score the best.

Sorry phuzaxeman, but I felt the need to raise the bar a little!

post-1104-1191564535_thumb.jpg

I haven't played this game in a very long ttime - probably years. On the other hand, I do have the dual-stick holder, and it used to be my favorite 5200 game, so I logged untold hours practicing back in the early 80's.

Tonight, I played the game ONCE. Only once. My score? 339,885. And I was ONE ROOM away from the Collect Bonus, had covered every room in the level, and had every single treasure on board! And I died, 115 points from an extra life!! The AGONY!

I took 9 pictures, trying to get a good shot of the screen. None of the pictures came out very well, but I've attached the one that shows the score the best.

no apolgies needed. we're not worthy!

Dude, WTF? Robotron is fun but hard as clay for a newbie. I struggle to get to screen 7... 1 try though? Did you compete back in the day?

Yep - 1 try. I had plenty of time to kill, though - I was running a System Recovery CD on an HP Pavilion desktop PC. The docs with the recovery CD said the process could take up to 5 hours, and I was shocked to find that was pretty much on the money! Every so often I'd pause the game and glance over to see if the PC was finished the recovery process yet.

Back on-topic - You mentioned Robotron. I am the worst at Robotron. I'll bet a 4-year old, blindfolded, would be competitive with me on Robotron. As for Space Dungeon, yes, I played it a LOT back when the 5200 was current. My favorite 5200 game is probably a toss-up between SD and Star Raiders, in fact. I love games that can put me 'in the zone' - vibrant flashing colors, fast-moving action, mainly hand-eye coordination. My all-time favorite videogame is probably Defender. Space Dungeon hits my buttons just right. And to make things interesting, while playing you need to decide whether to hit the 'Collect Bonus' as soon as you can, or try to clear the level for the bonus. Do you try to collect every single treasure before exiting the level? Do you keep nailing bad guys for points, or keep moving?

Tips that may be obvious, but maybe not -

* I always try to leave every room empty. I hate exiting a room that still has bad guys in it.

* I always try to clear every room in a level - it's an extra 10k points when you exit the level if you do it.

* Obviously try to collect all treasures before exiting.

* When you travel through a doorway into another room, the doorway you passed through turns solid and impenetrable for a few seconds. If you leave the new room while that doorway is solid (example, slide over a little and return to the first room), the doorway will remain solid forever. It's possible to seal yourself in a room that way. It's possible to seal off the 'Collect Bonus' room that way too. It's unlikely either of those scenarios will happen unless you're trying to do it, but it's something to be aware of.

I'm confident I'd have gotten to much higher levels, with a much lower score, if I'd played with a different strategy. If you always try to clear every room of all enemies before exiting, your score will naturally increase due to the additional carnage you're forced to dish out.

• 5 months later...