IGNORED

SAVE MARY 7800 DUMPED!

Shawn

Scientific evidence that no good deed goes unpunished.

It's not so much that, I just question the motivation that's all. Shawn Sr. is a good guy, it just puzzled me as to why he suddenly cared about how much thanks he got for releasing the rom.

Also keep in mind that a good deed with an ulterior motive isn't really a good deed.

Tempest

No I dumped this and posted it cause I wanted everyone to have it. Not that I expected it but I was a little cheesed that the game was being DL'ed like mad without any gratitude shown. I know I say please and thank you. But like I said it has nothing to do with wanting praise and all to do with sharing so game on gamers :)

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where or who is hotlinking this thing cause I really doubt the AA brotherhood has DL'ed this thing 500 times in less than 24hrs.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

If you're doing this stuff just to get a pat on the back you should probably change your priorities, especially for a rom I've basically already got because I'll go ahead and assume this doesn't play any different.

It's not about the game being different but how it works on real hardware that is different and neat to see from the tech side of things. Not to mention SRAM chips are alot cheaper to get than SARA chips.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where or who is hotlinking this thing cause I really doubt the AA brotherhood has DL'ed this thing 500 times in less than 24hrs.

I'm sure Al can tell you. You could also remove that link and make a new one to break the hotlink.

Tempest

• 3 weeks later...
I'm confused. Is this a hack of the other version out there, and if it is who did the hacking?? Shawn you said you dumped this so was this a CGE release of the game, new prototype or what?

It's a hack of the 2600 version to use the SRAM from a 7800 cart instead of a SARA SuperChip. This was made a long time before CPU made superchip pcb's so it was one of the first ways to have SaveMary on a cart with ease of making it. I dunno exactly who programmed it but I know Video61 sold it as well as shooting arcade.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone understand how to use the power ups in Save Mary?

This 2600 Save Mary page has this:

Thankfully there are several power-ups to help you accomplish your task. Power-ups appear on the cliff sides and require that you pick them up and drop them off at the top of the canyon to activate them. These power-ups do a wide variety of things:

Hmm... I'm surprised that atariprotos.com is missing something.

A friend of mine was able to actually catch the plane!

I found where this was talked about on the StellaList about 7 years ago. Gosh, has it been that long?

http://biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/2...8/msg00080.html

Here's the excerpt:

Heh, Heh. Yes, if they [planes] hit your crane cable, or the brick you are

carrying, the plane and your brick drop right there. However, if you are

not carrying a brick, it is possible to catch the airplane. I think you

have to have the vertical setting on the crane just right, and press the

button at just the right time. If you catch the airplane and place it off

to the side, it is quite cool! I'm not going to spoil it, but needless to

say it is very nice... ;-)

So, I wonder what happens-- I do not recall, myself.

-John

Edited by Propane13

Hmm... I'm surprised that atariprotos.com is missing something.

A friend of mine was able to actually catch the plane!

I found where this was talked about on the StellaList about 7 years ago. Gosh, has it been that long?

http://biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/2...8/msg00080.html

Here's the excerpt:

Heh, Heh. Yes, if they [planes] hit your crane cable, or the brick you are

carrying, the plane and your brick drop right there. However, if you are

not carrying a brick, it is possible to catch the airplane. I think you

have to have the vertical setting on the crane just right, and press the

button at just the right time. If you catch the airplane and place it off

to the side, it is quite cool! I'm not going to spoil it, but needless to

say it is very nice... ;-)

So, I wonder what happens-- I do not recall, myself.

-John

Actually, I just never tried to catch it. Intersting. Thanks for the info!

Tempest

A 2600 version that only works on the 7800.

How is it different functionally from the 2600 version in the AA database? The first bank is nearly identical in both; the second bank seems to have three bytes more code in the "7800" cart. The third bank is similar but with some byte values changed (six consecutive occurrences of $44 become $34; four $06 become $0A; ten $F8 become $E8). The fourth bank seems to have six more bytes of code in the AA-database cart.

Basically it's a hacked version of the 2600 Save Mary to use the 7800 cart RAM instead of the 2600 Superchip RAM. The game itself is not any different.

I kind of surprised it's generated this kind of response, I've had the ROM sitting on my computer for probably 7 or 8 years. I guess I never posted it before.

Mitch

Like I said before, it's not really hacked. It's the way Superchip 2600 games were developed in the late 80s. So I really don't think Lance altered the game as much as got access to the final version in a 7800 dev package.

Edited by mos6507

Like I said before, it's not really hacked. It's the way Superchip 2600 games were developed in the late 80s. So I really don't think Lance altered the game as much as got access to the final version in a 7800 dev package.

Well the code is different on both Save Mary and Shooting Arcade for the 7800 versions compaired to the 2600 versions so something had to be done to change the way they access the memory from SRAM instead of the SARA.

• 4 months later...
  • 13 years later...