IGNORED

mos6507's Blog - Airport Extreme performance

RSS Bot

I put my daughter's Mini into her room and I didn't have a long enough ethernet cable for it so I had a case to use the draft-n wifi on the Airport Extreme. So far I'm very impressed with it. It was very easy to get the Mini connected to the router, much easier than wireless on XP. My Cingular 8125 also connects to it perfectly. I haven't tried printing yet but I could connect back to the shares I had on XP just as well as on ethernet. I'm hoping the printer somehow identifies itself through bonjour back through the router. The video files I have on my XP box stream fine over wireless. However, I just managed to finish downloading a 1080P movie and it would not stream fast enough for VLC to play it. So I'm not surprised by that but am still kind of disappointed. I don't know what the datarate is on that file but total size of it is something like 6 gigabytes. It also has issues playing locally. I think bittorrent mashed it somehow. I don't think the internet is ready to distribute 1080P. Bittorrent took like 2 weeks to get it and usenet won't retain the parts long enough. Unless you are getting an HD recording of a popular show on BT with lots of seeds, forget it. Next step is I have to try running cat 5e/6 and see if I can stream the file fast enough via gig ethernet. That should definitely work unless something is really messed up.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3918