IGNORED

Anyone Burn 3DO Games?

bretthorror

I am not sure this is emulation, but I figured I'd put it here so as to avoid any conflicts.

Does anyone know how to burn 3DO games? I have looked for a guide online and can't find one. I don't even have a 3DO, but if I could burn games and see if they were good before I bought them, I'd probably pick one up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3DO disks are not copy protected so they are easy to duplicate or to burn from a disk image. Most images are provided in .bin/.cue format so you can use your favorite burning program like Nero or Alcohol or Toast to make a CD.

Are you looking to run the games on an emulator? I haven't done 3DO emulation because I own a FZ-1 deck but I think the emulators can use the disk images without having to burn a disc. You could also just mount the .bin file with Daemon tools or something.

Lots of good common games out there for the 3DO so I would recommend looking for and picking up a cheap console when you can.

3DO disks are not copy protected so they are easy to duplicate or to burn from a disk image. Most images are provided in .bin/.cue format so you can use your favorite burning program like Nero or Alcohol or Toast to make a CD.

Are you looking to run the games on an emulator? I haven't done 3DO emulation because I own a FZ-1 deck but I think the emulators can use the disk images without having to burn a disc. You could also just mount the .bin file with Daemon tools or something.

Lots of good common games out there for the 3DO so I would recommend looking for and picking up a cheap console when you can.

Yeah, I am looking to run the games on a real 3DO. If I was to burn one, I'd just have to open Nero, select the file and hit burn then? I have never heard much about the 3DO, but I would definitely be into buying one if I could burn them easily.

Yeah very easy to burn. If you were to download an image of a 3DO game, it would either be in .iso format or more likely in two files, bin/cue. The cue file is a text file telling Nero or any burning program how exactly to burn the data (bin) file onto a CD.

http://www.emuasylum.com/index.php?page=burning

• 3 weeks later...

One thing, though, make SURE you have decent cds to burn to, otherwise the game may not work. I like either TDK or Sony brand cds for this purpose.

Yeah, all you have to do is do a straight image copy, no muss, no fuss. If you're copying from an actual game, just do a straight disc copy. The Sega CD and Neo-Geo CD systems are the exact same way, too.

Hey everybody. I've been reading up on ISO's and burning games and happened across this forum. I've tried to burn a 3DO ISO I got from the Net but it will not work. I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. I don't have Nero but I've got DeepBurner. I also downloaded and ran the Sega Cue Maker. It created the .CUE file fine but when I went to burn the CD DeepBurner didn't know what to do with it. I did try to burn it at the slowest speed, 2X, and I'm using TDK CD-R's. Anything you guys can see I'm doing wrong? Is it the ISO file? Is it DeepBurner? I did an experiment at work with Nero, their copy, and it seemed to "burn" the game ok, I didn't burn it to a CD-R it just copied it to a directory on the harddrive. I'm hesitant to do it at work again so let me know what you guys think first. Thanks. :?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

one thing to consider is that since the 3DO did not require licensing in order to produce games. I had a 3DO once and some of the games are decent like Super Street Fighter II TURBO and others that were some of the worst trash to ever escape an incineratorn. Paatank comes to mind.

Huh? The 3DO used a digital signature lockout just like the 7800.

The only difference is that we know the 7800 key (the encryption program was found twice independently in the past ten years or so), but the 3DO key is still unavailable. So no homebrews are possible on an unmodified 3DO. And I doubt that anyone cares enough to mod a 3DO for that purpose.

• 2 years later...

Revive with a question: can DiscJuggler burn 3DO games in ISO/CUE format? If so, any suggestions on the right settings to use? I've gone through four coasters so far, and would rather not make any more. I'm pretty sure my FZ-1 can handle CDRs, since it can play audio CDRs.

The CUE file says it's "MODE1/2048". Does that mean that (under the Advanced tab) I should be setting the Mode tab to "Mode 1", and the Block size to "2048"? What about the TOC format -- should that be CD-DA? And should I be doing a RAW write, with "Add post-gap to 3rd party images" turned off?

Never mind -- problem solved! I switched over to ImgBurn, and also dipped into my dwindling stock of high-quality Taiyo Yuden media (I had been using cheaper Maxells). With those two things in place, I was able to boot a CDR, but had major issues with the FMV, which made me suspect the problem was a dirty lens. I opened up the FZ-1, cleaned the lens with a little rubbing alcohol (91%) and a Q-tip, and now everything's working like a charm.

Now that the lens has been cleaned I'm able to boot the Maxells, so DiscJuggler was working fine after all, and none of my "coasters" were actually coasters. I don't think any of the settings I mentioned above were changing anything -- the 3DO uses a proprietary disc format, and the cue sheet was already setting everything up for me.

Still, I think I'll stick with ImgBurn and Taiyo Yuden from now on, since the former is a friendlier program (and freeware!) and the latter is almost certainly easier on the 3DO's lens.

Edited by thegoldenband

I haven't had problems with cheap CD-Rs personally (I am using a FZ-10 though, so maybe it's kinder to burned media). One thing I have found though is that the discs must be written at a slow speed. I typically burn mine at 4x. The only dead discs I've had have been from bad isos, burning the discs too quickly, or not setting my cue files up properly (not all the iso/cue/rom batches come with properly written .cue files, so you have to go in and adjust those manually).

I haven't had problems with cheap CD-Rs personally (I am using a FZ-10 though, so maybe it's kinder to burned media). One thing I have found though is that the discs must be written at a slow speed. I typically burn mine at 4x.

The ones I've made with ImgBurn were made at 4x, and those have all worked fine. The ones made with DiscJuggler were actually at 2x, since the free version forces you to burn at the slowest speed your burner will support! :D

Edited by thegoldenband