IGNORED

Planet Bob - Playing Wizard's Crown (A8)

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Maybe it's time to explain the plan I have for "Playing..." some. The basic idea is simply to play all interesting looking games that got reviewed in the German "Happy Computer" and "Power Play" mags, starting from HC issue 11/86... :-o

So, after Uninvited, the next interesting game would've been Alleykat. I already beat it not too long ago already, and also already wrote an article about it in the Graftgold series.

I'll be "Playing..." another vertical/shmup soon though, maybe "Terra Cresta" :)

Back to the main attraction, Wizard's Crown:

wizardscrown.gif

Wizard's Crown should be an interesting experience, because it evolved SSI's tactical combat system from "Six-Gun Shootout" a little further, which, after only a few more refinements, should become the gameplay heart of SSI's gold box games :)

I actually started playing it yesterday. I had everything prepared, like a 16 page printout of the manual and also printouts of all maps (Nobody did expect me drawing a map, no? :ponder:)

Still, it was kinda a false start, since I tried on the C64. Unfortunately though, this version would draw both friend or foe warriors white colored during the combat scenes. I immediately felt that this sucked, and so after some research I decided to start over with the A8 version.

Today I simply went with the default party, since after all the manual reading I was eager to get into some action quick. This party is pretty good, so far I encountered no problems my guys couldn't handle.

Using the "Quick" combat mostly, I only played two encounters "live", where I had a feeling that they were kinda "skripted". My tries on the C64 version yesterday showed that the "Quick" option does the job good enough on the regular random encounters. (And 15 seconds instead of half an hour also make a difference if you want to make some progress in the game ;))

So I was mainly exploring the starting city and what felt like a starter dungeon, the "Rusty Nail" tavern. For tomorrow I hope to start into some more thrilling adventures! :D

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3931