IGNORED

Easy way to get non- protected programs from disks to PC

Allan

Do you mean from an 8-bit computer, using a disk? I would say terminal from the 8bit to the PC and send them over a serial null cable. That would mean you'd have to have an sio2pc cable. Off the top of my head that's it. Something else that comes in my head easily is modem-modem talking between the two. This would mean you'd have to have a modem on both machines and a phone wire. Is this what you meant?

Nathan

Do you mean from an 8-bit computer, using a disk? I would say terminal from the 8bit to the PC and send them over a serial null cable. That would mean you'd have to have an sio2pc cable. Off the top of my head that's it. Something else that comes in my head easily is modem-modem talking between the two. This would mean you'd have to have a modem on both machines and a phone wire. Is this what you meant?

Nathan

Well, from a 1050 drive.

That's doesn't sound easy. I do have a SIO2PC cable. But that only works with booting the 8-bit from the PC.

Allan

Well, from a 1050 drive.

That's doesn't sound easy. I do have a SIO2PC cable. But that only works with booting the 8-bit from the PC.

Allan

Hook up both the 1050 and the SIO2PC to your Atari computer. Mount a blank ATR file in APE and copy from the disk in the 1050 to the ATR file. Once you have the ATR file you can just use that via SIO2PC or in an emulator, or there are utilities you could use to extract files from the ATR file if you want to have individual files on the PC side.

Edited by JR>

Do you have a terminal program for your 8bit? Try using a term prog on the 8bit and hyperterm on the pc, tell them both to use the serial port (with a null modem cable or adapter). Got one of those?

No plus I don't have a null modem cable. Thanks for the input. I had thought there was a program that uses the SIO2PC but I forget where I saw/read it.

Allan

Well, from a 1050 drive.

Allan

Hook up both the 1050 and the SIO2PC to your Atari computer. Mount a blank ATR file in APE and copy from the disk in the 1050 to the ATR file. Once you have the ATR file you can just use that via SIO2PC or in an emulator, or there are utilities you could use to extract files from the ATR file if you want to have individual files on the PC side.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Allan

Well, from a 1050 drive.

Allan

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Allan

I actually make ATR files on an Amiga with A1020 5.25" drive hooked up!! :)

But yeah SIO2PC works with a PC, never did the direct to drive option though.

The Amiga drive reads Atari disks?

Before I made my first APE interface, I did it this (painful) way on a file of about 30 sectors:

1. Write BASIC program to read file, and display a hex dump in Graphics 1 with a custom character set on real Atari.

2. Hook Atari RF output into PC capture card. Grab frame from each hex dump screen from (1).

3. Use Photoshop to despeckle and touch up frame grab BMPs.

4. Use OCR software to create .TXT file from sequence of BMPs.

5. Manually correct OCR errors (there were many, hence the need to create the custom character set).

6. Run program under Atari800Win+ to read hex dump files from (4), and recreate binary file.

The Amiga drive reads Atari disks?

Before I made my first APE interface, I did it this (painful) way on a file of about 30 sectors:

1. Write BASIC program to read file, and display a hex dump in Graphics 1 with a custom character set on real Atari.

2. Hook Atari RF output into PC capture card. Grab frame from each hex dump screen from (1).

3. Use Photoshop to despeckle and touch up frame grab BMPs.

4. Use OCR software to create .TXT file from sequence of BMPs.

5. Manually correct OCR errors (there were many, hence the need to create the custom character set).

6. Run program under Atari800Win+ to read hex dump files from (4), and recreate binary file.

Wow - that's what I call dedication. A modern form of a magazine type in :)

Stephen Anderson