IGNORED

Power Supply and Manual for ICD Multi I/O 256

joeventura

Anyone know the specs for th ePowersupply for the Multi I/O

Just bought one off Ebay with no manual and no power supply and would like to test it out.

Thanks also for a link to the manual

Any 9 VAC Atari supply will work, like those from a 1050 or 800.

Theres an HTML'ized version of the manual here:

http://www.dropmail.com/MIO/Index.shtml

Anyone know the specs for th ePowersupply for the Multi I/O

Just bought one off Ebay with no manual and no power supply and would like to test it out.

Thanks also for a link to the manual

Any 9 VAC Atari supply will work, like those from a 1050 or 800.

Theres an HTML'ized version of the manual here:

http://www.dropmail.com/MIO/Index.shtml

Mucho Gracias!!

Also any idea where to get a 130XE adapter card for the MIO?

Thanks

Mucho Gracias!!

Also any idea where to get a 130XE adapter card for the MIO?

Thanks

Here is a PDF of the MIO manual. Also, I got 2 of the XE adapters with the 2 MIO's I got in those Atari collections. I can sell you one if you can't get a new one from MetalGuy66. Let me know.

ICD_Multi_IO_Board_Manual__Rev_5_20_1987_.pdf

Edited by Guitarman

Joe, one thing I'd reccomend on an original MIO is to take it apart and remove the two "side plates" and leave them off. This is to prevent heat from building up inside the unit.

ICD MIOs have very mediocre quality PCBs (to be nice about it).. And the power input circuit is under-designed, to put it mildly. MIOs like to fry rectifier diodes and regulators. When this happens, it often delaminates the traces from the board, making for a very ugly repair...The 1 meg MIOs are especially bad about this due to the increased power and heat dissipation requirements imposed by all the extra ram SIPPs..

Yours is only 256k, but I would still replace the diodes with larger ones. I've seen plenty of 256k MIOs burn up this way.

I would also replace the three electrolytic caps if they havent been replaced (20 year old E-caps like to leak, burst, short internally. etc.)

As long as you dont try to upgrade it to 1 meg, the 5v regulator should be ok, but make sure its got good contact with the heatsink plate (make sure the screw is nice & tight, and there is heat-transfer grease on the mating surface). If you go to one meg, using SIPPs, you may want to consider using a higher current-capacity regulator.

If you don't do ANYTHING else, I'd at least remove the side-plates so the heat can escape.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Now I have to find a SCSI drive that will work with it!

The only SCSI drive that will work with it directly is a seagate ST-225N or Rodime RO650/652

Good luck finding one at a reasonable price.

If you can find an adaptec 4000a controler board (SCSI-MFM bridge), you can use any old MFM drive with it..

Hi Joe-

There are several threads here about the MIO. You might find it useful to "wade through" those threads, especially the "NEW MIO production run".

-Larry

Hi Joe-

There are several threads here about the MIO. You might find it useful to "wade through" those threads, especially the "NEW MIO production run".

-Larry

Thanks I would have loved to get in on the MIO production run but I didn't

Seems like it is taking a while to get finished units, hopefully its worth the wait

Hi Joe-

-Larry

Thanks I would have loved to get in on the MIO production run but I didn't

Seems like it is taking a while to get finished units, hopefully its worth the wait

Yeah that would be my fault. Unfortunately, at the time that I took on the MIO project, I had nothing but free time. Since then, some major changes have occured in my life. I am attempting now to get back to a point where I can devote a large portion of my time to assembly and testing of the remaining units.

The only SCSI drive that will work with it directly is a seagate ST-225N or Rodime RO650/652

If you can find an adaptec 4000a controler board (SCSI-MFM bridge), you can use any old MFM drive with it..

Are you saying that because you know it to be fact or because the manuals lists those?

COuld it possible run with an ST251N (40mb version of the ST225n?)

Any idea what the limiting factor is?

Are you saying that because you know it to be fact or because the manuals lists those?

I know exactly what the limiting factor is. And it is this:

The MIO is not a 100% implementation of the SCSI standard. It most certainly does not work with any of the other ST-xxx series from Seagate. (BELIEVE ME I've tried) and the reason it does work with the ST-225N is the same reason it works with the SCSI-MFM bridges. Because these devices are actually SCSI/SASE compliant, and not full SCSI compliant. They were made during a transitionary period when it was difficult to know where the standard was going, so as a result, they are a bit different in protocol from the later full implementations of SCSI-I and SCSI-II.

The MIO is also limited to 256byte sector size. ALot of people think that this(support for 256byte sectors) is the actual limitation on which drives can and cannot be used, but I assure you it isn't. I have successfully formatted MANY drives to 256byte sector size using my CSS blackbox, and various controllers on AMIGA machines- and none of them work correctly on the MIO.

I have a SCSI analyzer made by HP/Agilent that lets me monitor scsi bus signals, reverse disassemble actual commands, and state/timing of every signal on the SCSI bus- all in realtime, and go back and review captured data.

Warerat and I are planning on making a new ROM revision for the MIO that will increase drive compatibility as much as possible, but we have alot of R&D left to do, and as I said, my life has been very busy lateley (as has his)..

What would REALLY help is if I could get source code for the BLACK BOX ROM and compare the code to that of the MIO.. But I doubt Bob Puff would see things our way on this issue.. heh..

So.. Until the rom is released, you are limited to the choices I outlined above.. And that's a pretty sure thing.. I'd stake 2 years of solid R&D on it..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I know exactly what the limiting factor is. And it is this:

The MIO is not a 100% implementation of the SCSI standard. It most certainly does not work with any of the other ST-xxx series from Seagate. (BELIEVE ME I've tried) and the reason it does work with the ST-225N is the same reason it works with the SCSI-MFM bridges. Because these devices are actually SCSI/SASE compliant, and not full SCSI compliant. They were made during a transitionary period when it was difficult to know where the standard was going, so as a result, they are a bit different in protocol from the later full implementations of SCSI-I and SCSI-II.

The MIO is also limited to 256byte sector size. ALot of people think that this(support for 256byte sectors) is the actual limitation on which drives can and cannot be used, but I assure you it isn't. I have successfully formatted MANY drives to 256byte sector size using my CSS blackbox, and various controllers on AMIGA machines- and none of them work correctly on the MIO.

I have a SCSI analyzer made by HP/Agilent that lets me monitor scsi bus signals, reverse disassemble actual commands, and state/timing of every signal on the SCSI bus- all in realtime, and go back and review captured data.

Warerat and I are planning on making a new ROM revision for the MIO that will increase drive compatibility as much as possible, but we have alot of R&D left to do, and as I said, my life has been very busy lateley (as has his)..

What would REALLY help is if I could get source code for the BLACK BOX ROM and compare the code to that of the MIO.. But I doubt Bob Puff would see things our way on this issue.. heh..

So.. Until the rom is released, you are limited to the choices I outlined above.. And that's a pretty sure thing.. I'd stake 2 years of solid R&D on it..

Some how I knew you would have the entire story

Thanks

P.S. You da man!

I actually bought a Rodime RO652 for $29 so should be fun to see if I can get it running when it shows up

That should work just fine. Be sure it's got terminators on it, or use a bus terminator at the end of the cable.

Also, you'll need the two MIO formatting programs.

If you cant find them, I can send them to you.

I actually bought a Rodime RO652 for $29 so should be fun to see if I can get it running when it shows up

That should work just fine. Be sure it's got terminators on it, or use a bus terminator at the end of the cable.

I will surely need them as the MIO I bought came with Zero software.

I can't find them, can you send them to me?

I also sent you a PM

My kingdom for a fricking SCSI Terminator!!