IGNORED

Atari 800 memory board questions

LYNXGUY

Question 1

Is it common for the memory boards without the casing (cover) to heat up :?:

Which memory boards are best with or without casing (cover) :?:

I noticed after 8 to 10 minutes of playing games or using a DOS System that the computer acts up and screens freeze or they don't display correctly :ponder: and the memory boards in the right side of the 800 are very warm and after shutting the 800 off for 10 minutes it is fine :ponder:

Edited by L¥NXGU¥

Question 1

Is it common for the memory boards without the casing (cover) to heat up :?:

Which memory boards are best with or without casing (cover) :?:

I noticed after 8 to 10 minutes of playing games or using a DOS System that the computer acts up and screens freeze or they don't display correctly :ponder: and the memory boards in the right side of the 800 are very warm and after shutting the 800 off for 10 minutes it is fine :ponder:

The memory chips on the 400/800 are old bi-polar NMOS devices. They will produce a lot of heat. My original 800 I got back in 1984 had the plastic cases. I know towards the end of production they got rid of the cases because of heat.

Its quite possible you may have some flaky RAM chips drawing too much current from the supply rails causing power regulation problems based on what you said about the right side being hot. Try running in 16K or 32K configs to see if the same boards stay hot.

Edited by warerat

My original Atari 800 had the memory boards in the cases and if memory serves they didn't heat up as I would leave my 800 on all night as I played a chess game that took forever for the computer to make a move (I was playing it on the hardest level)

Ahh, the old Computer Chess cart?

Your regulators could be dropping out. Check the voltages when the machine quits working.

Edited by warerat

Ahh, the old Computer Chess cart?

Actually I had it on a floppy diskette

Your regulators could be dropping out. Check the voltages when the machine quits working.

Umm I am not computer savvy when it comes to the inner workings of an ATARI 8bit so how do i check the voltage ?? :dunce:

I do have memory boards with casings(covers) and I am thinking about trying them to see what happens :ponder: