Allas 1 8
Shannon 1 8
Bunsen 0 7
madbutscher 0 5
a8isa1 0 1
PressureCooker2600 0 1
Edited by Goochman

Ok,

Here's the deal.... I don't enjoy this game, in fact I hate it. So in the interest of saving us all a lot of heartache, don't beat this score... =P

post-7524-1191893259_thumb.png

Free Bonus, Poobah's Dolphin Quest Hints and Tips

1) Yes, DOLPHIN QUEST. You see, that is THE GAME. Dodging enemy mines, shooting subs & tankers, yea, thats fun and all, but mere side quests to complete at your leisure. If you miss 2 Dolphins in a row, you die, end of story, end of life. Thus all other activities are subordinate to the dolphin. The dolphin comes out at about 700 fuel and 150 fuel, I find the best place is more or less 1 inch above the torpedo counter. DON'T MISS THE DOLPHINS

2) Enemy subs. Shoot or dodge, recommend dodging when you go for dolphins or ships (since new ones don't appear till the old ones die), giving you some breathing room while they cross the screen.

2) Destroyers, friend or foe? Well yeah, they do kill enemy subs, however, the last thing you want is 3 destroyers lobbing at you while you are dolphin hunting, so keep the destroyer population down, dodge a sub appearing on the right, then go to the surface and pop the destroyer, wash, rinse, repeat

3) Chase-o-mine-thingies: Try not to shoot them. Lure them together, then 'orbit' them. when dolphin time approacheth, lure them up to the top, then swoop down for the dolphin.

4) Don't Rush: If you miss a ship, it will be back, don't try to "force" a kill if it is not 'right'. Wait till you've got the destroyers clear, the chase-o-mines lured away, and plenty of time before the next dolphin.

5) Read #1 and #4 again, they are vital. DON'T RUSH, DON'T MISS DOLPHINS!

6) marvel in the agony that is this game =P

7) Courtesy of Goochman: Don't get burned at the start of a wave! the first couple of subs move VERY fast. just avoid them until the game settles into its more leisurely pace.

Edited by poobah

Never thought this was a bad game - similar to Sky Blazer - however the slowdown is what irritated me - no reason except it appears the code wass ported from the Apple ][ versions???

Yeah, the slowdown is bad, I have to add that tip in!

It's not so much a horrible game as it is a 'missed it by that much'. The dolphin thing is way too important to survival, but its supposed to be a SUB game. Go figure.

Like they never play tested it or something.

What emulator are some of ya'll running to compete?

I don't have any Atari computer but would still like to compete.

Also, how many more weeks are left for this season.

Atari800win - google it ;)

We play a calendar year - Xmas will be the last contest which run 2 weeks each - welcome!

First score. Thank God for the Atari800Win.....I was a Commodore guy so I never had an Atari computer around. I kinda like this game.....contrary to what poobah said.

Yes...the slowdown is bad....but there are quite a few good games with slowdown. It doesn't make the game unplayable.

And to www.atarimania.com, I'm using the disk version......everyone might be using the disk version.

Tips: (most of which have been touched on)

Stay on those dolphins. Don't concentrate on anything else when there is a refill sub coming. If you lose that dolphin, you're outta luck.

Always try to lure the enemy subs into the destroyers' depth charges. Saves you some torpedoes in the long run.

post-11023-1192063377_thumb.jpg

Ok,

Here's the deal.... I don't enjoy this game, in fact I hate it. So in the interest of saving us all a lot of heartache, don't beat this score... =P

Sorry...

F.

Poobah is out of town and won't be back till Friday...no time to make up that spread! Congrats Fandal! :)