IGNORED

How do you preserve magazines?

I've only just got to the point where I'm buying old games magazines at thrifts and book exchanges. I've got some brick-and-plank book shelves that are perfect for those cardboard magazine holders. 3 bricks is exactly the right height between shelves. I've got a box for each year, starting only at 1990 so far. I hope to get some '80s magazines soon.

The ultimate in preservation is to scan them. I've only got a little USB scanner and Acrobat Writer 3 though, so it'd probably be a slow process with large files at the end. As it is, I'm supposed to be scanning an old Atari 8-bit computer book for AtariArchives.

The best way to store magazines is just like storing comics. 8x11 plastic bag and backing board in a comic book like storage box (vertical, not flat and on top of each other) but magazine size. You can get these at most comic book shops.

Allan

Allan - thanks! I was never into comic books, but it makes sense that they would have supplies that are the right size. Will stop by a shop and check it out. I also have a big supply of heavy-duty three ring binders. (They were being thrown out at work.) Bought one packet of plastic sleeves at the local Office Depot, but decided that this was way too expensive. The sleeves aren't always roomy enough anyway. Maybe there is a better, cheaper system to "hang" the mags in a binder?

• 1 month later...

PLEASE throw away any cardboard boxes you are using NOW! EVEN those magazine ones you get from stationers. Cardboard has acid which attacks the inks and the paper itself, causing yellowing and other problems.

Get down your local comic store and get some archival safe bags, and acid-free backing boards if you don't want spine roll. You can get an acid tester pen from the same store, if its a decent one.

Also remember to get acid free tape if you want to seal the magazines. Acid is the enemy of paper. If you ever get anything on paper that is truly valuable, you can ask to have the paper treated to remove the acid although this is an expensive process and only recommended if you really have something of great value.

I just went upstairs and checked out my electronic games magazines, i've had them in magazine boxes from bagsunlimited for about 7 or 8 years and I see no yellowing what so ever. Even the arcade express/hotline news letters that are on white paper so NO signs of yellowing.

Who told you cardboard has acid in it?

I never heard of that.

My wife has lots of old 5-10 year old paper work- notes and stuff in a cardboard box under our bed same thing No yellowing.

I'm assuming the ones (boxes, backings) I got from bags unlimited are acid free as well since there's been no yellowing in 7-8 years.

They are for collecters of magazines and stuff.

Even the ones I got fo tv guides must be that way cause there's no yellowing there either.

eggplant_casserole, your from england?

maybe things are differnt there?

Maybe you had some boxes not intended for collector supplies?