IGNORED

New Post Markers - Please Read

Albert

If you're seeing problems where the "New Post" icons don't seem to be working properly for you, you will need to click on the "Mark all posts as read" link on the main index (it's towards the bottom). You can also click the following link, which is the same thing:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...gin&CODE=05

Sorry for the inconvenience, Invision (makers of the forum software) introduced a spiffy bug with the latest version of the software I upgraded to an hour ago. Fortunately I waited two weeks before upgrading so a patch was already available when I realized something was amiss. But even with the patch is still requires people to use the above "Mark all posts as read" link for things to go back to normal.

..Al

If you're seeing problems where the "New Post" icons don't seem to be working properly for you, you will need to click on the "Mark all posts as read" link on the main index (it's towards the bottom). You can also click the following link, which is the same thing:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...gin&CODE=05

Sorry for the inconvenience, Invision (makers of the forum software) introduced a spiffy bug with the latest version of the software I upgraded to an hour ago. Fortunately I waited two weeks before upgrading so a patch was already available when I realized something was amiss. But even with the patch is still requires people to use the above "Mark all posts as read" link for things to go back to normal.

..Al

Al... I was hoping this would change the way I see everyones posts in a thread, but I guess that is not it.

Right now all I see in each thread is the 1st post and links to the other posts below... anyway I can change it to the old view? I rather scroll down than have to wait for each link to load.

Right now all I see in each thread is the 1st post and links to the other posts below... anyway I can change it to the old view? I rather scroll down than have to wait for each link to load.

Yes, when viewing a thread, click on the orange "Options" button and then select, "Switch to Standard View". This will fix the problem.

Take care,

..Al

Al, I'm still having trouble even after clicking "Mark all posts as read."

Now, whenever I log back into the site, all of the threads that had activity since the last time I clicked "Mark all posts..." show up as new, even the ones I read.

Will I need to get in the habit of clicking "Mark all posts..." before I log out each time?

Al, I'm still having trouble even after clicking "Mark all posts as read."

Now, whenever I log back into the site, all of the threads that had activity since the last time I clicked "Mark all posts..." show up as new, even the ones I read.

Will I need to get in the habit of clicking "Mark all posts..." before I log out each time?

Can you try deleting your cookies? You can do this by clicking the "Delete cookies set by this board" link on the forum index:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/

Thanks,

..Al

Can you try deleting your cookies? You can do this by clicking the "Delete cookies set by this board" link on the forum index:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/

I've hit both links here, marking all messages as read and deleting the cookies, but same thing happens to me. Threads continue to show up as unread even when they're up do date. Dunno.

I deleted my cookies the other day, but still had the same problem. I just deleted my AtariAge cookies again tonight and it looks like the problem might be fixed now. My read topics are now staying marked as read.

Do they stay read after you log out and log back in? Everything looks normal as I read through the forum, but if I log out and log back in, any thread that had activity since my last "Mark all posts..." reverts back to unread.

Do they stay read after you log out and log back in? Everything looks normal as I read through the forum, but if I log out and log back in, any thread that had activity since my last "Mark all posts..." reverts back to unread.

I just logged out and logged back in and everything is still fine.

Well, a new version of the forum software was released today that fixes several bugs, including this issue. Now, I had already patched this problem, which was supposed to have fixed it (and did for me), but not sure if they made further changes beyond that. At any rate, I will be applying the upgrade later today or tomorrow and we'll see if that makes a difference.

..Al

I just upgraded the forum to a new version that was just released today. I looked at all the code changes (which I have to do every time I upgrade to merge in the modifications i have done) and there are additional changes to the new post markers that I did not have. I don't know if it'll fix the issue, but Invision has been running this version of the forum on their corporate site for a week.

..Al

Mine are still broke, even after deleting cookies. It's the same story as before; the site seems to keep track of read threads while I'm logged in, but sometimes after a while, and definitely after I log out and log back in, everything back to the last time I clicked "Mark all threads as read" appears as unread again.

Mine are still broke, even after deleting cookies. It's the same story as before; the site seems to keep track of read threads while I'm logged in, but sometimes after a while, and definitely after I log out and log back in, everything back to the last time I clicked "Mark all threads as read" appears as unread again.

Other forum admins are experiencing this also and a new bug has been filed on the Invision site:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...g_title_id=7654

I just added your message to the end of that bug report. It's obviously only affecting a small number of people now, but it really chaff's my ass that they can't get something so fundamentally important about a forum to work properly for everyone..

..Al

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any post that has been viewed since I viewed it last is marked as having a new post, even with the cookie hit...

I hope this helps.

Thanks, I need to check to see if there's been any activity in the last month by Invision on this front. It's obvious there are still problems with the way the New Post markers work.

..Al

It looks like Invision has "fixed" the problem by reverting a whole bunch of changes they made to two previous versions of the forum software. They are presently testing a new version of the forum software on their company forums, and hopefully they will release it soon. Once they do, I will upgrade the AtariAge Forums and hopefully this issue will go away for good.

..Al

Cool. Sure will be nice to be able to trust the post markers again.

The big problem I have is that when I go from one machine to another, threads I've read on one machine don't show up as read on another. Very aggravating as I am often jumping between multiple machines during the day.

..Al