IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Week #3 - Defender

NOTE: THIS WEEKS GAME HAS ENDED!

DEFENDER

post-14567-1195019268.jpg

Game Info

Defender puts players in charge of a ship sent to protect mankind from wave after wave of attacking alien forces. Armed with "smart bombs", and the ability to use hyperspace to move quickly around the planet, the player ship must fight against Bombers, Pods, Swarmers, Baiters, and Landers - that can capture the humanoids and transform them into deadly and relentless Mutants. Fail to save the humanoids from freefall or Mutant transformation, and the planet is destroyed.

-This game was chosen by: theking21083 (ME)

-Skill Level: N/A

Challenge

This week I am trying something new. I am putting 5 of my points up for the taking. If somebody can top my score in Defender then they will receive 5 of my points and I will lose them. But if nobody can beat me then I will receive an additional 5 points. Also any person that wants to bet on the outcome of the challenge can put up 1-3 points on me or against me winning. If you should win the bet then you will earn those additional points, if you lose the bet then you will lose those points. If you want to make a bet then just post how many points you want to bet, and if you are betting with or against me. You can only make a bet until Friday @ 11:59 PM Eastern, after that all new bets are off. I will not post a score until after that date so that I do not influence the betting in any way. If you have any questions about the challenge or making a bet then please ask.

Current Challenge Bets

-No more challenge bets can be made-

PressureCooker2600-2 Points against me

HSC Info

-Post your scores in this thread and every couple of days I will update the leaderboard.

-The cutoff for posting scores will be the following Wednesday at 2:00 A.M. Eastern.

-Use the same skill level as posted so that all the scores will be acurate.

-Please read the Rules and Regulations thread for a thoural description of the HSC rules.

Current High Scores

1st - duncantoml (9,001,700)

1st - theking21083 (5,003,900)

2nd - chuckwalla (311,700)

3rd - joeybastard (82,050)

4th - Ikrananka (76,950)

5th - pressureCooker2600 (63,050)

6th - Blackjack (13,850)

Leader Board

1st-duncantoml-
22 points

2nd-Blackjack-
20 points

3rd-chuckwalla-
17 points

4th-theking21083-
14 points

4th-joeybastard-
14 points

5th-Albert-
9 points

5th-jetset-
9 points

6th-Ikrananka-
8 points

7th-purenergy-
6 points

8th-PressureCooker2600-
5 points

9th-Mister VCS-
4 points

10th-edweird13-
1 point

10th-ScottHuggins-
1 point

10th-Artlover-
1 point

Edited by theking21083

This game also rolls at a million. I'm assuming that you are going to top this one out like Squish'em Sam?

I sure am as far as the leaderboard goes but for the Defender Challenge it will keep on going and going and going. The score for any game will top out when it rolls but you can always keep on going just to show off. The reason that I top off the score when it rolls is so that people don't feel like they have to run a marathon just to get 1st place.

Edited by theking21083

I'm having to resort to using emulation so that I can get more play time (during lunch at work). Don't like it but that's the way it is.

So, I setup MESS and BlueMSX and my Atari 2600 joystick => Stelladaptor => USB. Unfortunately this eliminated BlueMSX as I could not get it to recognise the joystick despite claims that it detects all USB joysticks. MESS detects the joystick and the video was okay for Squish'Em Sam. However, in Defender I cannot get anything to show up in the scanner and so never know where the enemy are. This must be down to the MESS video settings (if I fire up Defender in BlueMSX then the scanner works fine). Can someone please suggest some good video settings in MESS for the ColecoVision?

Anyway, might as well post my low score so far of 13,700 to at least get up on the scoreboard.

post-5757-1195072737_thumb.png

Edited by Ikrananka

Got 30 mins on my CV tonight. Managed to get up to 42,200. Is there any way to freeze the Game Over screen for taking a picture - it vanishes quickly.

Also, any tips on gameplay welcome, e.g. tactics with the Pods (blue stars) that when hit change into the Swarmers (a bunch of fast little red saucers) - these tend to be my biggest problem, or when to use the smart bombs and when to conserve them.

Edited by Ikrananka

No you cannot pause the game over screen so you have to be at the ready to take a pic. I usually don't shoot the ships that change into the red ships until last. If their are a bunch of red ships surrounding me then use a smart bomb to kill them or press 0 to warp to a different part of the screen.

So far only PressureCooker2600 is the only person who has made a bet on this game. If anybody else wants to bet some points you only have until friday at 11:59 PM Eastern. After that I am going to start posting my scores.

Edited by theking21083

No you cannot pause the game over screen so you have to be at the ready to take a pic. I usually don't shoot the ships that change into the red ships until last. If their are a bunch of red ships surrounding me then use a smart bomb to kill them or press 0 to warp to a different part of the screen.

Thanks for the tips. I read the instructions last night and had forgotten about being able to use warp. I've never been good at Defender (mainly through lack of trying) so here's my chance to force myself to practice :)

It didn't seem too hard getting to 42,200 but then on my subsequent games I just couldn't get near it again. I certainly need to concentrate harder - so many things on screen can kill you.

Ugggghhhh... I just discovered my CV is screwed up. I always leave the Roller Controller hooked up and usually plug a super action stick into that. Defender won't allow that though. It has to be controller right into the CV. I did this only to discover that my CV registers the joystick held in the down position automatically. I tried various controllers and it's all the same. It doesn't happen when I use a stick through the roller. I never play CV Defender since I got Midway Arcade Treasures a while ago so I didn't know this was a problem until last night. I guess I'm playing this one emulated to compete this week.

Sorry to hear about your Colecovision joeybastard, mine has a bad cable and the picture is fuzzy but still playable. I got in a game of Defender yesterday, but I will wait until Saturday to post my first score. if anybody wants to place some bets then they have until then to do so.

Edited by theking21083

Ugggghhhh... I just discovered my CV is screwed up. I always leave the Roller Controller hooked up and usually plug a super action stick into that. Defender won't allow that though. It has to be controller right into the CV. I did this only to discover that my CV registers the joystick held in the down position automatically. I tried various controllers and it's all the same. It doesn't happen when I use a stick through the roller. I never play CV Defender since I got Midway Arcade Treasures a while ago so I didn't know this was a problem until last night. I guess I'm playing this one emulated to compete this week.

I have the same set up.

When I use the super action controller, it uses a bomb with each pull of the trigger untill they are gone, then it will fire. But if I use a standard controller, it works fine going thru the Roller controller.

If I remove the Roller Controller, I also have problems.