IGNORED

Polycounter Reset on Pokey

analmux

The thing is emkay has made some excellent music and can do nice work because of what he has learned through his experimentation, however, more often than I'd like he experiments with combined tones/distortions/counterpointed-convergences looking for an electronic harmonic that will produce a false tone. The problem is all of the remaining noise and completely clashing waves often pierce your ears to the point of actual pain. What's worse is after listening to it, you can sometimes no longer hear when naturally occurring tuning drift has happened with instruments a live band is using. The temperature and humidity affecting each instrument to a different degree. They can be a few cents flat or sharp and sound like an off timber calypso nightmare and you wouldn't know it. As he gets ready to post these things it should come with a warning when it's going to be one of those experiments. Ear advisory- your sense of tonality and timber may be destroyed for a number of hours- listen at your own risk!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:54 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

why? why? why?,    it's considered and original work because it's so detuned/out of tune it becomes unrecognizable.

This is a problem he has a lot of times and I have tried to explain it to him. His bass line and melody are in different keys and hence clash like a mothaf*&$%. It can be fixed by transposing the melody patterns to the same key as the bass line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivop said:

This is a problem he has a lot of times and I have tried to explain it to him. His bass line and melody are in different keys and hence clash like a mothaf*&$%. It can be fixed by transposing the melody patterns to the same key as the bass line.

There is a musically rule : Noise has no frequency ;) , There is also that tiny physically thingy that all notes, played by POKEY are somehow in tune, at all channels, because they share the same base frequency ;)

But there is also the problem with those dangerous cellar stairs in the dark. If Stairs have a different height, you could easily break your bones by missing the next step.

If the Stairs have their fixed height, it is not a problem , if the first step is a little higher or a little lower.  

For music the step width is more important than the recognized frequency.

Or, how about an explanation, why my "Out Of Tune" Test is recognized original? Which includes also that the KEY of a Song is there. 

And why does the recognition not hit the "Tune" , if things were tuned as you want to have ?

I'm curious now.

2 hours ago, emkay said:

For music the step width is more important than the recognized frequency.

True. That's why I'm have been considering creating just intonation frequency tables i.e. perfect fifths for the key in which we are. For some keys they might be better than the well-tempered tuning everybody always uses.

Or, how about an explanation, why my "Out Of Tune" Test is recognized original? Which includes also that the KEY of a Song is there. 

And why does the recognition not hit the "Tune" , if things were tuned as you want to have ?

I'm curious now.

I'm curious, too. Likely the YouTube song recognition algorithm works on frequency deltas to determine a tune and not exact frequencies. Or it uses either a low-pass filter to just listen to the bass, or a high-pass filter to ignore the bass and listen to the rest. Or a combination of both. Really, don't know how their algorithm works. But fact is, sometimes your bass, chords and melody are not in the same key and this is an example of that.

Edit: for others, with recognized original he means it is recognized as the original tune it is playing, not as an original work, as in own composition, or something like that.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, ivop said:

True. That's why I'm have been considering creating just intonation frequency tables i.e. perfect fifths for the key in which we are. For some keys they might be better than the well-tempered tuning everybody always uses.

I'm curious, too. Likely the YouTube song recognition algorithm works on frequency deltas to determine a tune and not exact frequencies. Or it uses either a low-pass filter to just listen to the bass, or a high-pass filter to ignore the bass and listen to the rest. Or a combination of both. Really, don't know how their algorithm works. But fact is, sometimes your bass, chords and melody are not in the same key and this is an example of that.

Not a real miracle. "My" setting offers 100% correct replay on the main voice, like it or not. 

The bass tones were played not to interfere the main voice, just attend it in a passive way. 

Well, the noise channel isn't "optimized"  ;)

If you put the bass as usual in POKEY tunes, they interfere in the main voice. It might sound in tune, but it destroys the melodic part, resulting in a musically chaos, people seem to prefer to some "sour" tuning. But it is in no way that bad as you guys always try to inject ;)

Edit: for others, with recognized original he means it is recognized as the original tune it is playing, not as an original work, as in own composition, or something like that.

Youtube is clever enough to check the "KEY" of a Song. It is not enough to put some notes in the correct order (well, it was before) . 

Or in other words: What you seem to find hurting and horrible, is less hurting and horrible to others , if my interpretation is played. 

POKEY is POKEY. If you accept a little sour sounding, it is working fine on the musically part. It's better than to have some weird noise playing somehow in tune, ending up in a nowhere place, sounding like a cat is dying , but in tune. 

Edited by emkay