Rhindle The Red

The Debate For Our Age  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you choose?

• Cinematic Titanic
    • The Film Crew
    • MST3K.com
    • Rifftrax
    • All (or at least most) of 'em. The more the merrier!
    • None. It's real MST3K or nothing!
    • Huh? What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Okay, really just for the MST3K fans out there.

For those of you not in the know, the legacy of classic TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000 has gotten very interesting of late.

First, Mike Nelson started doing funny commentaries for DVD releases from Legend Films (like the one I worked on, Plan 9 From Outer Space).

Then, he teamed up with Legend to create Rifftrax, a web site where you could download commentaries for commercially released DVDs like Road House. Eventually other MST3K alums like Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett joined him, making the audio tracks quite MST3K-like. (www.rifftrax.com)

Next, Mike, Kevin and Bill took their "Film Crew" project (that had mainly provided introductions to movies and DVD) and created a set of DVDs that even featured a sort of plot - very MST3K, indeed. (www.thefilmcrew.com)

Then, the double whammy:

It is announced that MST3K.com was going back into the hands of Jim Mallon and Best Brains and will feature new animations featuring the Bots (but with new voices - except for Jim returning to voice Gypsy).

Then, MST3K creator and original host Joel Hodgeson announced his new project Cinematic Titanic, a riffing venture in which he is joined by original cast members/writers Trace Beaulieu and Josh (J. Elvis) Weinstein, as well as Frank (TV's Frank) Conniff) and Mary Jo (Mrs. Forrester) Pehl. (www.cinematictitanic.com)

Whew! That's a lot of product without an honest-to-goodness new episode in sight!

So, whaddya think, sirs?

(BTW, I listed the Film Crew and Rifftrax seperately because they are very different product lines.)

Mystery Science theater happened in a time when I was thousands of miles away and having to do a job I was not crazy about. But I was stuck for a year.. and then I saw this show and saw the main character was in the same boat. I then wondered what it would take to make robot friends, but oh well....

... If there was ever a chance to pull together the original crew, I would be there, but otherwise, I support about anything that debunks movies, including some of the "abridged" series snoofing a lot of anime on YouTube. The more the merrier!!

I liked MST3K with Joel Hodgeson as the main character and Trace Beaulieu as Crow T. Robot/Dr. Clayton Forrester and Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo and Mike Nelson around the edges. I did not like it when Joel Hodgeson and Trace Beaulieu left the show. I liked Mike Nelson's peripheral characters, but he sucked as the main guy.

If you had MST3K with Joel Hodgeson and Trace Beaulieu as Crow/Forrester, I'd vote for that one. I did not like MST3K with Mike Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl.

Crow T. Robot was my favorite character and he wasn't as good after Trace Beaulieu left the show. Kind of how Kermit the Frog wasn't as good after Jim Henson died.

I like most of the Mike lead episodes better. They are just funnier to me and the volume of the movies/robot dialog is much better balanced. On the Joel episodes, I can always hear the riffing clearly but can barely hear the movie underneath. On Mike episodes I don't have a problem hearing either.

Edited by joeybastard

While I like some of the newer stuff (especially Mike Nelson's night of the living dead commentary), I vastly prefer the original. The robots and the insane plots just made it funny. I didn't mind mike as the main star, as his commentary is pretty biting, sarcastic, and funny, but Joel was better as the front man.

Still, 'Space Mutiny' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and it was a Mike show.

Hopefully some of the new stuff will gel and we'll get some real MST3k. The robots made it. Bring 'em back!

Edited by Lord Thag

While I like some of the newer stuff (especially Mike Nelson's night of the living dead commentary), I vastly prefer the original. The robots and the insane plots just made it funny. I didn't mind mike as the main star, as his commentary is pretty biting, sarcastic, and funny, but Joel was better as the front man.

Still, 'Space Mutiny' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and it was a Mike show.

Hopefully some of the new stuff will gel and we'll get some real MST3k. The robots made it. Bring 'em back!

Rod Stiffwell... Space Mutiny had me rolling. Manos the Hands of Fate had to be the greatest. Original MST3K for me. Didn't care for it when it was on the

sci-fi channel.

On the Joel episodes, I can always hear the riffing clearly but can barely hear the movie underneath. On Mike episodes I don't have a problem hearing either.

See, I have the opposite impression. It always appeareed to me tha Mike was mumbling through his stuff, whereas I thought thwe colvume was perfect on the JOel eps.

I always liked the Joel/Trace/Kevin trifecta more, tho my favorite ep is an early MIke ep -- "Danger: Death Ray" (Ba ba da da da daaaaa). Tho a close second is Santa Conqers the Martians (Which I am happy to say that I own an un msted copy of), and the Hersechell Gordon Lewis classic, "Monster -a-go-go"

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, Elvira was the true innovator, and will always be the best at this sort of thing.
First, Elvira did a very different thing, introducing and interrupting the movies, but not actually interacting with them. Also, she served specifically as a host, with very little in the way of characters, stories, etc.

Second, she was hardly the first "macabre" movie host and copped much of her schtick from Vampira.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Elvira. She's a lot of fun. But it's really apples and oranges comparing her to MST3K.

Second, she was hardly the first "macabre" movie host and copped much of her schtick from Vampira.

Let's also not forget that Vampira sued (unsuccessfully) Elvira for her act. And there are local horror hosts that have been around longer / earlier than Elvira. Chicago's Svengoolie and Screaming Yellow Theater for one.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...