IGNORED

Boulder Dash® on YouTube

IIRC, in the 3rd intermission Rockford died right away when coming out of the exit in the PAL version of the original.

I believe it had something to do with the difference in speed between the PAL and NTSC version.

Can't remember that. Maybe only in the original Atari version? Or only on certain, higher levels?

Very nice!

Andrew, I always wondered: what does the few seconds of 'fog' mean in the original version?

I'm talking about the little stripes that appear in the empty spaces after you've picked up a few diamonds.

8)

Your fog is my extra life. Looks MUCH better in real life than indicated in the video above. The 'fog' is about 10x quicker in movement so appears as a general snow-type effect.

Cheers

A

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased to announce that in recent conversations with First Star Software, Inc. they have indicated their willingness to work with me towards a Christmas 2008 release of the original Boulder Dash® on the Atari 2600. Such release subject to my over coming a few remaining programming challenges.

I'm pleased to announce that in recent conversations with First Star Software, Inc. they have indicated their willingness to work with me towards a Christmas 2008 release of the original Boulder Dash® on the Atari 2600. Such release subject to my over coming a few remaining programming challenges.

:lust:

What hardware platform do you have lined up? Would my 4A50 cart boards be good (whether configured as 4A50 or 3E)?

:thumbsup: Excellent news! I'm delighted to have been proved completely wrong in my skepticism and curmudgeonliness regarding First Star. :) I'm sure Andrew will persevere.

Edited by Nathan Strum

What hardware platform do you have lined up? Would my 4A50 cart boards be good (whether configured as 4A50 or 3E)?

Currently 3E, looking for the best price on any platform that would be suitable. I'd prefer to move to 4A50 before Christmas, but that's not a certainty as 3E is performing OK. Depends on how much your 4A50 boards would cost in quantity, of (say) 250. PM me.

Andrew, that is SO excellent!! Nice work! I can't wait to buy and play this. Great work--keep it up! :)

This is AWESOME news! Hats off to you for programming this title and First Star for giving you the green light! I never thought this would happen but now I really can't wait for Christmas this year!

All copies are accounted for, sold out, not available anymore. Too bad, so sad. Looks like you're out of luck, it's already a "collectable".

Cheers

A

I'd earlier posted a video of "slowest level" which is #13

The PAL version is much quicker (it has more available processing time), but there have also been speed improvements, particularly in the processing of the amoeba and the speed of the butterfly calculations. You may like to compare the game-speeds of these two videos...

#1 original slow version, NTSC. I said I probably couldn't get this much faster...

#2 updated quicker version, PAL, with correct amoeba behaviour too! I probably can't get this much faster...

Cheers

A

I'd earlier posted a video of "slowest level" which is #13

The PAL version is much quicker (it has more available processing time), but there have also been speed improvements, particularly in the processing of the amoeba and the speed of the butterfly calculations. You may like to compare the game-speeds of these two videos.

PAL rules;)