IGNORED

Boulder Dash® on YouTube

Will there be a PAL and NTSC version on the same cart? If the binary won't be released, it'd be nice to have both on the one cart

It is a dual-format cartridge that switches to NTSC or PAL based on the position of one of the difficulty switches when the machine is switched on. In other words, one version fits all.

Cheers

A

Will there be a PAL and NTSC version on the same cart? If the binary won't be released, it'd be nice to have both on the one cart

It is a dual-format cartridge that switches to NTSC or PAL based on the position of one of the difficulty switches when the machine is switched on. In other words, one version fits all.

Cheers

A

Excellent!

Andrew,

The size limitations are a problem for the diamonds. But what about this attachment? By using the darkest of the three colours on some of the edges we can soften the roundness and 'suggest' to the eye that the shape is more diamond like. Additionally the brighter outline and shading inside makes it look more like a diamond in the Atari 800 version and less like a boulder. It's not ideal, but I like it more than the triangle gfx you have at present..

post-17716-1201347481.png

Edited by happymonster

The size limitations are a problem for the diamonds. But what about this attachment?

Do I get this right?

Purple = use only the dark color

Orange = mix dark and second color

White = mix all three colors

Here is the result (can you spot the diamond? ;)).

post-45-1201348300_thumb.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Because the colours in both the Atari and C64 version included a dark band in the middle:

C64_Boulder_Dash.png

Since we can't really do a proper diamond shape, we can at least suggest the original design while using a colour that makes it stand out from the boulders and walls. Filling in the middle band doesn't really help and it starts to look similar to the boulders IMHO.

Edited by happymonster

Then making it smaller is all I can think of at the moment:
Is the diamond going to have any sort of animation? If it can glitter, blink, or at least change sprites I like the "almost solid white" one looks the best thus far.

I grew up on the Tandy 1000 version which utilized the enhanced graphics card that was built-in to the motherboard. On that version the diamons glistened. I know that's not going to happen with 2600 hardware but something like that would really make them stand out IMHO. Just my 2¢.

Then again, I could be full of it... :)

Edited by tremoloman2006

Do you mean the one from this post?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1452971

..Al

I was referring to this one Al:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1453006

It reminds me of the version I played on the Tandy 1000 for countless hours "back in the day".

Edited by tremoloman2006

Diamonds are tricky, but I acutally LIKE the current diamonds. Still, I'm open to improvements. The attached animating GIF is a grab from the two diamond animation frames currently used. The problem with diamonds is that it costs processing time to animate them, so you can't animate them TOO rapidly (especially when there's a whole screen of them, such as with an amoeba trapped, or level 9) and so you can't rely on their animation to make them look good.

post-214-1201439590.gif

Both the last two images I posted don't use all the space, so you could move them up and down, or left-right as well.

I can see why you used the triangle shape (after trying myself to solve this problem), but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the gfx for me.

Nor others, but fortunately I have <evil laugh> ABSOLUTE CONTROL over the graphics. Actually, I don't... First Star Software, Inc. have to like things, and they've expressed some concern in the past about the diamond shapes. We'll see who wins ;) But since they will, I've tried a colour change, at least...

post-214-1201442072_thumb.jpg

I actually quite like this very minor change; suggested by some of your examples above. The shape is the same as before, but diamonds are much more distinct.