IGNORED

My old Astrocade Gorf project

Gorf

What's the problem again with just calling the game something else and maybe tweaking a graphic or two to avoid any legal conflicts?

I gave Midway my word I'd lay off it altogether. They were very cool about this whole mess so I want

to extend them thier due respect. My contact was a really nice guy and very helpful. Maybe someday

it can happen. For now its a dead issue but the conversation was left as such, that if I came up with a

good idea of how it can be done, reasonably and cheaply, I will and they said they will listen. Hope

and Pray is all I can say. It's not like I want it this way...Gorf is my all time fav 2D space shooter.

Im the most sorry out of all of you and for all of you that want it. :sad:

Sounds good, but from a trademarky standpoint, you could not have picked a worse game to port. The "Gorf" game is copyrighted, but so is a game WITHIN the game! It's a shame you put all this effort into porting a game to another console, but only to have it enjoyed by 1 person, letting the copyright fuddy-duddy override it all.

Hell, I'd just release it into the wild. It's not like Midway's going to go out of business over it if it were to be released.

Re: bB.

Totally agreed. I went from facing a fairly long dev time-line, to knocking out something fun for the minigame compo, in a coupla months, an hour or two spent here and there.

IMHO, cross platform is a stretch. But, bB like environments are totally viable, IMHO. The existing syntax is pretty robust, and could work for many systems.

Anyone know of a good compiler construction tutorial? That's really the crux of it right there.

The 2600 is a largely software driven device. That actually helps with bB, again IMHO, because the limits are sharp and well defined --and expectations are not so high.

If expectations are managed on more advanced machines, it would be interesting to see the dev efforts. We might all end up playing lots of simple, fun games! If one includes the micro-controllers, retro experiences can be had on current day stuff too! That's got some appeal beyond those of us enjoying the classic systems.

Been hanging out here on AA for a long time. The latest trend, "New Games for Classic Systems" is a good one. The CV, Jag, NES, etc... are bringing in growth for this hobby that's good to see.

What's the problem again with just calling the game something else and maybe tweaking a graphic or two to avoid any legal conflicts?

I gave Midway my word I'd lay off it altogether. They were very cool about this whole mess so I want

to extend them thier due respect. My contact was a really nice guy and very helpful. Maybe someday

it can happen. For now its a dead issue but the conversation was left as such, that if I came up with a

good idea of how it can be done, reasonably and cheaply, I will and they said they will listen. Hope

and Pray is all I can say. It's not like I want it this way...Gorf is my all time fav 2D space shooter.

Im the most sorry out of all of you and for all of you that want it. :sad:

Sounds good, but from a trademarky standpoint, you could not have picked a worse game to port. The "Gorf" game is copyrighted, but so is a game WITHIN the game! It's a shame you put all this effort into porting a game to another console, but only to have it enjoyed by 1 person, letting the copyright fuddy-duddy override it all.

Hell, I'd just release it into the wild. It's not like Midway's going to go out of business over it if it were to be released.

Midway as well as other BIG name classic games companies are getting ready to pounce all over such activity.

I've been doing contract work witha BIG name and have dealt with Midway over the Gorf issue and in my talks

with these two, I can tell you, it only a matter of time before they strike. This is from the mouths of the licensing

people and the lawyers. I'm just ready to let sleeping dogs lie.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
If IP's were not an issue I'd probably release this...when it was finished of course...

post-3357-1217758291_thumb.jpg

And since I doubt any one cares, I will hopefully release this someday too...

post-3357-1217758619_thumb.jpg

Hey games are games. It's not the graphics it's the gameplay.