IGNORED

Wireless setup....

EricDeLee

What is a better wireless setup?

The current one I have is a WRT54GS (Wireless-G) Lynksys

I'm not sure why. but I seem to be dropping connection quite a bit. I just upgraded the cable dsl service to 100 mbs (<-- or something similar)

Yet when I connect my PS3, my chick's laptop seems to always disconnect. We seem to kick each other off four or five times.

It seems to dropp when I set everything to 'wired' connection as well. Which is strange.

I've been streaming video/music from my main PC... and that seems to work just fine.

Any suggestion? SHould I grab a different wireless router?

I have the same router. It's generally pretty solid. Gets the occasional drop off, but that's just wireless internet for you.

Weird problem. Give your router a good reset and make sure it has the latest firmware.

I'll give that a try. Now... if something is UPLOADING from my other computer (say a torrent or something) could that be an issue? I suspect this could be some of my problems.

The cables are all new... so I know I'm good to go on the cables. For some reason I can't seem to get my wired connection to work as well as the wireless. Half of the time I go to the wireless settings because it seems to work better. Strange stuff.

I will check into the firmware of the router though. I didn't think about that

Thanks guys... I've got some troubleshooting to do now.

1. If you can, you should look into putting the DD-WRT firmware on that router, it makes a world of difference if you're into networking and can tweak it.

2. If you prefer to keep things simple, try going into the wireless configuration section of your Linksys web interface and choosing a different wireless channel. There is probably something on the same frequency (wireless phone, microwave oven) causing interference. Try channel 1 or 11 for a while to see if that makes any difference.

3. And yes, throttle your torrents or schedule them to run while you sleep. Whatever your cable speed is (I doubt it's 100MBit), you will probably have a much slower upload bandwidth than download. Overdriving your upload will soak your connection. DD-WRT can be used to put QoS (quality of service) on certain types of traffic if you want to have it handled automatically for you.